Oldhilux's '99 build

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Oldhilux's '99 build

Postby oldhilux on Sat, 17 May 2014 3:51 +0000

Starting a build thread finally

Currently I have a number of little projects on the go at the moment.

I would like your thoughts on this gadget holder idea.

My concerns are:
- I think it is illegal to use a home made one as I think gadget holders need to be a commercial made product only.
- It is mostly made of aluminum and I reckon it's probably too dangerous in a cab (e.g. in an accident).

Anyway, it has been fun to make what I have done so far as it has got me started making stuff and I am learning as I go...

Requirements:
- the gadget is supposed to hold a gps as high as I can without obscuring the view,
- be located in a position a passenger can also reach to operate it
- be able to lift the gps and rotate it forward so it can pick up the initial (when getting into the car) satellite signal faster than if it was only in the normal dash position.
- be solid/secure so it doesn't vibrate
- require no holes/damage to the existing dashboard
- have potential to hold other gadgets

Well, it sort of works as I envisioned. It can additionally hold a UHF hand set (at the bottom of the holder) and a external bluetooth microphone can be added to the protruding right side support.

Here is a link to more pics

If I can be convinced it is worth continuing to make it (because of my concerns or any others that may get raised), I would then get it welded up properly and painted black.

Thanks for any thoughts!
Last edited by oldhilux on Thu, 22 May 2014 3:48 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
oldhilux

Re: Oldhilux's '99 build

Postby knnthyp19 on Thu, 22 May 2014 8:41 +0000

That's a good start mate :) I'm thinking off designing and building one for my SR5 too but that have to wait I guess but your build gave me some insights on how to do mine.
There are five important things in my life that I can't live without: Beer, My Girl, My 4 Wheeler, Beer, and Whisky. And Beer.
knnthyp19

Postby Lloyds99lux on Thu, 22 May 2014 10:36 +0000

Looks good, but from the pic doesn't look like you can have drinks in the cup holder? :D
Lloyds99lux

Postby oldhilux on Thu, 22 May 2014 3:44 +0000

Lloyds99lux wrote:Looks good, but from the pic doesn't look like you can have drinks in the cup holder? :D

Thanks, yes, the right cup holder is obstructed, but you can swing the GPS away or use the left cup holder instead. I added a couple of pics to the link in the first post to show what it looks like with drinks in the cup holder (you might need to refresh the page in the browser to load the new images).
oldhilux

Postby oldhilux on Thu, 22 May 2014 4:25 +0000

knnthyp19 wrote:That's a good start mate :) I'm thinking off designing and building one for my SR5 too but that have to wait I guess but your build gave me some insights on how to do mine.

Thanks knnthyp19. I did make an earlier version that fit on the right side of the dash. It held well. If I were to build it again I would probably make it a bit smaller. It has plenty of space to attach gadgets. It doesn't hit the door or pillar, it just looks like it.

Here is a link to more pics
oldhilux

Postby knnthyp19 on Thu, 22 May 2014 7:06 +0000

Tell you what, I like the square frame design better! If its up to me i too will make it smaller and make it in such a way that it might look like a motorcycle's side mirror: a rotate-able vertical pillar (mod a door hinge maybe?) and then two rectangular frames to mount a smartphone and a dedicated GPS device...what do you think? :)
There are five important things in my life that I can't live without: Beer, My Girl, My 4 Wheeler, Beer, and Whisky. And Beer.
knnthyp19

Postby oldhilux on Thu, 22 May 2014 7:44 +0000

knnthyp19 wrote:Tell you what, I like the square frame design better! If its up to me i too will make it smaller and make it in such a way that it might look like a motorcycle's side mirror: a rotate-able vertical pillar (mod a door hinge maybe?) and then two rectangular frames to mount a smartphone and a dedicated GPS device...what do you think? :)

You would like 2 pivoting frames attached to the one (same) vertical post? Is this so your passenger can access the GPS / phone a little easier and it can better face you when you need it? Could be good if you can prevent them from unexpectedly pivoting / rattling when driving. I think it would drive me batty if the passenger kept moving it and left it there
oldhilux

