Hi from South Coast

Hi from South Coast

Postby SilverSP on Thu, 20 Mar 2014 6:33 +0000

Hi all.

Just thought I'll join up as I'm looking at buying a Hilux (2010 onwards)
I would like to get a SR5 but missus is putting handbrake on it as they are not cheap although resale is great. Her sister drives a 2003 SR5 which she brought nearly new and it's around 210,000km now and not a thing as gone wrong apart from the electric antenna grinding its gears when going up or down. That's been like that for years!
I'll be using the lux a lot of towing, around a ton in weight so I guess a diesel would be the best bet.
Been looking at other utes as well, not keen or Navara due to clutch issues, dont like Triton, Holden look good but how long would it last, Falcon ok but same issues. Mazda expensive to service (I have a Mazda 3 now) etc.

Anyhow I could go on but thanks for welcoming me and I'll let you know what I do end up buying.

Cheers
SilverSP

Re: Hi from South Coast

Postby kyle300exc on Thu, 20 Mar 2014 6:36 +0000

Welcome to the forum, nice part of the world you come from what area in particular?
Kyle

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
kyle300exc

Postby SilverSP on Thu, 20 Mar 2014 7:31 +0000

kyle300exc wrote:Welcome to the forum, nice part of the world you come from what area in particular?

Helensburgh.

Ok classed as South Coast but to me South Coast is South of Wollongong.

Just been looking at Carsales as well, what sort of mileage do Luxes give trouble? (ok depends on service history and lifestyle)

Cheers
SilverSP

Postby kyle300exc on Thu, 20 Mar 2014 10:34 +0000

Exactly there's a number of topics on buying a used Hilux which give some good advise. Good luck with your purchase.
Kyle

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
kyle300exc

Postby Rocket55 on Thu, 20 Mar 2014 2:58 +0000

Image Welcome to the forum Silver :D plenty of good info on here to help you pick the right ute. If the servicing has been keep up they can go big Kim's without drama, I recently sold mine at over 300,000km and it was as good as new. Good luck with your purchase. Oh and Helensburgh is not the South Coast :D

This forum contains an almost endless array of knowledge about the Toyota Hilux and over the years a lot of topics, questions and issues have been addressed. In order to get the most out of the forum and in an attempt to try and keep the information in an organised (well semi :lol: ) manner, please utilise the search function at the top of the page and ask your questions or contribute to existing threads as much as possible.

Here are some useful links to help you get the most out of this forum.

Search
Advanced Search
Search Members Shed's
Sandpit - An area for new members to experiment with posting pictures
How to post pictures
Forum Directory (BIBLE WIP) - quick links to popular stuff
Oh and the Forum Guidelines, just in case you skipped them like I did ;) when signing up - Forum Guidelines

Welcome, and happy posting :D
Cheers Rod
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Bitumen ...... another waste of public funds
Rocket55

Postby kitdoctor on Sat, 22 Mar 2014 10:29 +0000

Welcome to the forum. Good luck with your search. If you're not mechanically minded always get a reputable mechanic to check over the vehicle. Cheap investment ($300-$400 for a detailed inspection) if you're outlaying big $$$$. All major automobile associations do them. Cheers Noel
kitdoctor

Postby SilverSP on Sun, 23 Mar 2014 4:38 +0000

Thanks guys for the welcome.
I'm reasonably mechanically minded but know next to nothing about the Hilux so will definitely be getting any potential purchase checked out even if I buy from a dealer.

Cheers
SilverSP

Postby SilverSP on Thu, 27 Jul 2017 12:38 +0000

Hey all. It's been a while since my introduction but the good news is that I finally got a 2017 SR5 and like my name here and hair colour it's all in silver.
The missus wasn't happy at first as mentioned earlier but has accepted it finally with her exclaiming "Theres a truck in the garage" when she saw it first time yesterday.
It's been a long time coming for sure, I noted it was 3 years ago when I first posted here asking about the lux. Decided to get a new one in the end. I brought the missus a new Corolla last year so I think it was fair..

So far it's pretty much stock with only a tray liner, hard tonneau cover, tints and a towbar so far. Might do the LED high beam/Foglight and maybe a LED taillight upgrade as well as upgrading the speakers and adding too a small sub in the future.
It's certainly a massive change coming from a Mazda 3, the Lux is bigger all round, higher and rides like a brick and only fits in the garage with 50mm to spare (yes really)
It's also my first automatic for nearly 20 years as well, Sydney traffic isn't getting any better and I spend more time in the city these days.
Fuel consumption is into the 11's now but I'm sure that this will drop in time once the engine has freed up.
I love looking over almost everyone else too on the roads, I feel like I'm in a small truck and the diesel sound as well as the ride all add to that sensation.

I look forward to reading and joining in here from time to time in conversation in regards to the new mistress.

Cheers
SilverSP

Postby DeadlyBeast on Sun, 30 Jul 2017 9:26 +0000

G'Day Silver and welcome backto the forum ;)

Im sure you have seen all the below before but just in case a refresher helps...

This forum contains an almost endless array of knowledge about the Toyota Hilux and over the years a lot of topics, questions and issues have been addressed. In order to get the most out of the forum and in an attempt to try and keep the information in an organised (well semi :lol: ) manner, please utilise the search function at the top of the page and ask your questions or contribute to existing threads as much as possible.

Here are some useful links to help you get the most out of this forum.

Search
Advanced Search
Search Members Shed's (Start your own shed 8-) Its easy, provides a quick reference of your rig and modifications + no need to use third party photo sharing)
How to post pictures
Sandpit - An area for new members to experiment with posting pictures
Budget mods $50 or less - quick cheap awesome mods to get you started
Forum Directory (BIBLE WIP) - quick links to popular stuff
Oh and the Forum Guidelines, Forum Guidelines

Looking forward to reading your experiences.

Happy posting :D
DeadlyBeast

Return to Introductions