MOJO '04 SR5

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

MOJO '04 SR5

Postby eMOJO on Fri, 11 Mar 2011 8:25 +0000

Thought I might drop my junk in here

Yet another Hilux :roll: mine is an '04 SR5 Hilux 3.0TD...

when I got it it was nearly bog stock with only a snorkle, alloy front bar and window tint. The first thing I added was my IPF Super Rally spots and some Rancho 9's to the rear.

Then in went a 2" BL
16x8 rock crawlers with 265/75/16 MickeyT MTZ's
LF 170 spots
custom C44F tube bar
GME TX3440 remote mic UHF with RFI antenna + TX680 handheld UHF
Ironman foam cell shocks front with TB wind-up
Rebuilt Aisin manual hubs
Front ARB locker
BRC diff breather kit
RTC steering damper
Under bonnet ARB air compressor

And all that gear makes it look like this...

Thanks to Stampy and Al for some of the best shots I have of my Lux ;)

Well that's about it for now... just got to work through a list as long as my arm

Cheers
E
I suffer from UAD...
Uncontrolable Awesomeness D!sorder

4ROCs Offroad + Adventure :: EPS Photography
eMOJO

Re: MOJO '04 SR5

Postby eMOJO on Fri, 11 Mar 2011 8:26 +0000

Thanks to Mr Smoo I have in my possesion a nice shiny set of body lift blocks and some bolts/nylock nuts that were mostly correct for the job... well I used 4 out of 12 anyway, which made sourcing the correct ones on a Saturday arvo quite interesting...

Here is a pic of the blocks:

Fistly we lifted the tub one side at a time by removing the bolts on one side and loosening the bolts on the other...

Pic of tub at standard height (note the measuring instrument... I don't know where this came from :D )

The bolts required for the '04 Lux tub are 4x M12 8.8 x75 with 1.25 thread and 2x M12 8.8 x75 with 1.5 thread with nylock nuts (two rear mounts). We chased these up at Repco and they had just enough in stock for us...

Pic of tub blocks installed:

Pic of the finished tub height:

The only issue with the tub lift is the centre crossmember of the tub doesn't sit on the chassis anymore (shown in the third pic)... I may have to rectify this for the DOT inspection. We aligned the tub but only nipped up two of the bolts until the cab is done.

Well that was the easy part done... time to get the jack out now.
I suffer from UAD...

eMOJO

Postby eMOJO on Fri, 11 Mar 2011 8:27 +0000

The BL on the cab went quite smoothly as well which we did one side at a time... we only had one jack, so this worked fine as per the tub.

Things we checked first were:

1. fan cowling - the '04 lux as a 2 piece shroud so we removed the bottom
2. steering shaft - just loosened of the spline bolts
3. brake lines - had heaps of length to play with
4. fuel filler line - removed the bolts near the cap (will have to get a longer hose)
5. radiator hoses - these were ok but the top hose will come back to a better angle when I lower the radiator.
6. gear stick shrouds - removed for this process

Pic of bolt location rear of cab:

Pic of bolt location front of cab:

Pic of front block location:

Pics from rear and front with blocks in one side:

When doing the cab blocks I notice that some of the original bolts were loose! It would pay to get under your truck and check them as these had not been touched from factory I'd imagine...

I checked the alignment on the cab and was out a little at the rear so I pulled the bottle jack out, snuck it up between the chassis and side step horizontally and staightend the cab up perfectly, bolt down tight and then check the alignment on the tub and tightend up the bolts
I suffer from UAD...

eMOJO

Postby eMOJO on Fri, 11 Mar 2011 8:28 +0000

The last part of the job was to bring the bullbar up as far as we could (it's only temporary anyway), tighten up the steeing shaft bolts, make the required adjustments to the fuel filler hose put part of the gear stick shroud back on.

Bolts used on the cab were 4x M10 8.8 x175 with 1.5 thread and nylock nuts and 2x M12 8.8 x160 (used 180mm but had to pack out, I'm chasing up a set of 160mm) with 1.5 thread and nylock nuts.