Postby knnthyp19 on Thu, 22 May 2014 8:02 +0000

I didn't think about the passenger when I thought this up, what I had in mind was that it should be adjustable when I need it to be, say when I need a good look at the GPS so I'll twist it a little so that it has a comfortable viewing angle (at least horizontally). Oh yeah I was thinking about the getting it to stay in the position without it moving around but I haven't figure out how, tho I have this crazy idea of utilising nuts and bolts to control it's movement...,maybe I'll get it sketched and see how it would look like aye? :D
knnthyp19

Postby oldhilux on Sun, 12 Oct 2014 3:04 +0000

I'm now making a cabinet and a battery support.

Looking for advise if the cabinet idea is dopey as I haven't seen it done like this (pic below), so I am guessing it is dopey. I don't want to proceed if there will be problems that can't be overcome. I want the drawers vertical as I dont want horizontal drawers as sitting stuff up on top them the stuff might just fly straight out the windows and I prefer to fold up tables on their side vertically for easy access and have weight lower such as esky and jerry cans.

I'll replace the mammoth mat with a thin one from bunnings which will make the cabinet stand more flat. The cabinet will be bolted at each end through the tub thru into a 5mm thick flat bar underneath spanning a few ridges for support. At the headboard end the cabinet will be clamped (to minimise rocking hopefully) in two ways:
1.) to the horizontal metal which joins the canopy and tub (I think it is part of the ARB canopy product) which seems stronger than bolting to the headboard.
2.) a horizontal bar (brace) joining the cabinet to the closest tub wall (right side). The cabinet seems very rigid so not sure it needs another horizontal brace at the front end, but I am open to that.

I don't do too much off roading but I like the creek crossings and smaller challenges but avoid the more risky stuff and not often have the vehicle rocking side to side (but the setup needs to be solid regardless).

The battery support is to offer no support to the cabinet as it may be removed.

Oh, not shown is a 5mm flat rectangle shape metal support (same size and shape as cabinet footpint) that bolts through the tub. The cabinet sits on top of it and bolts just to the frame/support which makes for easier cabinet removal (the cabinet can come out but leaving the support still bolted securely to the tub).

The cabinet will have bottom drawer for food, middle drawer pots and pans, top, I don't know, odds and ends... not planning on overloading it especially in the upper drawers.

Any thoughts welcomed, cheers
oldhilux

Postby john253a on Sun, 12 Oct 2014 4:11 +0000

No one does it like this for the same resion toolboxes have a sticker on the side saying not for use in a car

The weight of the frame will weigh so much to support the load you'll need the jerry can just to cover the extra fuel use

If you do go down this road building up and not flat
The entire frame will need to be out of atleast 40x40x4 angle with guests and cross supports

I would think you would be much better off building flat and only using half the floor,
And make your batt box and other stuff on top

I had flat draws full width in my 47series (took out the 4 rear seats) they sat 20cm high and were awsome at that height

If you do plane on a batt in the rear either vent it outside or use a sealed batt for safty resions
farting is alot like jxxxxxg off. both provide instant gratification, but neither is a long term solution to the actual problem......................
john253a

Postby oldhilux on Wed, 15 Oct 2014 7:23 +0000

Appreciate the feedback, thanks!
oldhilux

Postby oldhilux on Wed, 14 Oct 2015 3:30 +0000

I went ahead and built a vertical cabinet/drawers being mindful to keep the weight down. The first cabinet I built all of aluminium then tossed it thinking it would never hold together. Then made this stainless version.

Last week on October long weekend took it to Bendethera Valley and drove all the tracks which shook it madly and it is still solid as a rock in there, no budging it, so I'm happy about that.

The top drawer currently just contains some clothes.

I built it vertically as I wanted heavy jerry cans and recovery stuff low. I didn't want stuff sitting on top of horizontal drawers at windows level.

More details and more pics here.

oldhilux

Postby oldhilux on Mon, 09 Nov 2015 3:01 +0000

Made a rear shelf above the spare wheel that also incorporates a light stand and antenna mounts:

More details and pics here.
oldhilux

Return to Member Build Ups