Free Hilux and free problems

Free Hilux and free problems

Postby FreeLux on Sun, 11 Jun 2017 8:04 +0000

Hey guys (and gals if any). My brother recently got a job in HK so he moved. Decided to give me his 2005 SR5 dual cab that he owned since new. Nice bro, ey?
Anyway the car is far from perfect but I know I can slowly get it there. He lived in the NT for 5years where the Hilux raked up most of its 216000km. It has some kangaroo inflicted battle scars but luckily I am a PDR tech so will slowly iron out those. I already replaced the front bar with a genuine alloy bullbar (I wont even pretend to be an off roader and go for some big steel bar/winch setup). It just looks way better than the almost destroyed original bar and provides a bit more protection from wildlife. The rest I will sort out slowly.
The biggest issue I have with the car is mechanical in form of a slightly smokey, down on power engine. I am pretty sure its related to carbon build up but I will probably ask more about that in another thread.
I thought about selling the car because all my cars over the years have been high performance Jap cars. Turbo Skylines and Subaru STI is still my current car. The Hilux is total opposite in every way to these cars but something about it has me hooked. Its road presence is undeniable. As soon as I turn on the indicator to merge everyone just makes room for me. I my other cars I get nothing of the sort. Plus I can't see myself getting too many speeding fines in this behemoth.
Anyway that is the story of how I got to be a Hilux owner and hope to hear from some of you more knowledgeable guys when I start asking questions about a few issues I have with the car. Name is Darko by the way. Cheers.
FreeLux

Re: Free Hilux and free problems

Postby DeadlyBeast on Sun, 11 Jun 2017 10:22 +0000

G'Day Darko and welcome to the forum ;)

Great intro mate

First - if you havnt already, try the easy stuff: Have a read of this thread MAF sensor and MAP filter clean
Can get very good return in power just from 15 minutes spent doing MAF and MAP filter clean

Have a search using the Search the forum ... Search Here! box regarding cleaning the EGR - long dirty job

You will also want to get the injector feedback values Techstream how to
Injectors, timing belt and water pump should have been replaced by now

This forum contains an almost endless array of knowledge about the Toyota Hilux and over the years a lot of topics, questions and issues have been addressed. In order to get the most out of the forum and in an attempt to try and keep the information in an organised (well semi :lol: ) manner, please utilise the search function at the top of the page and ask your questions or contribute to existing threads as much as possible.

Here are some useful links to help you get the most out of this forum.

Search
Advanced Search
Search Members Shed's (Start your own shed 8-) Its easy, provides a quick reference of your rig and modifications + no need to use third party photo sharing)
How to post pictures
Sandpit - An area for new members to experiment with posting pictures
Budget mods $50 or less - quick cheap awesome mods to get you started
Forum Directory (BIBLE WIP) - quick links to popular stuff
Oh and the Forum Guidelines, Forum Guidelines

Happy posting :D
DeadlyBeast

Postby FreeLux on Thu, 27 Sep 2018 9:05 +0000

Hey guys. Been a long time since I posted. I eventually ended up changing my injectors on my 05 hilux and it made a difference. Its quiter, seems to have slightly better economy (it was always pretty good though at 8.9L/100km but now its at about 8.7-8.8) and in general it feels smoother to drive. Happy about that but mostly happy about the massive power increase down low. Damn, up to 2500rpm it would pull a train behind it but after 2500rpm it seems to fall on its face. I mean it still revs out but you can tell all that rich bottom end torque is gone past that point. Also installed a boost gauge and EGT gauge. I am peaking at 12psi but quickly drops and levels out at about 11psi. I am lead to believe that it should be somewhere around 16psi but my car is the very first of the 1KDFTV engines which were rated at lower power. Are they set at same 16psi or less? Or is my turbo possibly on the way out? Not really sure. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also what EGT temps should I be seeing? Just cruising about I am hovering between 200-300deg but if I am going up a steep incline for a while I might see 400. Thats on a relatively cool day. Is that normal? Thanks for any help/advice.
Oh and I also fitted a 7mm EGT restriction plate. Not sure how much that did but seems like it has picked up a bit more response down low but I am already happy how the car drives down low. Want just a bit more power up higher for overtaking at highway speeds. Also I seemed to have noticed slightly louder whistling sound from my turbo since fitting the EGT plate. Is that normal.
FreeLux

