Rust bubbles in the rear window corner

General discussion of basically anything related to the 1988 - 2005 Hilux

Rust bubbles in the rear window corner

Postby CheekyChimpanzee on Mon, 16 May 2011 2:08 +0000

Hi all,

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to car modifications etc.. I've done a lot of very basic under-body work fighting rust in an old sedan but not much else.

I was a bit disgusted, given my history with rust, to find a couple of rust bubbles popping up under the edge of the rear window, right near the seal.

I've been searching google high and low and found basically no advice whatsoever on how to deal with this... I'm assuming at best to fold the rubber back and clean it up a bit, apply some rust kill and a dash of paint.. at worst, to pull the window, apply the TLC and replace the window.

I've got a '99 dual cab hilux 4x4 (petrol) and would love any hinters you might be able to give me. I searched the boards here, but all the hits on rear window were tray-related and not the same thing as what I'm looking for... but that could be user error too. hahaha.

Cheers,
CheekyChimpanzee

Re: Rust bubbles in the rear window corner

Postby Steve9R on Mon, 16 May 2011 2:46 +0000

Yep. fold back the rubber and scrape away the rust bubbles first to see how far in it goes.. you'll probably have to remove the rear window though to do it right as there is no way you'll be able to see how much rust there is by just folding back a little bit..

scrape it off wire brush it if you can, apply killrust, bog and paint.. thats the easiest way..

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Re: Rust bubbles in the rear window corner

Postby CheekyChimpanzee on Mon, 16 May 2011 3:35 +0000

Thanks Steve.

I figured as much... i don't reckon it's got a ton of rust, but I want to get to it quick.... when I bought it, it had a tub-guard in it too.. so at the same time i'll pull that out and go to work on the tray, which I am just assuming will be also riddled courtesy of the guard.

Any good advice or URLs to sites which might give me a heads up on pulling the window? I'd hate to bugger up the electrics!!
CheekyChimpanzee

Return to General Discussion