The new (to me!) rig

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

The new (to me!) rig

Postby coopa96 on Sat, 10 Oct 2015 4:07 +0000

G'day all.

So there she is. My upgrade to a dual cab. 2001 KZN165R 218 000kms

Went to go have a look at her and ended up relieving the car yard of her. No major mods.

Not huge on the bonnet-mounted lightbar.... Think i'll move that. Was initially thinking of removing it but turned it on last night while collecting pizza and night became day! First time I've seen a lightbar in action and was impressed. Anyway, back to the car. Drive line is rocking stocko, PO put some MT bajas ST on it. Has a ladder rack which will be handy for me and I'd like to add a removable canvas canopy on the tray so perhaps I can incorporate the ladder rack in the design. Also have a CB and new head unit on the radio with Bluetooth. These may seem minor things to you all but coming from a 40 series Landcruiser, these creature comforts (even though fifteen years old) are new to me! Oh and air con!!

Happy with my purchase.

Cheers.
coopa96

Re: The new (to me!) rig

Postby Cruiser100s on Sat, 10 Oct 2015 4:51 +0000

As long as you are happy mate that is all that matters. Congrats on the "new" rig
Cruiser100s

Postby Rocket55 on Sat, 10 Oct 2015 7:07 +0000

Nice rig, what are your plans for it?

Thread moved to "Members Buildups"
Cheers Rod
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Bitumen ...... another waste of public funds
Rocket55

Postby john253a on Sat, 10 Oct 2015 8:45 +0000

All I can say is do it right do it once
Fit all your accessories first
Then do suspenshion
Tyres last

That way car is at full weight so ride height won't change once suspenshion is done
You'll see many do lift then add dual batteries and a side scrub bars or change alloy to steel bar maybe even add a winch
Then the front start dropping and your 2" lift is now 1" if your lucky

There's a heap of good little mods to be done
Like if you fit bigger tyres look at fitting 80series master and booster
There is a cheap disk brake conversion for rear that runs Earlie 80's front rotors and callapers
farting is alot like jxxxxxg off. both provide instant gratification, but neither is a long term solution to the actual problem......................
john253a

Postby coopa96 on Sat, 10 Oct 2015 8:48 +0000

Plans = Daily driver / tourer.

I would like to be able to take her down the beach for a day or up to a couple of weeks and be set up well for each scenario. For me and my family, as a minimum I suspect this will require:
- canopy (canvas)
- dual battery + accessory plugs
- BBQ stowage area
- ?hot water shower
- ?air compressor

The ? are "queries" as to whether I really need those or not. An avid 4x4 friend wants me to lift it, add a winch, and consider bigger tyres but as it will predominantly be my daily driver, I don't see the value in a lift and tyre investment.

Cheers.

Peter
coopa96

Postby aandy on Sat, 10 Oct 2015 10:16 +0000

You mentioned beach, take the question mark off the compressor, its the only thing you must have.
aandy

Postby john253a on Sun, 11 Oct 2015 10:48 +0000

Def beach driving requires flat tyres for a wider footprint so you'll need that comp,

Idd consider either a 2" lift or body lift and run 31x10.5 as a min for beach

If got a ln106 as a daily with 3 baby seats in back has 398k on clock 2.8d 33x11.5 and close on 5" of lift (adding another 0.5" and high steer by Christmas as I want to run 34" tyres)
My misses is 5th nothing with no issues getting in

Dual batts if you have the need
I have a dual setup but too the second batt out as I don't have a need for it unless I plane to do some heavy winching
farting is alot like jxxxxxg off. both provide instant gratification, but neither is a long term solution to the actual problem......................
john253a

Postby coopa96 on Tue, 24 Nov 2015 7:33 +0000

Well the first "mods" are complete.

Two baby seats in the back! :ugeek:

Have removed the lighbar from the bonnet which in my opinion was a crazy place to mount one.

Am getting my recovery gear together ... just need to get my hands on an equaliser strap and a tow hitch to put in the towbar. Also haven't made a decision on my recovery points at the front. The rated recovery hooks appear to be the cheapest and easiest option as I can't find anyone who makes bolt on recovery points. Tried the big names, ARB and TJM, and they told me they don't do anything for the pre-2005 luxes. The advice I've received a couple of times now is just go to a fab shop and get some made up.

Hopefully will get a compressor for Christmas so that will take care of my beach run plans and I also really need to come up with a canopy solution so I can take things in the back and protect them from weather.

The tray currently has a removable rack at the rear, and I'd really like to get something made in canvas that I can put over the racks so I have a canopy when I want, but then also remove the canvas canopy and still use the tray for carting timber, etc. Anyone have any ideas or have done this with theirs?

The missus and kids are loving the lux. The rear seats are much higher than my wife's car so the kids love the higher view from their seats. The wife simply loves having a bit of grunt again (thanks to the turbo).

Cheers all.

Peter
coopa96

Postby john253a on Tue, 24 Nov 2015 10:21 +0000

Have a look at 4x4 super centre there compressors rate really well and there winchers are the same
john253a

Postby coopa96 on Mon, 07 Dec 2015 6:05 +0000

Got a styleside tub and canopy today! Giddy up! Hopefully easy bolt on affair!

Wanted a secure area for more space for the beach gear but also for running around town with the kidlets.
coopa96

Postby coopa96 on Mon, 07 Dec 2015 6:07 +0000

Will post a pic once I get it on.
coopa96

Postby pipert on Fri, 18 Dec 2015 5:04 +0000

Looks good mate. You seem to have most of the necessary mods sorted. If you get an ARB air compressor, you could look at adding a front and/or rear ARB air locker to the vehicle.

It depends on what you want to use your vehicle for. If its more for touring, then you can do without a locker.
2000 Dual Cab Hilux "Tonka" LN167
pipert

Canopy

Postby coopa96 on Wed, 27 Apr 2016 9:45 +0000

G'day all.

Been a while since I've posted.

I changed the tray on the back to the canopy in the photo. Not long after purchasing a style side tub and flexiglass canopy, one of these wow canopies came up and that is what I wanted initially so I sold the style side and threw the wow canopy on. I hadn't fitted the rear door on the canopy yet in the photo.

I ended up getting a couple of recovery hooks for the front as I have had no joy finding any after market recovery points for this model. Maybe will get something fabbed up in the future.

Remaining on the to do list:
compressor
fridge
water tank (maybe)
winch (maybe)
tidy up rear lights wiring

Happy with progress so far though.

Cheers

Peter
coopa96

Return to Member Build Ups