98 D/C hilux build

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

98 D/C hilux build

Postby 3rzfe+t lux on Tue, 03 Mar 2015 8:33 +0000

hi all, though I might put a build thread up here for you guys to check out.

I may as well introduce my self first,

my names Dan, im 21 and im an apprentice boilermaker.

ive had a few Toyota trucks in the past, my first one was a 93 single cab 2.8 hilux, my very first car.

heres a pic of what it looked like when I first got it. pretty stock, low, small tyres and slow haha

I ended up lifting it, putting 31" maxxis big horns on it, made a sheet metal bumper, made a new tray, turboed it, front mount intercooler, stainless snorkel, locked front and rear diffs and etc

ended up selling it and buying my dads 03 1hz powered 105 series cruiser,

what it looked like when I first bought it

then I decided to chop it into a extra cab ute,

ignore the direct injection on the sticker haha

I added 35x13.5 maxxis mudzillas on 16x10 rims, turboed the 1hz donk, front mount intercooler, made a tray for it, super flex arms, front and rear lockers etc

I eventually sold it and ive been with out a forby for some time now and I got the itch again, I wanted something that was lighter then the cruiser yet bigger the a single cab lux. I eventually found something that fitted what I wanted and was inside my price range a few weeks ago.

a 98 model dual cab hilux with a 3rz power plant.

ive done some little things in the time that ive now owned it, I installed a stereo system, wound the torsion bars up in the front to level it out, added a light bar, did a major service including new plugs and leads, painted the wheels black.

installed a digital volt gauge wired through a dpdt switch so I can view both the cranking battery and the aux battery (when I get one) on the one screen.

and that about were im up to, but this is where things are goin to get interesting. ive ordered this,

a gt30/76 turbo as well as all the parts I need to make the turbo manifold for it witch should be here this week end fingers crossed.

im eager to hear your comments.

Thanks, Dan.
3rzfe+t lux

Re: 98 D/C hilux build

Postby mattwhite on Tue, 03 Mar 2015 9:13 +0000

Welcome aboard. Always wondered what a turbo petrol 4wd would be like. Quad bike with a roof? Good luck with it, doesn't look like you need much but. Any plans for different front suspension? I had one of those but factory turbo and felt the front suspension really let it down.
mattwhite

Postby 3rzfe+t lux on Wed, 04 Mar 2015 3:48 +0000

Yea it should be a bit of fun I think, as for the front suspension. I don't have any plans as such for it at the moment. But I'm sure that fairly likely to change.

Thanks, Dan
3rzfe+t lux

Postby 3rzfe+t lux on Thu, 05 Mar 2015 6:48 +0000

hi all,
my turbo, exhaust manifold flange as well the t3 flange to bolt to the turbo all showed up today. gonna pick up the steam pipe bends and other little bits I need for the manifold tomorrow arvo and get to work on it.

heres the snail in all its glory.

the lux waiting to go under the knife tomorrow arvo.

Thanks, Dan.
3rzfe+t lux

Postby pipert on Fri, 06 Mar 2015 12:21 +0000

It's coming along good mate. Are you planning to slap on some 33's eventually? A 2" suspension with 2" body lift would be all you need.
2000 Dual Cab Hilux "Tonka" LN167
pipert

Postby 3rzfe+t lux on Mon, 09 Mar 2015 7:21 +0000

hi pipert,

im thinking of adding 32s or 33s probably 32s for legal reasons.

on another note I got all the parts for my turbo manifold, got it all set up and welded out came out pretty good I recon im happy with it anyway.

hopefully I should have it all goin by the week end.

cheers, Dan
3rzfe+t lux

Postby 3rzfe+t lux on Tue, 10 Mar 2015 7:51 +0000

hi all,
got the turbo oil lines plumbed up today, fabed up and install the temporary cross over pipe. got it all bolted on tight. mounted the new fuel pressure regulator and a few other odd jobs done.
hopefully fingers crossed ill be able to go for a start tomorrow.

3rzfe+t lux

Postby mattwhite on Tue, 10 Mar 2015 10:06 +0000

Jealous of the welding skills.
mattwhite

Postby 3rzfe+t lux on Fri, 27 Mar 2015 7:13 +0000

hi all been a while since my last post as ive been waiting for this to turn up.

my engine management system. A Haltech platinum sprint 500 and a haltech wide band 02 controller.
ive got it all mostly wired up now. just a few little bits to go.

also got them mounted in the top glove box. should be nice and safe up there as well as easy to access.

thanks, Dan
3rzfe+t lux

Postby 3rzfe+t lux on Sun, 29 Mar 2015 1:59 +0000

It's alive! :D :D

finished up the wiring and loaded the base tune on the ecu. hit the key and it fired up. pretty happy as ive never really wired or played with ECU's before. it ran pretty rough to begin with. but after fiddling with it a bit it seams to be running fairly good now. took it for a drive and im very impressed at the moment how good it goes.

just need to finish all the little bits off now and get it mod plated and the turbo install will be complete. then time to make it more of a touring truck. (I know turbo petrol tourer sounds silly haha :lol: )
3rzfe+t lux

Return to Member Build Ups