Screeching Sound from Under Car Travelling Low Speeds

General discussion of basically anything related to the 1988 - 2005 Hilux

Screeching Sound from Under Car Travelling Low Speeds

Postby 2003 SR5 on Wed, 05 Jul 2017 1:46 +0000

Hi,

Recently been hearing a screeching sound coming from under my 2003 SR5 Hilux (Auto Petrol) when traveling at low speeds and when the car is hot. Sounds like its coming from the front left wheel and sounds rotational. Had it looked by the mechanic and could not spot the issue. It comes and goes, i recently replaced front wheel bearings, disc brakes, disc rotor, wheel bearing kit front, brake drum, rear wheel cylinder, brake fliud, tie rod end, idler arm and CV shafts.
Still the noise can still be heard.

Does anybody else have or had this problem?

regards

Phill
2003 SR5

Re: Screeching Sound from Under Car Travelling Low Speeds

Postby shalee on Sat, 23 Jun 2018 6:33 +0000

Hi

I've had something like what you are talking about and it ended up being the speedo cable.
I disconnected mine twice (didn't beleive it) underneath at the transfercase. Drove it - sound gone. Reconnect - sound back.

I pulled my cable (centre only) out. Cleaned it with WD 40 and superfine steelwool. When clean rinsed? with contact cleaner and wiped with a rag. I then sprayed it with silicone dry lubricant.
When dry I coiled it up in a plastic bag with only the end I was about to feed in. This way you can put your cable in without getting dirt and crud on it.

Reinstalled and out for a test drive- all quite.

Hope your sound is an easy fix like this.

Cheers Shane
shalee

Return to General Discussion