New Hilux Tiger D4D owner Southern Thailand

New Hilux Tiger D4D owner Southern Thailand

Postby markinthailand on Tue, 24 Aug 2010 9:17 +0000

Hi I just wanted to jump in here and say hello to you all from Thailand. I'm an old hand expat in this country, but a rank newbie to the world of 4-wheel drive trucks and off-roading. I am really excited to be buying my 1st 4X4 and my 1st vehicle of any kind in 8 years! I've been living here on scooters and motorcycles all this time. I did some quick research before buying this great little 2nd hand Tiger, and I think it may possibly become a 'classic' model in another 10 years. I do know first hand that I really liked riding in our northern California hill country in my buddy's 1985 4x4 SR5 when it was new.
I am hoping that some of you experienced Hilux owners will be willing to help me learn everything I can about the strongest and weakest points of this totally stock, low mileage truck. Here are its stats: 2004 Toyota Hilux Tiger D4D 4WD 2dr Ext. Cab pickup - G Limited - 4sp Auto (ECT) with LSD - 3.0L Common Rail Turbo Diesel EFI- engine model": 1KD-FTV - truck model Code: KDN166R-CRPSYTA00 - Power: 123 HP & Torque 315 NM@ 1800RPM - It came with full options including: ABS.driver's air bag, electric everything, blah, blah, plus really handy molded cup holders both fore and aft ! It has only 86,200 KM (verified) on the clock now. It's been garaged; only regular dealer serviced; driven daily (60mph max) on Koh Samui Island, and taken for much longer normal highway runs up to Bangkok or farther at least once or twice a year. It's been used in 4WD maybe a handful of times on wet roads, and only once in the mud in six years. I can't wait to get her good and dirty, myself.It was built here, as well.
My questions will be many, but for now I would very much appreciate learning what you all think of this year/model D4D Tiger ?
What should be my concerns, if any, about its history of gentle daily use? I won't have much cash now for any major modifications. Besides, I've always been a fan of stock pickups and cars due to chronic nostalgia. All my trucks have been classic, stock Fords in the States.
I will be paying $12,500 USD for it, and it cost the original owner maybe $21,000 USD six years ago - which is now $23,050 USD at today's exchange rates. Thank you so much for letting me join up - I can't wait to search this forum for pics and info. Mark
markinthailand

Re: New Hilux Tiger D4D owner Southern Thailand

Postby KTM525EXC on Tue, 24 Aug 2010 11:20 +0000

hey Mark

congrats on your purchase m8 and welcome to new hilux,
this is also my first 4x4 and love it :D

cheers Troy
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby jamiecracker on Tue, 31 Aug 2010 4:11 +0000

welcome aboard mate
jamiecracker

Postby jogal on Tue, 31 Aug 2010 5:48 +0000

Welcome mate,

Awesome part of the world you are at! been there with my wife and loved it and the surrounding islands.
Post some pic's of your truck as we in Australia never got your model but i'm sure many people would be able to advise you . :D
jogal

Return to Introductions