2012 Hilux

2012 Hilux

Postby NomadNoosa on Mon, 11 Jun 2018 4:53 +0000

Hey all,

So this year my business partner and I got some new cars. We decided to keep his 2012 SR5 Dual Cab as it had alot of dents and scrapes from being used and a bit abused over the last 5 years. The trade price just wasn't worth the effort of selling it.

I have kind of adopted it and with stuff I had lying around from building trailers and past 4wds I decided to start to do some work on it and turn it into a bit of a beach / bush car.

So far I have installed a dual battery system, using a $15 tray from supercheap and a nail plate from bunnnings.
Installed anderson plugs at the rear and in the tub to run a fridge etc.

I had just built an offroad trailer and had bought a set of 150 Prado rims for $500 with ok Coopers AT's. They had better rubber than the hilux rims so I swapped them onto the lux. I like now that the 5th spare is an alloy not a crap steel wheel.

Repainted all the chasis rails, springs, bash plates and stuff under neath to give it a bit of a tidy up

I've just ordered a bunch of bits and pieces off ebay Dual USB's and stuff like that to update it a bit inside, also repainted all the silver bits around the window switches etc.

New, cheap ebay, canvas seat covers etc.

I really like working on it as there just so easy and given what it is I can't go too far wrong, hopefully

Things I would like to get done, but as I am not committing to much coin to the project is a mild lift, maybe 2inch at the front and a bit at the back, a decent set of rubber. A bullbar and a canopy would be great, but it would be pure luck if either of those came up at the right (cheap) price.

Anyway looking forward to reading a heap of build ups and pinching ideas off you guys.

Thanks
NomadNoosa

Re: 2012 Hilux

Postby Tyler1993 on Mon, 11 Jun 2018 5:05 +0000

You came to the right place! Got so many ideas off here for mine and plenty of people to answer your questions!
Throw up some pictures when you have some spare time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tyler1993

Postby HK1837 on Mon, 11 Jun 2018 6:24 +0000

What colour? Sometimes canopies come up cheap in the less common colours or if a window is broken, example:
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/canberr ... 1186565373

Just the luck of the draw if they are close to you or not!
HK1837

Postby NomadNoosa on Tue, 12 Jun 2018 5:29 +0000

Thanks Gents
Yeah I have had a few hunts of gumtree and eBay etc. no joy yet but something will come up.

Will try and get a few photos up when Tapatalk stops playing up or maybe I need a minimum number of posts before I can do photos
NomadNoosa

Postby DeadlyBeast on Wed, 13 Jun 2018 6:41 +0000

G'Day Nomad and welcome to the forum

This forum contains an almost endless array of knowledge about the Toyota Hilux and over the years a lot of topics, questions and issues have been addressed.

In order to get the most out of the forum and in an attempt to try and keep the information in an organised (well semi :lol: ) manner, please utilise the SEARCH HERE! box at the top left of the page and ask your questions or contribute to existing threads as much as possible.

Here are some useful links to help you get the most out of this forum.

Search
Advanced Search
Search Members Shed's
How to post pictures
Sandpit - An area for new members to experiment with posting pictures
Budget mods $50 or less - quick cheap awesome mods to get you started
Forum Directory (BIBLE WIP) - quick links to popular stuff
Oh and the Forum Guidelines, Forum Guidelines

Post some photos of your SR5 when you get the chance
DeadlyBeast

Postby NomadNoosa on Wed, 13 Jun 2018 5:58 +0000

Thanks Deadly

Ok got Tapatalk sorted

So the car looks ok, this is very favourable sunlight that doesnt show the dints and scratches, also its good side lol.

I had to move this computer off the fire wall to fit the battery trray I had properly.

After baulking at spending a stupid amount of money on an ARB or equivalent battery tray I decided just to make do with what I had around. So with the $15 tray from supercrap, left over from a trailer build I bolts and loctited a 3mm nail plate to it to hold the computer and the circuit breaker that runs to the rear.

A bit of rubber door mat to give that battery a bit of cushioning also.

$50 isolater installed.

Batteries and resettable circuit breakers installed, the one off the aux battery is in the back corner near the firewall.

Bit of $4 silver paint over the heavily scuffed door handles and gear stick etc. They cleaned up really well considering what they looked like originally.

Anyway its a start. It'll be a slow build up just doing bits and pieces.

I am trying to think of a good way to have an easily removable fridge slide in the tray. I bought an old Waeco 40litre of some guy for $80. SO would like a decent way to secure it under the tonneau without having to tie it down all the time.
NomadNoosa

Postby NomadNoosa on Wed, 13 Jun 2018 6:11 +0000

Not sure what happened with that first photo

NomadNoosa

Return to Introductions