TDog's 03 3L T/D D/C!! Up for SALE! Upgraded.

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

TDog's 03 3L T/D D/C!! Up for SALE! Upgraded.

Postby TDog on Sun, 19 Feb 2012 8:09 +0000

Toyota 3.0L Turbo Diesel Hilux, 2003

Good Points
Great reliability.
Huge range of aftermarket options
Turbo so good power
This rig was in excellent nick so fantastic start point

Bad Points
Mmmm
Nothing as yet!

What mods have you done?
Had TJM steel bar on when I bought it and window tint
Added cosmetic only so far.
Tinted bonnet protector and weathershields
Wired up spotties
Full service and few minor gasket changes as well as rear shackle bushes
side steps
seat covers
phone and ipod holders, and wired chargers in to hide all cords

What mods are on the list to do?
UHF in the mail
31" steel rims and tyres in the shed
2" suspension lift
dual battery set up
winch
I have list as long as your arm! but these are the first ones for the short term

Why did you buy this vehicle?
In was in great condition for the price and I knew it would be awesome base to a make reliable, capable tourer/off roader.

How often do you go offroad?
once a month at least

What will your next vehicle be?
nothing planned as yet!

Day I picked her up!

How she looks now.

My new 'feet"!!!
Last edited by TDog on Sun, 08 Nov 2015 6:23 +0000, edited 9 times in total.
My Build Thread!

Beer O'Clock Hill!
LCMP Camp Road!
Janowen Hills Mud Run!

If you don't mind .......... I have a serious crush on my Hilux!
TDog
Platinum Subscriber

Re: TDog's 03 3L Turbo Diesel Dual Cab!!

Postby TDog on Sun, 19 Feb 2012 8:14 +0000

All right. So a marathon weekend installing my winch bracket and winch. Man am I sore now! Lucky the TJM bar is solid but not too heavy as I had no help and had to manhandle it on and off by myself. Lifting it back into place with the winch bolted on was a strain! Lucky I am a big unit! And one of those ladders in the 4 sections you can bend to different shapes came in real handy! Made a short bench type out of it and it fitted "nearly" perfectly to aid in support!
Found a lot of corrosion/rust around the drivers side bar mounting bolts and sure enough the damn things snapped off when it came time to remove. Of course, I then couldn't get the shaft out either and ended up having to knock the thread insert out from inside the chassis rail. This then involved drilling all the way through and running with longer bolts that fit all the way through! Lucky I managed to find some high tensile bolts the right length although getting the damn nuts on was a job and a half!
With limited room behind the bar and to protect the control box as much as possible, I wanted to mount it under the bonnet. Found a perfect spot just in front of the battery, which meant I could shorten the power supply cables which is even better. The standard motor supply leads were just the right length! Covered them all in the black plastic cable wrap to further protect the cables from damage. Was able to move the washer filler spout by spinning it around which gave me a perfect spot for the control box. Made up a strong bracket from some stainless steel hanger brackets I have been carrying around in the bottom of my toolbox for about 10 years and removed the battery before screwing it all in place. Best bit was the winch worked first time! Have not done any isolating as yet, however with the control box mounted where it is no mischievious fingers can get to it anyhow and with the next project an overhead console, I will be back under the bonnet soon to run a remote isolator on the control wire and make up a remote control switch set up so installing a main power isolator then will be easy.
Picked up the Lux on Saturday lunch time with the 2" suspension, Air lockers and snorkel done, however the wheel alignment was unable to be completed. Pulls to the right. Apparently the adjusting rods for the camber are seized and will require some "persuading" before they can be freed. Hopefully this just requires some gentle tapping, heating etc before removal, cleaning up and greasing before re-install however worst case scenario is they may have to be cut out which will mean all new adjusters! Oh well, has to be done I guess! The never ending jobs with a 4wd! Just don't tell the missus! She thinks after 3 days in the shop last week and all weekend working on it, it must be finished!
How the bar looked originally
Bent piece of bar. Hydraulic car jack and a few well aimed knocks with a hammer sorted that out!

Snapped off!
Bar GOOOOOOOOONE!

Perfect spot for the winch control box, just need to swing the washer fill point around!

Perfect fit!!

My new air lockers! Highly recommend On Track 4wd at Moss St, Underwood, Brisbane. Brad down there is an absolute wealth of knowledge and will go out of his way to chat with you! Showed all how the new gear worked and then I had him crawling around under the Lux as I picked his brain about other stuff! All out in the carpark, on a Saturday as they were about to close! The lockers have a vent system on them around the compressor, however Brad has found that over time you can get a little oily residue as the compressed air picks up fumes from the diff. His solution? Instal diff breathers and tee the exhaust into these! This way the compressor doesn't get covered in crap and any oil can collect on the inside of the air line and slowly make its way back to the diff! Bonus, I have front and rear diff breathers installed at no extra charge! Will get pictures of the under bonnet goodies tomorrow.

Beer O'Clock Hill!
LCMP Camp Road!
Janowen Hills Mud Run!