Pic of front of lux BL finished:

Pic of part of side:

Yep the 29.5" rubber looks quite average with the BL now in, but I have a remedy for this problem... enter Fourby's

The issue I encountered with the gear shift on the lux was, beside it being lower and the rubber boots getting in the way, reverse was actually pushing the side of the plastic cover out... not happy

So I went out to my bro's work and we decided that re-shaping the gear stick was the best option... bring on the oxy Bwhahaha

It didn't take long and we had all the clearances working well. We also cut the centre section of the metal plate out that holds the rubber boot down to free up movement between the two boots (gear stick and stubby lever).

Cheers
Erren
I suffer from UAD...

eMOJO

Postby eMOJO on Fri, 11 Mar 2011 8:28 +0000

Here's a couple of extra items added so far...

Diff breathers from Billet Race Craft... really happy with these :thumb: I've had them totally covered in mud and they just hose clean!

and for the air supply duties an ARB compressor... these are as good as they say but get very hot!

That's about all for now, I just have to keep working through the list
I suffer from UAD...

eMOJO

Postby eMOJO on Fri, 11 Mar 2011 8:29 +0000

Well it's been a while and I've done a few mods to the front end of the lux...

Picked up a set of Aisin's cheap and rebuilt them...

Went out to Glen's place and pulled the ADD's off, you'll also notice in this pic I have a new set of Ironman foam cell shocks up front... these were dirt cheap and work great - thanks Zordo

All installed... I ditched the normal bolts for the cover plate and used some s/steel hex drive bolts and painted them full black to match the rock crawlers with the motif's ground back to alloy before clear coating them... just a little bit of bling LOL

The reason behind installing manual hubs is after my little incident at Coffs this will give me more options for driving any distance with a breakage and for what they cost it's cheap insurance :D

We also trimmed the top bump stops after I wound the T/B's

Cheers
E
I suffer from UAD...

eMOJO

Postby eMOJO on Fri, 11 Mar 2011 8:29 +0000

I spent some time in the shed the sarvo and got the diff stripped down and cleaned... pretty easy job really except for getting the crown wheel off :a4: I ended up cheating by taking a trip to Bunnings to pick up a cheap impact gun :h4: ...I should have bought one of these years ago!

This is how the locker arrived in the third

The center out...

Crown wheel off and center opened up for inspection...

Close up of the brass fittings... Chris the center tube that goes in the air line is a little bent but should be fine.

The seals seem to be in good nick also...
I suffer from UAD...

eMOJO

Postby eMOJO on Fri, 11 Mar 2011 8:30 +0000

Anyway here's the pics from my effort on Saturday... before the rain put and end to my progress :i1:

I suffer from UAD...

eMOJO

Postby eMOJO on Fri, 11 Mar 2011 8:30 +0000

With a break in the weather today I got cracking :l3:

old spring, new spring pic

flex pics... I've picked up a minimum of 2" droop from the old springs but the shocks are limiting the tuck on the opposite side... when I invert the rears this should work better.

Can't wait for them to bed in properly and soften up
I suffer from UAD...

eMOJO

Postby eMOJO on Fri, 11 Mar 2011 8:31 +0000

Still got that locker sitting in a box, with the sleeves and bearings pressed on... I grabbed Micks RD132 yesterday morning then headed out to Highfields to start the marathon. While stripped and rebuilt the two diffs, I'm putting my LSD in Micks 3rd and reinstalling it in his runner, Brett made up some tools to remove the wheel bearings that were stuffed (see pic!). Big thanks to Brett for all his help and to his uncle for using his shed and hoist... also thanks to Glen for dropping around and setting up the diffs.

Even had time for a BBQ... how do you like your bearings done?

This is why the bearings needed replacing

My LSD into Micks 3rd

RD132 ready to build
I suffer from UAD...

eMOJO

Postby eMOJO on Fri, 11 Mar 2011 8:32 +0000

Today I headed out west to Shaun's place to install my rock lights and after a little technical issue, the lights had an internal earth so we kept blowing fuses, we got everything fired up and am well pleased with the outcome... great coverage from just 4 lights. Big thanks to Shaun to helping me out with this as that earth prob would have me still scratching my head :s6:

...the pics

I suffer from UAD...

eMOJO

Part of the puzzle arrived the other day, gave it a clean the sarvo and it came up looking new!

Still waiting on an order confirmation from All Pro Offroad for the other bits
I suffer from UAD...

eMOJO

Another piece of the puzzle arrived today :g9:

Here's a photo Paul took when we were on a recovery mission at the Moto-X w/end... of course we took all the fun tracks in

Ok, here's the angle...

