Need help deciding on best route to lift my Hilux Surf

General discussion of basically anything related to the 1988 - 2005 Hilux

Need help deciding on best route to lift my Hilux Surf

Postby Tausen on Tue, 15 Sep 2020 4:56 +0000

Hey everybody. First time posting.

I am looking to replace the rear coils of my 1994 Hilux Surf (KZN130 3.0cc) with Old Man Emu Medium Load 1.5", which should lift the rear and improving riding conditions and sag.

Last year, I replaced my front shocks with Ranch Rs5000 shocks.

If I replace the rear coils, (I'd also do the rear shocks). Do I need special shocks to accommodate the 1.5" lift that the coils will provide?

I'm also open to any suggestions of rear coils and shock combo to assist sag and slightly raise the truck and maybe somebody can help with tailgate ladder like on this website https://truckpowerup.com/tailgate-ladde ... up-trucks/.

Thanks for your reply.
Last edited by Tausen on Sat, 03 Oct 2020 3:57 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Tausen

Re: Need help deciding on best route to lift my Hilux Surf

Postby taresk on Fri, 18 Sep 2020 10:27 +0000

My first car was a 1993 4Runner (same vehicle, different engine), I used Rancho RS9000 shocks all around with Lovells coils on the rear and Ultimate Suspension Torsion Bars up front.
The Lovells coils (which were a 2" lift) worked quite well, I actually had a 130lt aux. fuel tank where the spare tyre goes and a steel rear bar, because I had the adjustable Ranchos, it handled well if I had that rear tank full or empty, so I can definitely recommend that combination.

Most aftermarket shocks will suit a 2" lift, and it is ok to have the rear at 2" while the front is 1.5" because it will sit better any time you load it up. If you don't carry much load, then look for a progressive coil, so it is nice and soft when unloaded.
taresk

Re: Need help deciding on best route to lift my Hilux Surf

Postby Rob_Wood on Tue, 22 Sep 2020 1:32 +0000

Taresk has hit the nail on the head. Whatever you do suspension wise you need to know what you're doing or ... OR get properly qualified advise. It all depends on 2 loads. The load you carry every day AND the max load you might carry on holidays.
Rob_Wood

Return to General Discussion