the cleanest 2WD diesel in WA

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

the cleanest 2WD diesel in WA

Postby kimba on Sat, 23 Jun 2012 8:57 +0000

OK - big call, I get it.
I am going to throw out a condition hahaha
Condition 1 - Pre 2000 without a full showcar rebuild

I picked the car up out of a three week old autotrader in june 2011 and instantly fell in love with what i call Harry the Hilux - definately not original, I bet a few of you guys have named your lux this

I had just come off a 4WD petrol triton with a thirsty v6 - im a full time uni student working part time for almost minimum wage - definitely couldnt afford to maintain a petrol with 3500000+ on the clock

Harry is a 1996 ln86R 2.8D (3L) cab chassis
This was the day after i bought it :D
kimba

Re: the cleanest 2WD diesel in WA

Postby kimba on Sat, 23 Jun 2012 9:26 +0000

the point of me in this car is not to have a hotted up truck that is a chick magnet (a taken man of 4 years speaking here and for those who read my intro thread, im only 19 - i wonder how myself sometimes haha)
the point is to keep a tidy/economical/immaculate/problem free truck
I could have gone out and spent hundreds- thousands on tints, alloys and all kinds of pointless mods just to get a bit of street cred but where i am, coppers are already hard enough on p platers. Im just doing my time in a an honest ride
more pics noooawww!

as you can see, i since mounted the spare tyre in the back - the spare wheel winch karked itself and in hindsight it wasnt a bad idea, keeping the rim out of rust etc at least this way i can monitor it alot easier. the bracket for the tray mount cost me 30 bucks off ebay, it was meant for a caravan but with a minor modification involving a lot of belting with a hammer, it fits most snuggly :)

just recently i clocked 150000km and as a present for harry, i did the typical oil,coolant replacement, i had a hole in the middle section of my exhaust right on the exhaust mount so i replaced that sucker. I also treated him to a clutch replacement. To save some dosh, i got my girlfriends old bloke to get me a decent clutch kit for cost price and we set to replacing that on his hoist at his house. Only issue was a rusty bolt on the transmission mount which after careful consideration, we just decided to grind the small section out.
pic of the clutch going in :
one last thing - although as previously mentioned I am all for keeping my car stock standard, a small mod i could not resist. I replaced my headlights which were sealed units with brand new units with h4 xenon globes- I like it because the soft white light looks on par with my grey bumper and chrome chrill, just recently i replaced the old bumper indicators with fresh clear ones with amber globes as the old ones were crusty and annoying me.
kimba

Postby Stevo2768 on Sat, 23 Jun 2012 9:48 +0000

For a 16 year old truck it looks factory fresh. Nice to see your gonna keep it that way. I hope it treats you just as well.

Cheers,
Stevo.
2012 Ranger XLT D/C 3.2 Auto
2007 Single cab D4D Auto
1990 80 Series Cruiser 1HZ

I'm not a complete idiot! Some parts are still missing.
Stevo2768

Postby kimba on Sat, 23 Jun 2012 9:52 +0000

Thanks man, i really take pride in my car and sometimes i dont think pictures do it justice

note: I just realised i posted this is the post 2005 thread, if a mod could please move this? sorry
kimba

Postby lew155 on Sun, 24 Jun 2012 8:56 +0000

get rid of the granny hubcaps and then maybe it will be the cleanest lol.... wear your steelies with pride, just hit them with a gerni n scrubbing brush.

other than that pretty nice ute, maybe some interior pics too
lew155

Postby KTM525EXC on Sun, 24 Jun 2012 11:36 +0000

thread moved as per request ;) very tidy mate 8-)
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby kimba on Sun, 24 Jun 2012 12:00 +0000

lew155 wrote:get rid of the granny hubcaps and then maybe it will be the cleanest lol.... wear your steelies with pride, just hit them with a gerni n scrubbing brush.

other than that pretty nice ute, maybe some interior pics too

thanks man, interior is stock standard with an upgraded head unit, ill get some soon enough.
I considered losing the hubcaps, but the previous owner wasnt as nice as me and they are in need of a rub back and coat of some rust proof paint.
one day ill get around to it, i lost a hubcap a few months ago and i had to pay 100 bucks to get a replacement - bloody rip off but i love them hahaha
kimba

Postby kimba on Sun, 24 Jun 2012 12:01 +0000

KTM525EXC wrote:thread moved as per request ;) very tidy mate 8-)

thanks man.

I think im just gonna be the jealous teenager on this forum how everyone has brand new or close to new sr5's with huge lifts and massive tyres.
but once i finish uni, ill smoke the bloody lot of yas! wel thats the plan - dont hold me to it
kimba

Postby KTM525EXC on Sun, 24 Jun 2012 12:23 +0000

:lol: :lol: dont worrie mate we all start somewhere, your off to a great start, first car being a lux, it dont get much better than that 8-)
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby helmut79 on Sun, 24 Jun 2012 4:20 +0000

Very clean looking truck mate
Mick
FCCW

“This is anger management......I’m channelling it into something and then I destroy it!”

My Build viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6869

New Member Sandpit viewforum.php?f=83
helmut79

Postby Skog07 on Sun, 24 Jun 2012 10:51 +0000

Looking great Kimba. Welcome to the forum mate.
What are you studying at uni?
Skog07

Postby kimba on Mon, 25 Jun 2012 9:20 +0000

Thanks skog,
I'm a second year studying mechanical engineering. Hoping to get a degree and shoot off up to the pilbara and work on the some minesites for some serious cash :D
kimba

Postby kimba on Mon, 25 Jun 2012 11:32 +0000

I had a real good look over the girl today, i had to tow a trailer full of rubbish to the tip and whilst it did it fine, i would love just that little bit more power.
I am heading out to the UK on wednesday for a month, when i get back hopefully mr tax man is nice to me and i have a gorgeous looking cheque in the mail.
I will hopefully slap a turbo on, to do this i will acquire parts over the next couple of months and then over a weekend with a carton i will sit back with a few mates and dig into it. Only issue would be welding in a oil return into the sump and then maybe an issue with the exhaust but I am considering just getting the exhaust done professionally. the lux only has 150 xxx on the clock and for a 96 thats not too bad at all imo, so the engine is still relatively young and a turbo shouldnt hurt the bottom end too much.

Ive read over and over various forums regarding turboing a 3L and they reckon you shouldnt have to touch the bottom end. Has anyone done this mod before? should i consider a rebuild?

A couple more maintenace things i have to get to, i need the replace the crank case seal as oil is starting to seep a little bit, whilst i do that i will replace the belt and might even look at the tensioners/pullys. finally i need to replace my front tyres (which i will probably do first) and then get an allignment as I have a lot of negative camber on the fronts and she pulls a bit to the left.

So, in summary, keep an eye on this thread in the coming months as i hope to give some kind of detailed updates as i go along.
Mitch
kimba

Return to Member Build Ups