The old twin turbo Hilux build up

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

The old twin turbo Hilux build up

Postby Web-eng on Wed, 11 Feb 2015 2:50 +0000

Thought I'd do a quick thread on the build up of my old 99 model Hilux.

I bought this vehicle about 7 - 8 years ago to replace my even older 85 dual cab Hilux.
It’s a 99 extra cab 4WD originally powered by a 2.7 litre EFI 4 cylinder.
I bought this vehicle with the intention of doing an engine conversion so I pulled the standard engine out as soon as I got it home. I first fitted a Toyota 1JZGTE (2.5 litre 6 cylinder with twin non sequential turbos) to it which I bought as an engine conversion package. I did all of the wiring and replaced the usual - timing belt, seals, water pump, thermostat, etc, before I started on the conversion.

I fitted it to a Toyota Dyna 5 speed gearbox with an early 90s model Hilux transfer case adapted to it which I took out of my old 85 Hilux which had a 7MGTE (older model Supra turbo engine) in it.
The input shaft on the Dyna gearbox wasn't long enough to reach the spigot bearing in the back of the new 1JZ engine so I extended the input shaft by 30mm. This was fine except that it only left about 5mm of spline in the standard JZ Supra clutch which I am using. To fix this I made a new centre out of 4140 steel with an extended spline section sticking 30mm out the back of the clutch and had a spline cut in it to suit the Dyna input shaft.

Once all of this was done I made some new engine mounts, modified the fire wall a little, fitted the engine, mounted the intercooler, new radiator and thermo fan, patched in the wiring loom, welded up the intercooler pipe work and a surge tank and fitted a high volume fuel pump and welded up an exhaust using 3” stainless mandrel bends.
As far as engine conversions go, (and I've done a few) it wasn't the easiest of conversions as they are quite a large engine in a reasonably small engine bay. Various modifications had to be done to fit it all in.

Anyway, now up and running, it seemed to have plenty of top end power but it was severely lacking the low down torque that I had wanted. It probably had less than the original engine and wasn't even close to what the 7MGTE engine had in my old 85 Hilux.

After all that work, I was devastated...... :(

I drove it around for about a month before I decided that it just didn’t have the low down power that I was after. So I advertised the 1JZGTE as a complete conversion package ready to run and bought a 2JZ-GTE front cut (3 litre 6 cylinder with twin sequential turbos). I sold the 1JZ and made enough out of it to pay for the 2JZ front cut and a few spares - timing belt, water pump, oil seals, etc and swapped it all over. It only took a weekend because most of the work was already done for the 1JZ. I only had to make a new front section for the exhaust, modify the firewall a little more, and alter the air inlet from the air box.

The wiring was patched in again and it was time for a test drive. The difference was incredible! It was worth all of the effort and was a completely different vehicle to drive.
I took it in to run it on the dyno to check the A/F ratio and see how much power it had over the old Hilux with the 7MG in it which had 170Hp – 127Kw @ wheels. It turned out a whopping 267Hp – 199Kw @ the wheels.
Not bad for a Hilux and not bad for a completely stock standard engine.

This is basically how I've driven it for the past 7 - 8 years but now that the new Patrolux build up is under way, (See:Patrolux Build ) the engine and gearbox have once again come out and a non turbo 2JZ engine has been fitted along with the original gearbox and transfer case.
This vehicle will be sold once I get the Patrolux up and running which will be a sad day indeed as it really has been a great vehicle! Just not enough seats any more!

1JZ-GTE twin turbo engine fitted.

Front mount intercooler fitted. I wish I could have driven it around like this!!!

Out with the 1JZ and in with the bigger 2JZ sequential twin turbo engine!

3" stainless exhaust.

And this is the new 2JZ non turbo engine that has replaced the twin turbo one.
99 Twin Turbo Hilux build up
PATROLUX build up - 05 cab on GU Patrol chassis LSA engine swap
Web-eng

Re: The old twin turbo Hilux build up

Postby LawrenceAllen on Wed, 27 Jan 2016 4:44 +0000

hey mate im looking at doing this in a rn90 2wd, how much of the fire wall had to be cut it currently has the 22r motor and stock box in it
LawrenceAllen

Postby Web-eng on Thu, 28 Jan 2016 7:03 +0000

Shouldn't have to cut anything but you will need to do a bit of panel beating near where the hand brake cable fitting is to clear the intake pipe on the rear turbo. If you are fitting a single turbo it won't need to be done.
Web-eng

Postby Web-eng on Thu, 28 Jan 2016 7:04 +0000

This vehicle is now for sale if anyone is interested. PM me if you are!
Web-eng

Postby Cameron12 on Sun, 03 Sep 2017 12:40 +0000

Hey man,
Are you able to reupload the photos of your ute and engine bay, or link me to them somehow?
Just real keen to see what it looks like.

Cheers, Cam
Cameron12

Return to Member Build Ups