Last edited by eMOJO on Fri, 11 Mar 2011 8:41 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
I suffer from UAD...

eMOJO

Postby eMOJO on Fri, 11 Mar 2011 8:33 +0000

Yeah, I painted them white, just used what I had in the shed... you can hardly see them from the rear but that will change with the new rear bar - see how it goes :w2:

I've raised the front another 30mm and it's sitting really nice now... just need some 33s now to fill the guards a bit more

Last edited by eMOJO on Fri, 11 Mar 2011 8:41 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
I suffer from UAD...

eMOJO

Postby eMOJO on Fri, 11 Mar 2011 8:33 +0000

Got a call this morning from the UPS dude... so a quick drive to Brisvagas and voila

Just waiting now on some kit that Brooksy is bringing in with his order from PolyPerformance in the US then it's off to see Buddy :d3:

Worked on fiting up the rear bar today, had some cutting to do on the rear lower panel which was good fun then once mounted up I measured up and made up some templates for the mods I need to do for the 2" BL

1. Taping up ready to cut

2. Cutting done... I cleaned everything up with my Dremel

3. Bar in position... I may need to straighten that lower panel :w2:

...those axle stands extend to just over 700mm and they weren't tall enough - let's just say my departure angle has had quite an improvement

...once the Scenic trip is finished I'll be chopping up the HR bar for the mounting bits I need and eventually the tow hitch if I feel that I need it - I would be getting either Bubs or Brooksy to do that part of it though
I suffer from UAD...

eMOJO

Postby eMOJO on Fri, 11 Mar 2011 8:34 +0000

So I picked up my mates MIG and started work on the rear mounts for the bar... had my mate Jerry come round to set the MIG up and give me a hand... been a while since I've welded anything, was putting down some decent beads but handed the gun over to the pro. At 175amps the MIG was a bit under powered for 6PL but we got a good result in the end.

I am going to fish plate the gap so that load from the recovery point transfers directly the chassis mounting bolts

you'll see in this pic I've bevelled the plates 3-4mm to get good penetration but keeping the weld flat... this face will be against the chassis rail

Hopefully get some time tomorrow to fab up the fish plates and tabs for the rear LED's

Well the rear bar is finished :d4: just need to clean it up and paint it now...

Haven't done any serious welding since 1989, the first few welds were a bit wobbly due to the mask being to bright, it was only a 10, so I put some sunnies on under the helmet so I could see what was going on in the pool...

pretty happy with the results

I can't remember when I've had so much fun working on a project... need to get my other shed up so I've got more space to work in
Last edited by eMOJO on Mon, 01 Aug 2011 2:15 +0000, edited 2 times in total.
I suffer from UAD...

eMOJO

Postby eMOJO on Fri, 11 Mar 2011 8:34 +0000

Well the other switches arrived from the US today and came with wiring diagrams :g8:

The 'backup lights' switch can toggle to be on with the reverse lights, off or switched on stand alone... and my Narva LED backup lights

I'll be saving the 'nav lights' and 'work lights' switches for some future upgrades.

I'd been looking for a more unique/descrete number plate light as the hilux ones are fully concealed anyway and I didn't like the bulky Hella or Narva types... so after a bit of searching I found the for $15USD which arrived today in the mail...

LED number plate bolts

I'll change the nuts out to nylock ones
Last edited by eMOJO on Fri, 11 Mar 2011 8:39 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
I suffer from UAD...

eMOJO

Postby eMOJO on Fri, 11 Mar 2011 8:35 +0000

All the external barwork is now complete... just got a few other pieces of the puzzle to get done for underneath - just waiting on the funds to do it.

Here's a couple of recent shots...

I suffer from UAD...

eMOJO

Postby eMOJO on Fri, 11 Mar 2011 8:38 +0000

This thing is now sporting a set of 33" KM2's... will be re-gearing the diffs in the next couple of months
I suffer from UAD...

eMOJO

Postby helmut79 on Sat, 12 Mar 2011 12:24 +0000

Mate, this Lux is a weapon, top job
Mick
FCCW

“This is anger management......I’m channelling it into something and then I destroy it!”

My Build viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6869

New Member Sandpit viewforum.php?f=83
helmut79

Next

Return to Member Build Ups