02 1kzte chip?

General discussion of basically anything related to the 1988 - 2005 Hilux

02 1kzte chip?

Postby Mattyluxx44 on Thu, 03 Mar 2016 4:36 +0000

Hey guys just got a stage 2 red dirt diesel chip. Anyone dealt with them. Problems? Etc
Cheers
Mattyluxx44

Re: 02 1kzte chip?

Postby goldiexxxx on Sat, 05 Mar 2016 12:29 +0000

I have a Tunit chip which both looks the same and pretty much does the same thing. Problems? Yeah, the previous owner destroyed the engine with it which required a total rebuild. My advice is to take it very easy with how much extra power you try to get from the chip. It will deliver power just as designed, but extra power means extra stresses on an engine that was not engineered to handle it. Any increase in power you gain is a decrease in engine life......... you make your own compromise by how much less reliability you want or need.

Unless the chip is of the type which pretty much replaces the ECU software, most achieve the extra power by just modifying the signal to the fuel delivery system so that extra fuel is delivered during a given range of conditions. They do this by reading and or modifying one or more of a couple sensors. Throttle position, Manifold Air Pressure (boost), or Mass air flow rate. Squeeze shut the rubber hose going to your Manifold Air Pressure sensor on a 1KZ-TE and see what response you get from your ECU........ it will deliver less fuel making the engine a bit gutless because it thinks the engine doesn't have enough air to burn all the fuel anyway. So when you modify the signal (voltage) by a couple volts from the MAP sensor, the ECU responds in an opposite fashion by adding more fuel.
So when you replace the factory exhaust, install a free flow air filter, install a manual boost controller so that you can achieve a higher max boost level, and then plug in a chip to over-fuel the engine, you will give that engine an ability to damage itself. The result is lots of heat and mechanical stress which cracks the already weak alloy head and pistons.
Go gentle my friend!!
goldiexxxx

Postby pipert on Mon, 14 Mar 2016 12:48 +0000

I run the red dirt diesel chip on my 5LE (running an aftermarket turbo), snorkel and 2.5" straight through exhaust. No issues so far
2000 Dual Cab Hilux "Tonka" LN167
pipert

Postby Mattyluxx44 on Thu, 17 Mar 2016 5:04 +0000

Cheers mate. I have a snorkel and a full turbo back 3' exhaust also have a pyro gauge fitted.
Mattyluxx44

Return to General Discussion