The Hilux Hilton

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

The Hilux Hilton

Postby hiluxhilton on Sun, 20 May 2012 6:46 +0000

Hi
Just Joined after owning my Hilux dual cab for 7 years (2004/5 MODEL).
After using it as a general handy ute for a couple of years I bought a headboard from TripleM Aluminium tray Manufacturers. They said it wouldnt fit on the back of the tray but with the bolts on a slight angle I attached the headboard to the back and joined the front to the back with two alluminium channels to which I attached sail track to turn it into a camper with a slide on shade canopy from a piece of silver tarp with a bolt rope.Before that I constructed a roof using the same channel to make a frame strong enough to support my weight when I stood on it (110 kgs)capped off with a sheet of 3mm aluminium popped riveted and screwed to the frame.I then had canvas sides and back made from maroon ripstop canvas.Yes I'm a Queenslander and proud of it. The Hilux stayed that way for 6 and one half years until earlier this year after crawling in the back when we went camping and ending with cricked necks we got sick of it and the new hilux emerged. With a planned trip in June /July to Cape York there was no way we were going to survive 30 nights crawling in the back the way it was. So after deciding towing a camper trailer up there and the cost of buying one out of our budget I decided to use the existing material with the addition of a few strong aluminium sections we devised a lift up roof (gas strut assisted) with a flat canvas panel on the front (passengers side) with 2 triangular panels for the sides. this is held in place with sailtrack on three sides and the bottom with press studs and bungee cord along the bottom . The front has a door and midge proof screens with the triangular sections the same only a lot smaller. Canvas Maroon of course. The drivers side canvas is still the same with the addition of full midge screen which tucks under the bed to seal of the cabin space at that side of the truck (velcroed on the side walls). At the rear of the tray I have added a tray big enough to support a 9 kg gas bottle a two burner cast iron stove and on the drivers side I have installed a jerry can holder with a 20l jerry can. My maxtracks are held on by a specially made bracket with 3 lynchpins and a padlock keeping everything in place.
Inside I will have a 70 l water tank and 2 jerry cans in holders along the front wall of the trayback. I have made a kitchen with a stainless steel top.In my next post I will describe what I've done to the mechanics of the Hilux. Photos will follow soon.
Last edited by hiluxhilton on Sun, 20 May 2012 6:53 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
hiluxhilton

Re: The Hilux Hilton

Postby helmut79 on Sun, 20 May 2012 6:49 +0000

Sounds like agreat set up mate, make sure you put some pic's up in yuor shed
Mick
FCCW

“This is anger management......I’m channelling it into something and then I destroy it!”

My Build viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6869

New Member Sandpit viewforum.php?f=83
helmut79

Postby hiluxhilton on Sun, 20 May 2012 8:20 +0000

helmut79 wrote:Sounds like agreat set up mate, make sure you put some pic's up in yuor shed

[I hope their up Mick
Brian
Last edited by hiluxhilton on Sun, 20 May 2012 8:21 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
hiluxhilton

Postby hiluxhilton on Sun, 20 May 2012 8:20 +0000

helmut79 wrote:Sounds like agreat set up mate, make sure you put some pic's up in yuor shed

[Ihope there up Mick
Brian
hiluxhilton

Return to Member Build Ups