TDog
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GI Joe on Mon, 20 Feb 2012 6:36 +0000

Hey Tony, I feel your pain with your front bar all rusted up. The same thing happened to me. Love the new stuff though and those diff lockers are going to be a lot of fun. Bet your keen for a wheel now!! ;)
'If a little bit is good, a lot must be better'

My build up thread viewtopic.php?f=41&t=12432
GI Joe

Postby white_hilux on Mon, 20 Feb 2012 6:44 +0000

looking great tony. i bet you are very happy that it is all starting to come together. the position of the winch control box looks very neat and tidy. what winch did you end up getting? im guessing the tjm ox 9500 pound? i ended up moving mine on the weekend as it was originally fitted on top of the winch and was a real pain in the ass to connect the hand piece so it is now located on top of the bbar right between my spot lights. much more easier to get to :D
Ben
2006 SR Extra Cab
2" lift, 32" Bighorns, F & R Diff Locked, Rock sliders, TJM Bullbar and Winch

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there
white_hilux

Postby TDog on Mon, 20 Feb 2012 8:20 +0000

Hey guys! Keen for a wheel now? That is a massive understatement!!! I am otherwise booked up the next 2 weekends so am seriously considering a little afternoon or evening wheel somewhere local just to get a feel for her! Hope she is not too long in the shop this week! Spot on with the winch Ben!
Here are some photos of the compressor set up under the hood with the diff breather installed on the fire wall. Also the bar with winch mounted!

My Build Thread!

Beer O'Clock Hill!
LCMP Camp Road!
Janowen Hills Mud Run!

TDog
Platinum Subscriber

Postby TDog on Mon, 20 Feb 2012 8:35 +0000

Not overly happy with the switch mountings for the diff lockers however being an ex sparky I am a little fussy with stuff like that! Have decided that it doesn't matter for now, as when I build the overhead console in the coming months I will relocate the diff locker switches into it and then use the hole left to mount a new rocker switch for the spotties and then an isolator rocker switch for the winch and a spring loaded rocker for remote control of the winch. I have some nice shiny thin aluminium sheets in the shed which I can use to to cover the dash behind the switches and make it much neater! Did I mention I was fussy! :lol:
My Build Thread!

Beer O'Clock Hill!
LCMP Camp Road!
Janowen Hills Mud Run!

TDog
Platinum Subscriber

Postby white_hilux on Mon, 20 Feb 2012 8:36 +0000

TDog wrote:Hope she is not too long in the shop this week!

whats you getting done this week? where are you live mate?
Ben
2006 SR Extra Cab

white_hilux

Postby TDog on Mon, 20 Feb 2012 8:46 +0000

Mate, couldn't get the wheel alignment done as the adjusters were all seized up, so they are going to have a crack at heating and tapping out however if that doesn't work they will have to cut it out and replace! Either way could be a few days! I live in Marsden, south side.
My Build Thread!

Beer O'Clock Hill!
LCMP Camp Road!
Janowen Hills Mud Run!

TDog
Platinum Subscriber

Postby white_hilux on Mon, 20 Feb 2012 8:56 +0000

ah yes i had some trouble with that as well. I just sprayed it with some wd40 every afternoon for a three days and it freed them up enough to move :D
Ben
2006 SR Extra Cab

white_hilux

Postby TDog on Tue, 21 Feb 2012 8:22 +0000

Well good news and bad news then some good news!!
Good news is the adjusters freed up ok and were removed, cleaned up and anti-siezed before reinstalling and getting the wheel alignment done. No extra costs there with no parts required!
Bad news, under braking pulls badly. Found the 4 piston drivers side front brake calipers, 2 pistons completely siezed and the other 2 sticky and the passenger side not much better. So now has to have new front brake calipers, pads and machine the discs. Damn. Can't muck about with the brakes though.

Good news though to end, she will be ready early this afternoon to pick up!
My Build Thread!

Beer O'Clock Hill!
LCMP Camp Road!
Janowen Hills Mud Run!

TDog
Platinum Subscriber

Postby TDog on Thu, 26 Apr 2012 12:32 +0000

Well, I haven't updated on here for a while so thought I better! Ben working on a few projects in the background which have not yet hit the truck, however the biggest is my overhead console. I like the current spot for the UHF so had no need for the UHF to be overhead but wanted some extra storage space for all those annoying bits and pieces around the cab as well as missing my sunglass holder from my old commodore! Decided the best thing to do was build my own. Being a sparky, I decided it might be cool if I had some custom rocker switches mounted overhead so the console got more involved. Almost at the stage where I can cover it in carpet and mount it up.

Been doing some wheelin' too with a few of the guys from this site. Spent a weekend wheelin' around The Springs 4x4 park at Warwick which was totally awesome and even knocked off Beer O'Clock hill for those who know it. Also spent an arvo playin' around the powerlines tracks at the end of Camp Cable rd. Will get some pics downloaded of the console build in progress up soon.
My Build Thread!

Beer O'Clock Hill!
LCMP Camp Road!
Janowen Hills Mud Run!

