New to Hilux, new to forum,

New to Hilux, new to forum,

Postby FERG'S HILUX on Wed, 13 May 2009 7:07 +0000

Hello all,

I own a 2008 SR5 4lt V6 manual, still as standard as the day i picked it up. But in reading about some of your rigs I really don't know where to start, not to mention if I would be allowed.
Anyway if anybody has some basic tips to make these vehicles even better please let me know. Is driven by the wife as a daily driver. And at this stage don't get to much of a chance to get off road to often. But not to keen on serious off road work just a little bit of fun here and there with adventure.
Willing to hear from anyone around the Central Qld region or if anyone passing though with places to go and explore.

Good work on the site
FERG'S HILUX

Re: New to Hilux, new to forum,

Postby Alby on Wed, 13 May 2009 7:22 +0000

Welcome to the forum Ferg, lots of good guys with good ideas here just depends on what you are looking for.

I started off like you just tinkering on the edges with the 4wding The bloody thing has consumed me now :lol:
and loving every minute of it.

A good start would be a bit of a lift for clearance and a set of decent all terrain tyres and a radio for contact when out and about. depending on how much you wnt to do but tht may be all you need

Good luck
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby Skog07 on Wed, 13 May 2009 7:29 +0000

Welcome Ferg.
Mate the best bang for your buck is to invest in a good set of All terrain tyres. This will allow you to confidently go for a bit of an explore without the worries of punctures and tears in the stockies. Will also increase the grip somewhat as well offroad compared to the stockies. There are some good tyres around these days. Anyway Ferg welcome to newhilux im surethere are plenty of members on here that will help you and give you advice on how to spend your cash.
Cheers
Skog
Skog07

Postby rodw on Wed, 13 May 2009 7:31 +0000

Welcome mate, If you are out and about around Emerald, a Bull bar first and maybe some spotlights. You can't go past ARB or maybe the cheaper Ironman Commercial bar. In roo country I would not go the Ironman Deluxe bar like mine as the hoops are bolted on, not welded.

Probably tyres are next but if you don't have a lift kit before that, you are probably restricted to 31x10.5's Out your way without many hills and not that much rain, maybe an AT tread pattern. I started with the Dick Cepek DC-II's which I was very happy with. With a lift, you could go to 32's and that's What I did recently after a 2" lift, new 16" rims and 265/75 R16's. If I ever go bigger it will be to 255/85 R16's which are 33.5's which might need a littel guard bashing etc to squeeze in.

Probably I'd also go with the TJM underbody guards to protect the sump and transmission. Not very expensive. After that, you decide what else you need. I would not bother with lockers for quite a while, if ever.. If you are going to get stuck out there it will be on black soil after rain. Personally 'd be getting the protection sorted out, maybe some side rails or Brooksy's sliders early in the piece.

Thta is enough to get yo going, your head will be spinning for a while working out your plan.
rodw

Postby dute on Thu, 14 May 2009 5:49 +0000

Welcome to the forum . . . . :D
FCCW

inside Dute's black hole

"Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill"
dute

Postby Marshwa on Mon, 18 May 2009 7:21 +0000

I back up rod's suggestion, in emerald all ur local tracks are gonna be mostly rock based, which will chew ur tires out in time, and with a shit load of roo's around you wanna protect your car as much as possible before anything, i don't no how well the stock bull bars go, i've pushed a bit of shit around but i wouldn't wanna rely on it to stop anything over 30kgs at 100kms :lol: :lol: .

However once u fit the bar and some bash plates, it'll probably start to eat at you that your front end seems to be real low, so therefore the lift will defently be on your mind :lol: . Have a Search around and see what best suits you, there's plenty of awesome all rounders on here. It doesn't sound like you want to be pushing the limits of legalities and the cars capabilities, and a 2 inch suspension lift with some nice 32" AT's will get you whereever you wanna go. If thats the case you'll most likly find everything you wanna do will be very straight forward, and theres endless amounts of advice around here for you, don't be afraid to ask.

Welcome to the site, Max (Marshwa)
Marshwa

Postby FERG'S HILUX on Tue, 19 May 2009 6:24 +0000

Thanks guys for your welcome. Have taken some of your advice on board.

Like you say all this gets your head spinning :?: :?:

Starting to find a simple thing like tyres on standard SR5 rims is confusing. As their doesn't appear alot around with the right load and speed rating, seems i am not the first to find that out looking at the number of post on here about tires. Did get a good quote of some 31.5x10.5 bfg from local guy with bonus air compressor as well but techinically he advised they are not legal on the SR5 because of the load rating.
Finished fitting a TX3420 UHF radio on the weekend, must have been doing it right because had already made a bracket like Rodw when i looked at your build.
Not sure about getting a lift done yet, But may think about the sliders actually being talked about at the moment in another thread.
Am thinking about getting a rear tub coated in spray on protection from Speed Liner, any thoughts on that product.

Ferg
FERG'S HILUX

Postby rodw on Tue, 19 May 2009 6:44 +0000

FERG'S HILUX wrote:Thanks guys for your welcome. Have taken some of your advice on board.

Like you say all this gets your head spinning :?: :?:

Starting to find a simple thing like tyres on standard SR5 rims is confusing. As their doesn't appear alot around with the right load and speed rating, seems i am not the first to find that out looking at the number of post on here about tires. Did get a good quote of some 31.5x10.5 bfg from local guy with bonus air compressor as well but techinically he advised they are not legal on the SR5 because of the load rating.
Ferg

Ferg, what the local guy has told you is not correct. Read the bible from QT.
http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/resourc ... icles2.pdf

which says:
The speed rating of all tyres must be:
• a speed of at least:
for an off-road passenger vehicle – 140km/h
for another car (sedan, station wagon etc.)
up to nine adult seating positions or a car
derivative – 180km/h
for another motor vehicle – 120km/h
• the vehicle’s top speed, if lower.
Load ratings of tyres must be at least equal to those specified by the manufacturer on the tyre placard fitted to vehicles made after 1972. For other vehicles, the load rating of a tyre must be capable of carrying the part of the vehicle’s gross mass carried by the tyre.

From memory, the maxmum axle rating is about 1300 kg and you are driving an off road pasenger vehicle. Therefore, you need a tyre that can carry 750 kg (1/2 the maximum axle weight) and rated for 140 km/hr. Therefore the 31's fit the bill. But read your placcard carefully and you will find you can increase the front axle load if you use a tyre wirth an S speed rating. It does not say you must use an S rated tyre!

So if you aren't doing a lift, these are your best option and you get a free compressor. Go for it mate.

Sorry I can't help with tub liners. I have not done that becasue I want to fit drawers and did not want anything in the way.
rodw

Return to Introductions