Separating the V6 4L from the 5 Speed Auto

Separating the V6 4L from the 5 Speed Auto

Postby ackky on Sun, 31 Mar 2019 11:24 +0000

Hi,
I need to remove/separate the V6 4L motor from the 5 Speed Auto, is there anything I need to consider prior to the actual seperation and then reassembly later. I have heard there can be issues with the gearbox pump if this is done incorrectly.

I am ready to crack the engine mounts and the gearbox housing as the motor needs to come out for maintenance.

Too hard to get under the car to undo the sump nut...figure I could just lift the engine out and give it a shake to make sure all the old oil is out....

Thanks in advance.
Ackky.
ackky

Re: Separating the V6 4L from the 5 Speed Auto

Postby DeadlyBeast on Tue, 02 Apr 2019 5:07 +0000

G'Day Ackky and welcome to the forum

Pulling the engine is no mean feat but a sure way to shake out old oil :lol:
Perhaps another member who has pulled out a V6 can give tips regarding gear box

This forum contains an almost endless array of knowledge about the Toyota Hilux and over the years a lot of topics, questions and issues have been addressed.

In order to get the most out of the forum and in an attempt to try and keep the information in an organised (well semi :lol: ) manner, please utilise the SEARCH HERE! box at the top left of the page and ask your questions or contribute to existing threads as much as possible.

Here are some useful links to help you get the most out of this forum.

Search
Advanced Search
Search Members Shed's
How to post pictures
Sandpit - An area for new members to experiment with posting pictures

If 3rd party image hosting is a bit difficult, starting a shed is an easier option with direct image uploading.
Just click on the "Edit Your Shed" button at the top of the page

Budget mods $50 or less - quick cheap awesome mods to get you started
Forum Directory (BIBLE WIP) - quick links to popular stuff
Oh and the Forum Guidelines, Forum Guidelines

Good luck wi the engine drop
DeadlyBeast

Postby hiluxxury on Tue, 02 Apr 2019 10:25 +0000

I've not worked on the A750 transmission but I have worked on ZF transmissions. Generally, you need to keep the converter in place. Have a look on the Tacoma, FJ and Prado forums if no specific answers are found here.

But as DeadlyBeast suggested, your approach is not an easy one. Perhaps try a little harder to get at the sump nut.
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby ackky on Thu, 04 Apr 2019 7:52 +0000

Hi
Thanks for the advice. Sound like the best thing is to leave the motor and gearbox together until out of the vehicle.

Just about ready to pull the motor out, just trying to work out how to get the mounting bolt/nuts to crack as they are awkward to get to and really tight.

I have been working on the motor for months, to be quite honest the separation of the motor from the car is easier than it looks as the motor assembly just slips out between the headlights. The wiring harness stays attached, and therefore the motor can be pulled out, worked on and can stay assembled as needed.

Jokes aside, it would be great not to have to pull out the motor, however when a mechanic screws up the motor to make a quick buck, there is going to be consequences down the track. If I could provide the proof I would name and shame, but unfortunately by the time I discovered what he had not down it was a year or so down the track.

Having been given some advice on the gearbox, I wanted to confirm that and appreciate your information hiluxxury. As mentioned the V6 and 5Speed Auto are not common items to be worked on, and mine should be still ticking over. There are lessons to be learned and hard work ahead, but I will get there.

These jobs are simply meant to be done slowly and correctly and usually hard on the wallet. Especially being forced to outfit a workshop just to do this one job.

I have spent some months searching for advice, hence why I jumped on this site, I had not considered that the problem might be similar with other gearboxes. I have mostly worked on earlier cars and mostly manuals. This is my first late model with auto.

Thanks for the help.
Ackky.
ackky

Return to Introductions