Digby' really slow build

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Digby' really slow build

Postby Digby on Sun, 21 May 2017 8:30 +0000

So I have made some small low cost mods to the truck. The back history here is when I joined the forum, I was going to buy a newer Hilux, so the research began. Then it turned ugly, as my wife got cancer and the world was all bills and medical. So that plan went out the door. She for better and things looked up, then just as we were going to purchase a 2014 Hilux, I found an older model 2000 in too good a nick to pass up. Which meant the bank balance was healthier and we could still do some trips and touring. Then she got cancer again, which meant that the build on the truck has slowed significantly. That said I have done some work on the truck with small jobs while I was on leave from work supporting her. Image

This is how I got the car.

This is after some small additions, awning, modified roll bars to take the awning and future lights, tool box in the tub, new lights and a uhf.

A second awning was added for a tent, and a reverse led bar, and roof mounted led light on the roll bar.

A new stereo with reversing camera and Supafit seat covers

That is about it so far, looking to find a decent winching bull bar, and eventually going to replace the suspension as it is all original underneath, and needs a freshen up. That said it rides pretty well for a 16 year old car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Digby

Re: Digby' really slow build

Postby Digby on Sun, 21 May 2017 8:33 +0000

I will post better sized pictures next time.... sorry all
Digby

Postby TOYZX on Sun, 21 May 2017 9:08 +0000

Nice one mate. Had the same model years ago, great truck! Hope the missus is doin well, all the best!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby brian.bozo on Mon, 22 May 2017 7:46 +0000

Wesh the Mrs all the very best from all of us here.
Still got my 1990 dual cab that I bought in 1991, Still good after 300,000k.
Also have a 2009 model. They don't make them like they used to. They used to make them tough.
brian.bozo

Postby Digby on Mon, 22 May 2017 8:41 +0000

Thanks Toyz and Brian, she is on the mend again,radiation has just been finished and we are looking to plan a night away camping to test out some of the gear. Our daughter wants to go just for toasted marshmallows.

I have always liked this shape of Hilux, and I am pretty happy to have a car I have been able to do all the work to date myself. Takes me a while but I like to have it just the way I want it. Most of the gear I have bought has been used, I have either fixed it or modified it to suit. Gumtree has been my best friend. Best money I spent was the do it yourself manual car manual for $10. It has been invaluable with learning about the car. The roll bars, rear tool box, tubliner, Towbar ( Hayman Reece rear step type I colour coded to match the car, just a rattle can job, looks good though) and uhf have all been bought, fixed and installed by me. The awnings and lights are 4wd supercenter, they seem to be pretty good to date, quality is pretty good and the lights are bright!

I have just put in a front and rear diff breather kit on it this weekend, a bit of playing around but all good in the end. I got it off eBay for a tick under $50. Seems to be the goods at the moment. I guess the proof will be in the use.

Currently prowling gumtree for a winch bullbar, but having trouble finding a good one to suit, if anyone out there has one for sale, let me know.
Digby

Return to Member Build Ups