Is your work ute travelling to slow down the quarter mile?

General discussion of basically anything related to the 1988 - 2005 Hilux

Is your work ute travelling to slow down the quarter mile?

Postby ackky on Wed, 10 Apr 2019 10:09 +0000

If you find your old 1990's work ute not travelling quickly down the quarter mile and you thought removing the tool box would help, my suggestion is to look elsewhere too....

The other day I had to adjust the hinges on the door and removed the fender only to discover the old ute was hoarding about a litre or more of dirt and crap inside the guard. Obviously it had done the odd trip on unsealed roads, but still the amount was surprising. There was no sign of rust as one would expect where dirt and likely water would collect behind the guard, so no warning bells, however the bolts on the bottom did snap. so I need to remove them the hard way.

I would hazard a guess the other side is similar, so perhaps worth a few minutes loosing the guards to get rid of dirt build up if you do a lot of off road driving.

Job is not hard, and takes about 10-15 minutes to free the guard and then the dirt drops out easily, unless of course the bottom bolts snap....so perhaps a good dose of rust spray before attempting the first time or be prepared to remove the harder way. On the passenger side just watch your antenna... but otherwise there is no hidden bolts or difficulty in losing the guard enough to Free Willy - I mean the dirt!
ackky

Re: Is your work ute travelling to slow down the quarter mil

Postby LiL-Gnome on Fri, 12 Apr 2019 9:20 +0000

Always a good thing to do after a long weekend away from the tard stuff, also be mindfull of the snorkel whe removing the guards ;)
LiL-Gnome!

Sometimes I just want to hug my wife really really really tight (by the throat) until she falls asleep in my arms...... I'm kind of a romantic guy....
LiL-Gnome

Return to General Discussion