After market tow bar

General discussion of basically anything related to the 1988 - 2005 Hilux

After market tow bar

Postby frequin on Sun, 13 Mar 2011 3:43 +0000

Hi there,

I am due to take delivery of my 2011 hilux (DC SR5 4x4 AUTO PETROL) at the end of the month and am doing a little homework so i can jump in and modify straight away. I opted to not get the factory Toyota tow bar fitted as it was very expensive.

I'm based in Sydney and I'm searching around for the cheapest option for an aftermarket tow bar.

I want the strongest rating as I will probably fit electric trailer brakes in the future.

What is involved in the wiring for the tow bar? Should i purchase a genuine wiring lume from Toyota? Do i need to splice into the factory the wiring lume at any point? or is there a plug somewhere in it from factory?

I am currently looking at this option on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Toyota-Hilux-Hea ... 27b4a50d16

Although I am skeptical about the wiring being so easy!?,

Wiring is no problem, but I would like it to be as neat/easy/and clean as possible, I don’t really want to go cutting into the lume on a brand new truck!

Thanks in advance!
frequin

Re: After market tow bar

Postby Glenn Torrens on Mon, 14 Mar 2011 5:12 +0000

The towbar is $600-$700 installed... less than two percent of the price of the whole vehicle! Installed, wired, warranted.

I installed a second-hand Toyota bar on my 05. Cost me $200 from the wreckers and and hour or two to fit and wire. I needed to cut into the loom as there is no plug 'n play facility on the Hilux...

Best to have a mate who can help; lifting it into place by yourself is a bit difficult... I had a milk crate and floor jack to assist.
Glenn Torrens

Postby Rebs on Mon, 14 Mar 2011 10:47 +0000

If you are planning on towing a trailer/caravan with incandescent stop, tail, indicator and side lights then you need the Toyota tow bar wiring kit. The price of the rated and warranted Toyota bar is not too bad, its the wiring harness that whacks the price up and you may need it anyway.
I got the genuine item in the end as there was stuff all price difference really.
Rebs

Postby Oz Bruiser on Mon, 14 Mar 2011 6:47 +0000

Hey mate got my HD towbar, hitch style fitted at Carasel Towbars at Moorbank. Same rating as Hayman reese. Had one on our Calais and served us well and still is, and now on my Lux and had no issues either. Think from memory was $450 fitted
http://www.carasel.com.au/contactus.htm
At the time was best value for money. Might be worth a look for you.

In the link you posted it says "*ONLY FITS HI LUX WITH NO REAR STEP"" as you getting an SR5 you will have a rear step. Mine is an SR5 and has rear step.
Oz Bruiser

Postby sdrob on Mon, 14 Mar 2011 7:07 +0000

speak to toyota, i have a 2010 hilux (december) and the factory wiring loom is a powered loom for the trailer straight from the battery, uses a relay box under the bonnet to switch indicators on.. reason for this is apparently indicators have burnt out looms and damaged ecu's.. toyota will not warranty ecu failures with non genuine towbar looms i was told...
my suggestion is price like for like, when i got prices around adelaide the genuine toyota kit was only $50 dollars more than other brands
sdrob

Postby john253a on Mon, 14 Mar 2011 7:15 +0000

I got my genuine Toyota towbar fitted for around $700 off memory.
I priced the hayman reese fitted in my local area and the best was $450 but most were $500.

I opted for genuine for warrant and insurance reasons.

As for warrant reasons, if i have any issues (as i have already) with car down the line it's easier to claim warranty for repairs.(during towing my gearbox wined)

Insurance, with new cars they have a new for old replacement within 2 years if stolen or damaged, they said they only replace the vehicle with options supplied from dealer apon purchase, all after market accessories will need to be replaced/or removed and fitted by me at my expense.(but check this with your insurance company as, all are different)
farting is alot like jxxxxxg off. both provide instant gratification, but neither is a long term solution to the actual problem......................
john253a

Postby metalux on Thu, 24 Mar 2011 7:56 +0000

The relay box comes with 2 outputs incase you want to add a genuine bullbar down the track too. The ebay one doesn't look like it bolts up the same way the genuine ones do. (I might be wrong, the pic looks deceiving) They have 3 bolts in each side, 2 which bolt to the back of the chassis on each side then 1 long one which goes right through the chassis and has a spacer which sits inside of the chassis to compensate for that extra weight. You should be able to get a genuine towbar, loom and ball in a deal. Im about to get some prices for my Hilux soon, but I will get it cheaper as I work for Toyota anyway :D
metalux

Return to General Discussion