sump guard captive nut spinning in crossmember

General discussion of basically anything related to the 1988 - 2005 Hilux

sump guard captive nut spinning in crossmember

Postby mauricem on Thu, 24 Aug 2017 9:41 +0000

hey guys, trying to drop the factory sump/bash guard on a 03 LN167 lux, needed to fit a new PS belt and thought I'd check diffs etc while down there.

3 of the 4 bolts needed heat to loosen and thought I was all OK till realised one of them was spinning due to the supposedly captive nut in the crossmember breaking loose. The thing is I cant see any way to get a spanner or socket up there to hold the nut without pulling apart the crossmember which doesnt look like much fun as it seems to hold up all sorts of stuff like diffs etc.

It's one of the rear bolts thats spinning so there's reasonable access to the bolt head which I guess I could grind off but hopefully theres a better way?
mauricem

Re: sump guard captive nut spinning in crossmember

Postby mauricem on Thu, 24 Aug 2017 11:59 +0000

Heres a pic of recalcitrant bolt? Its on the passenger side so not as much hanging off that side of the cross member. Trying to work out if I can just support the crossmember, undo the wheel strut? and jack that up to get access to the nut?
mauricem

Postby fracturedranga on Thu, 24 Aug 2017 5:44 +0000

Guessing youve tried a rattle gun and wiggling it as you go? That can sometimes undo bolts without needing a spanner on the nut. If not id cut the bolt head off
fracturedranga

Postby mauricem on Fri, 25 Aug 2017 9:34 +0000

Thanks for that Ranga, ended up taking bolt head off, now tossing up between fitting a stud, tapping the crossmember, cable ties or fencing wire to refit. :lol:

Think I'll probably tap it for a new bolt, I guess there's enough meat in the crossmember for a few turns and with a bit of loctite for good measure it will hopefully hold it in place
mauricem

Postby fracturedranga on Fri, 25 Aug 2017 10:13 +0000

http://www.bunnings.com.au/kincrome-m10 ... t_p5910353
Thats what id be using. Youll need the tool to put them in but its handy to have. It is possible to put them in using a bigger nut as a washer and thighten them in with the bolt but id recommend getting the tool. I got an ebay kit for about $50 but it only goes to 6mm.
Also make sure you use neversieze or grease on the bolts when you put them back in so you dont have this issue again
fracturedranga

Postby mauricem on Fri, 25 Aug 2017 4:19 +0000

I've had a nutsert system on the radar for a while now, just needed a reason to justify it, maybe this is it?

As I recently bought a pretty decent tap and die set I'll probably tap the crossmember to start and see how that works, if it doesnt hold then I'll go the nutsert. May have to spend a few more $ to get m8 or m10.

This truck had done a fair amount of beach work before we got it so lots of stuff is rust welded on, big fan of copper ease etc. always use on reassembly
mauricem

Postby DrewXT on Sat, 26 Aug 2017 8:07 +0000

Don't tap it, use a nutsert .... You can put them in with a bolt, 2 washers and a nut, and will give a solution that want cause grief down the track.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
DrewXT

Return to General Discussion