Buying advice

General discussion of basically anything related to the 1988 - 2005 Hilux

Buying advice

Postby Ojay on Sat, 09 Oct 2010 8:58 +0000

Hey everyone,

I had a look around but couldn't find a whole bunch that was relevant to buying advice. I suppose everyone's circumstances are different any how??

So I'm looking to get me my first 'Lux... in fact my first 4x4 at all! Have had a bit of a scout about already and spoke to some mates so just wanted to get some other opinions really.

There's two I've seen that I have my eye on:

2000 TOYOTA HILUX LN167R - http://bit.ly/ajoUJd
$12k | 131,000km's | 4x4 | 5 speed Manual 4 cylinder Diesel Multi-point injected 3.0L | 31" mud tyres and a winch |4 door
Looks well looked after and has a turbo pack as an additional option. Has been sat in a garage for 6 months and needs to be sold to free up some room.

Or...

2002 TOYOTA HILUX VZN167R MY02 - http://bit.ly/9axC3Z
$15k | 138,500km's | 4x4 | 5 speed Manual 6 cylinder Unleaded Multi-point injected 3.4L | New tyres | Spotlights | Long range tank and rego until dec 2012

$15k is about top of my budget I would say... would prefer cheaper, as if I needed to say that? Thing is, i'm in Northern NSW, the 2000 model is south of Melbourne and the 2002 is Brissy... soo the 2000 model would have to justify a flight down and petrol back. They both look very similar and in good nick to be fair, so I can't see much between them.

Questions I had in mind to ask are, how much off roading have they done? & how much on the beach? Any oil leaks as yet (apparently that's common)? I heard they did some builds in Thailand around the 2005 models and that they're a bit shakey, true?? Diesel or petrol? Anyone convert to LPG??

Any advice on the trucks would be sweet and a heads up on what to look out for and things to ask equally so.

Enjoy the weekend boys! Cheers...
Ojay

Re: Buying advice

Postby Ojay on Thu, 14 Oct 2010 8:43 +0000

No advice or points going for a first time 'Lux buyer?? c'mon... hook a brother up!!

Might be an idea to put together a rough buying guide as a sticky?? Things to look out for etc etc... just a thought!

:)
Ojay

Postby white_hilux on Thu, 14 Oct 2010 8:58 +0000

Personally, I would buy the first one as its a diesel (better fuel economy), has done less km's and the turbo pack which will help making up the lack of power. I owned a 1993 4x4 hilux without the turbo and it was quite slow and even worse when it was towing. It was my first ever can and it was fantastic though.

It all depends on how my 4wding you intend to do really. The diesel is a better 4wd and as you said it has big tyres and a winch already which would be handy.

One of my friends owns a 2003 3.4L petrol and he loves it as well. It has plently of power but it goes through the fuel quicker.

But in the end its really personal preferance.
Ben
2006 SR Extra Cab
2" lift, 32" Bighorns, F & R Diff Locked, Rock sliders, TJM Bullbar and Winch

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there
white_hilux

Postby hodgo81 on Thu, 14 Oct 2010 12:54 +0000

I have a friend with the v6 petrol and even with no load in it, it sucks a lot of petrol 450km to a tank about 65L.

Also I researched getting one and putting it on LPG, but apparently toyota valves as a general rule dont like gas. so you might need to reco the heads with LPG safe valves if you want to LPG it... should be a lot cheaper to run though.
hodgo81

Return to General Discussion