Postby Hutchyman80 on Fri, 28 Sep 2018 5:02 +0000

Might need an intake manifold clean. That's probably were I would start.
The more fuel I use, the more fun I have!
Hutchyman80

Postby Gipsy on Fri, 28 Sep 2018 6:31 +0000

Hey freelux (Darko) all sounds good with the egt temps but expect to see 500+ if you challenge it uphill :o

Don't expect to drive like a wrx! :?

Like the doctor says... First do no harm!

If you want some extra punch at higher revs put a 3" exhaust on (around $600) and your top end will go better but at the expense of some low end torque under 2000rpm. Sounds great too! The exhaust will also get the heat out better when you put it under some pressure up hills etc. Fuel consumption sounds ok and will improve with the exhaust also.
The boost pressure may also increase somewhat with the big exhaust because it is more free-flowing. you may be correct that the earlier model's boost was lower. That can also be improved but that will take a bit more spending ;) The extra whistle is probably the restrictor plate increasing the exhaust manifold pressure/volume/speed over the turbo slightly which is all good for what you are looking for. Some guys here with earlier models have full blanking plates with no problemo??? so do a search for blanking plates 2005 model. If that works for you it will even improve some more with the added benefit of no soot in the intake manifold. I agree it may be worth cleaning your intake manifold as Hutchyman wrote, can't do any harm ;)

All-in-all not bad for a freebie.... wish my rellies were a bit more generous :lol:

A freebie isn't always worth much but it seems you have a keeper! :D

Cheers
Last edited by Gipsy on Fri, 28 Sep 2018 8:51 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby FreeLux on Fri, 28 Sep 2018 8:49 +0000

Thanks guys and sorry, I should have mentioned but the car has a 3 inch exhaust with only a cat and straight out pipe after that. Also the inlet manifold has be totally removed, soaked, blasted and scrubbed till it was cleaner than the outside. Couldn't believe the crud in there. The secondary ports were stuck in an open position because of all the soot. I also spray a can of LiquiMolly diesel engine decarb cleaner at ever oil change which is about 5-6K kms. There really isn't much left that can be wrong with this car. Only thing I read on the forum last night was cleaning the MAP sensor filter. That I havent done and would not be surprised if the filter is blocked given the condition the inlet manifold was in originally. That I missed and will do today. Thanks on the advice about the blanking plate. Had no idea that earlier models could be blanked off altogether. I will definitely try that as its only 6 bucks and 5min to do.
Been thinking that it could also just be me. I don't know. This is my first diesel and I am sort of used to performance turbo cars like my STI where the boost hits and you can feel it pull to the redline. I don't know. Maybe I am expecting too much from the old girl but she does seem to be in a good shape. My brother owned it from day one and I know the cars history. Even though it has 230,000kms servicing was never skipped on. Anyway I will try those two things I mentioned and report back on how I go.
Also can anyone recommend a decent clutch setup? The clutch still works and doesn't slip but has this annoying shudder when cold. It feels fine after a few take offs but also feels like its lost its cushioning. Feels like a button clutch in terms how it engages abruptly. I know its a factory unit still in there so I know it can't have much life left in it. Also the rear main is showing signs of leaking. Want to sort that out soon too.
FreeLux

Postby Gipsy on Fri, 28 Sep 2018 8:56 +0000

Darko, seems like you have done all you can to get those most out of your lux :D
The full blank may throw codes tho. If you fit a catch can and fuel prefilter you have just about killed all the best mods ;)

It will never be an STI but you seem to have a great lux.

Ahh yes, fit a reasonable muffler cos the engine needs just a little back pressure.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Gipsy on Fri, 28 Sep 2018 9:03 +0000

There are some clutch upgrades here if you search ;) I don't need one cos mine is auto :D

Don't over rev it because diesels don't need it and at the other side don't let it grunt at low revs... The sweet spot is 2500 to 3500rpm
Gipsy

Return to Introductions