Long Arm kit for ifs

General discussion of basically anything related to the 1988 - 2005 Hilux

Long Arm kit for ifs

Postby LuX54 on Fri, 23 Sep 2016 9:57 +0000

Anyone in Aus running a long arm kit on their 98-04 hilux? Seen plenty of guys taking to this in the states. This is the type of kit http://blazeland.us/long-arm-kits/

Already running balljoint spacers and low profile bumpstops on my 03 hilux, would be nice to have more travel!

Cheers
LuX54

Re: Long Arm kit for ifs

Postby TOYZX on Fri, 23 Sep 2016 10:05 +0000

Checked out snake racing? I know they do kits for the navara.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby tidlibitz on Wed, 28 Sep 2016 7:49 +0000

I am also interested in anyone in QLD running a blazeland kit. I have done a far bit of research into his setups and it looks like a great option for improving the IFS significantly without going to the extent of a SAS. If you can weld the arms, the weld up kit is only 4-500 AUD + postage. Should be able to get it rolling for a grand or so without engineering... And that to me seems to be the biggest issue, will be getting it all ticked and singed.

Blazeland kit is approx 6" track increase. Legal increase i believe is 2" but it could only be 1". If bringing the wheel back is necessary. Some rims with positive offset or even looking into solid axle hubs. They are 3" narrower in track but there may be some clearance issues?? Seems to be popular to put the ifs on the solid axle. If they can be fitted though, going from the -8 surf offset to +5 should get it in the bag for a 2" increase. Otherwise i believe it can be approved with a swerve test, in the region of a grand itself.

Hopefully there no issues with the inside of the rim contacting the arms? might have to limit it a fair bit?

The other part is the whole longer and welded arms, extra stress on the bushes/ mounting bolts etc etc. I have no idea how far you will need to go with getting that approved. The welding looks as though you need a fair bit of testing and a report from an engineer/ metallurgist. doable. I guess you gotta hope its all they want and the existing fasteners are up to the task.

Has anyone got a long travel kit mod plated in QLD?
tidlibitz

Postby tidlibitz on Wed, 28 Sep 2016 7:56 +0000

Snake only do that 4" bracket kit. Same amount of travel but the whole lot is 4" lower. No thanks.
tidlibitz

Postby kAm on Sat, 01 Oct 2016 11:10 +0000

trickiest part is retaining 4wd with all that travel.
don't think you could physically get a positive offset rim that will bring it back within guards, even if you did, the back spacing will allow the rim to rub on the control arm as that is push out with the long travel. your only option is to go wide body with a tacoma kit.

closest you can get to that with it looking legal is a 4" diff drop hybrid setup.
drop the diff, dont install the extended bump stops. change out control arm bushes and run extended shocks with new shock towers, BJ spacers.

you could install all that and be fine but its the extra track thats going to attract attention.
then the rear needs to be sorted too. the yanks seem to throw on spacers to widen the rear but that seems sketch
kAm

Return to General Discussion