Aircon not blowing

General discussion of basically anything related to the 1988 - 2005 Hilux

Aircon not blowing

Postby lowchop on Sun, 24 Nov 2019 2:24 +0000

I'm kinda at a breaking point. The blower died on my LN167 Hilux (the carbon brushes were gone) a couple of months ago. So I bought a second hand blower off ebay, however when I got it, it was fairly different to the one in there. The fan itself was bigger than the previous one and a different style, however it still fit so I threw it in. It worked I could hear it working even on high but absolutely no air came out of the vents.

I figured there must of been a blockage somewhere so I pulled out most of the dash to get to the vent system as I didn't want to degas the air con leaving that as a worst case. No blockage was found, so I degassed the air con and pulled out the evaporator. It had a fair bit of crap in it as there isn't a filter but I could still see daylight through it and could get air through it with the air compressor but it was slowed a lot. I also took this opportunity to check the blower was blowing lots of air which it was. So I bought a new evaporator from a wrecker which was much cleaner though still with a bit of crud in it.

I tested it with the air compressor and it was only slightly better than my one. So I stuck it in and decided that the 2nd hand blower wasn't putting out enough air even though it seemed like it was. So I managed to find a brand new one in the states and bought that. I just received and installed that today, and absolutely no bloody difference!

All the air seems to stop at the evaporator. Not really sure what to do now, considering getting another evaporator but this whole exercise is starting to get bloody rich. I'm hoping someone has ran into a similar issue and can help me out as I really don't understand what could be going wrong it seems a like a pretty simple system. Also considering just buying the most powerful 12v motor I can get and making a custom mount for it and sticking the fan on it to just try and force air through.
lowchop

Re: Aircon not blowing

Postby martynvella on Mon, 25 Nov 2019 5:12 +0000

Are all the duct flaps working?
Was the old fan moving air through the system before it stopped?
Are your replacemant fans turning the right way? If they are turning backwards they will seem to be moving a lot of air but have very little pressure when restricted.
martynvella

Postby Gipsy on Mon, 25 Nov 2019 5:13 +0000

Is it sucking instead of blowing? Maybe a polarity issue?
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby lowchop on Mon, 25 Nov 2019 8:33 +0000

Yep that was it. They must of switched the polarity on the different fan models. It had to be something bloody simple which is annoying but at least it works now, cheers guys.
lowchop

Postby Gipsy on Mon, 25 Nov 2019 9:07 +0000

Good, another problem solved :D maybe another victim of negative switching?? :?
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Return to General Discussion