TDog
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Chrinks on Thu, 26 Apr 2012 3:23 +0000

console should be good to see tony
enjoy!!!
Chrinks

Postby Matt02hilux on Wed, 20 Jun 2012 4:26 +0000

any updates mate?
how did you go with the console?
Matt02hilux

Postby TDog on Wed, 20 Jun 2012 4:31 +0000

Console is ongoing mate. I have made it and mounted without carpet etc to check fit and clearance.

Looked great and I was very happy until I started to drive with it in place. I am tall (6'3") and find I hit my head on it all the time. Pain in the head! :lol:

I am currently stuck between removing the part with the storage and just running the overhead switch bank or taking it down and modifying it to be about 20mm smaller so it doesn't hang down as far. Still to decide. I am on a month's holidays so after I get back from a camping trip to Rocky next week I will decide and get stuck in.
My Build Thread!

Beer O'Clock Hill!
LCMP Camp Road!
Janowen Hills Mud Run!

TDog
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Matt02hilux on Wed, 20 Jun 2012 6:40 +0000

Sounds good mate. Should post up some pics when you make a decision on the direction. I must admit, i have only hit my head a couple of times when jumping through the car with sunnies on my head haha. The out back system is about 35mil or so?
Good luck mate
Matt02hilux

Postby rwnslux on Thu, 21 Jun 2012 5:18 +0000

keen to see this console!!!
rwnslux

Postby TDog on Fri, 22 Jun 2012 7:23 +0000

Matt02hilux wrote:Sounds good mate. Should post up some pics when you make a decision on the direction. I must admit, i have only hit my head a couple of times when jumping through the car with sunnies on my head haha. The out back system is about 35mil or so?
Good luck mate

35mm! Crikey. Admitedly, I didn't even think I would hit my head on it so I made it deep enough not to obstruct my view in the rear mirror. It's about 100mm by memory! Looks like I might be doing some more cutting when I get back from Rocky next week.
My Build Thread!

Beer O'Clock Hill!
LCMP Camp Road!
Janowen Hills Mud Run!

TDog
Platinum Subscriber

Postby TDog on Fri, 10 Aug 2012 3:30 +0000

Alrighty!

Bought myself (or Penny as she has been christened!) some new bits. My family bought me a bobble head of Penny from Big Bang Theory (this is who I named her after!) and so she has been tied in pride of plce dead centre of the bullbar! I didn't think I'd like it but it is kinda cool!

I was sick of the dull headlights and crappy old spotties which would vibrate around and when you went to use them, they were lighting up the tree tops or something stupid! Got myself some new Headlights and bulbs. This made a huge difference straight away not only to the light output but also the look of the front. Then came a 22" LED lightbar and 2 new 150W Fyrlyt Spotties. Also rewired all the looms with nice heavy gauge wire and also ran some multi core cable up to the overhead switch bank. Mounted a 4 bank fuse holder under the bonnet for the accesories and wired up, also mounted new relays all side by side. The new Spots and Lightbar run heavy wire back to the relays and the negatives now also run back direct to the negative terminal on the battery. Moved the Air Locker switches to the overhead bank first and then the Spots, Lightbar and some new reverse work lights. The old switch bank in the dash will have the winch isolator and in cab controls plus a few extras like a water pump for the future tank.

The old spotties with the new headlights

PENNY!!!

New Fyrlyts. Check these out guys. Made here in Aus and are a very nice spot. Some very cool features and very solid mounting.

Mounted

LED Lightbar. 40 by 3W LED's in mix of spread and spot.

Overhead switch bank. I am still to get it covered and am also working on an overhead console which extends from here with sunglass holder and map lights. Just waiting on a mate to weld me up a bracket!

Old switch bank with new switches. None of these are yet connected, but will be!

I got some nice T shaped alloy bar from work for free and cut a piece to mount the Lightbar. Drilled and tapped into the back of the bar and then the Lightbar bolts down through it. Looks all hidden from the front. I did buy 2 wrap around aerial brackets, thinking I could mount a piece of flat steel between them and then the Lightbar through it. Decided against it so if anyone is chasing a 76mm (3inch) stainless wrap around aerial bracket, let me know! Cost me $39 each off Ebay, so make me an offer! You can see one on the bar in one of the pictures when I was test fitting how I was going to mount it.

Going to head out later tonight and see the difference as well as adjust the angles if required to get the best coverage. Will try to take some pics of that test.
My Build Thread!

Beer O'Clock Hill!
LCMP Camp Road!
Janowen Hills Mud Run!

TDog
Platinum Subscriber

Re: TDog's 03 3L Turbo Diesel Dual Cab!! New Lights!

Postby Bullzye on Fri, 10 Aug 2012 5:26 +0000

Looks pretty good, when are you going to make them switch banks for sale :lol: should look good when carpetted.
The funniest part about you reading my signature is that by the time you read the whole thing from start to finish you only then realise there is nothing interesting in it.
Bullzye

Re: TDog's 03 3L Turbo Diesel Dual Cab!! New Lights!

Postby Matt02hilux on Fri, 10 Aug 2012 7:08 +0000

That looks awsome mate
Real neat job with it all! Good work!
What have you done regarding the headlights? Brand, globe type etc? Im looking at doing the same so some info would be great
Cheers
Matt02hilux

Next

Return to Member Build Ups