Chassis Swap?

General discussion of basically anything related to the 1988 - 2005 Hilux

Chassis Swap?

Postby Rob_Wood on Thu, 16 Feb 2023 4:28 +0000

Hi All,
Currently considering my options.
I am thinking about buying a "Spare Parts" vehicle from Thailand. mine is a 2004, does anyone know if a 2005 (or later) uses the same Chassis? If not, how much difference is there in the chassis of later models?
Regards & Thanks
Rob
Rob_Wood

Re: Chassis Swap?

Postby hiluxxury on Fri, 17 Feb 2023 3:46 +0000

Compare part numbers on partsouq or a similar website.

Plenty of ytubes on how to do a chassis swap quickly - the tacomas had a rusting chassis problem where plenty were replaced under warranty. So good tips and tricks about.
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby 241steve on Fri, 17 Feb 2023 4:35 +0000

when did hilux change from torsion bars to coil front springs alot may be different . What excatly are you trying to achieve?
241steve

Postby Rob_Wood on Sat, 18 Feb 2023 1:27 +0000

241steve wrote:when did hilux change from torsion bars to coil front springs alot may be different . What excatly are you trying to achieve?

Haha,
Steve,
You've asked the question I was hoping no-one would ask because the answer is a little embarrassing. The story is a little involved, so here goes:
Had a service done last week on the (2004) twin cab naturally aspirated diesel 4x4. I was informed that at the next service this ute is gonna start costing me:
There's a slight leak at the top of the gear box somewhere it took half a litre of oil, front pads will likely need replacing, rear left axle is leaking oil around the seal ... Hang on, you replaced the wheel bearings a year or 2 back, what's that about? Blank look.
Living on a poorly maintained dirt road doesn't do the ute any favours and this one is starting to show a few "creaks and groans" as time goes by.
I'd like to get a 76 series or a twin cab 79 series. Both outside being affordable for us.
Looking at what is available I am looking at Hilux (for being able to survive the road we live on). This said, Something out of Thailand I might get a 2005 to 2010 for under $20K, not including shipping. Looking more locally I've found a few auction sites where I might get something around 2005 to 2007 for under $15K. I am guessing they are likely been through the recent floods or something.
Pensioner paying a mortgage with a young family to feed, choices aren't high. I realise I won't be getting much from these options, but whether it's Thailand or an Insurance write-off ... The idea would be to put whatever I get onto my current chassis so I can still get it registered and use it to get the daughter to school.
The only other thing I've found that might be affordable for us is something called a "Tata". Dunno anything about it, but just a quick look at the photos on the internet tell me I doubt it'd last 5 minutes on our road.
Just in case someone has any other ideas for a durable and affordable vehicle, I need a back seat for my daughters "kiddy" seat and we need 4x4 for when it gets wet out here. I even looked the other day at Suzuki, but the Jimney only has 2 doors, buckling in the daughter would not be easy. Unimog would do the job too, but they don't come either affordable OR with a back seat.
Please don't be too cruel with your comments, I would appreciated some realistic ideas if anyone has any. As you can see from my plan to "Chassis Swap" I am open to all sorts of ideas.
Kinda hoping <CDNN70> is still looking at the forum occasionally, he's already bought in Thailand, be nice to know how his purchase is going.
Rob_Wood

Postby 241steve on Sat, 18 Feb 2023 4:57 +0000

If you want to keep your lux on the road I think it wants new parts, you dont want a parts car with a heap of parts you'll never use and the few you do want will be rooted. Surely you could get the brakes done fix the rear wheel bearing ,change over gear box new clutch for less than $10k. A mate spent $6k on a reco gear box for a 2009 diesal lux installed a few months ago.
241steve

Postby Gipsy on Sat, 18 Feb 2023 5:19 +0000

I'm with Steve, surely better the devil you know (am I allowed to say that?). All the bits and pieces won't add up to the shipping cost let alone the initial purchase. If you fix the one you have (love the one you're withm ;) ) then you know what's coming and not some mystery bag!
BTW, you mentioned hilux under $15k... That's got to be better than an import?? If they're written-off they can't be sold so why not look for a more recent model, say 2012-15? At least your coming up into the more recent models with new technology.
If you don't really need a diesel there's a petrol 2015 on Gumtree under $20k with 78ks on it in Mayfield ;)
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Rob_Wood on Sat, 18 Feb 2023 12:43 +0000

Steve & Gipsy,
I know exactly what you're saying about knowing what you've got. I was just trying to figure out if I could "update" to a 2010 (or later) by getting a written off something and doing a chassis swap with my current ute to make it good to go? I know they don't make it easy, I was just wondering how difficult they do actually make it?
Yes, repairing what I have will be a little bit cheaper, but I'll still be stuck changing down gears with a naturally aspirated diesel. The ute isn't the only one getting a little long in the tooth. "A Change is as good as a Holiday" and all that. Didn't wanna mention it, but this one is also starting to develop pockets of "Steel Cancer" in some very unhealthy places.
Just Dreaming I guess.

Still gotta see "IF" and if so, "How Much" the bank might lend a pensioner with a mortgage as well. I bet that'll be a short conversation.
Rob_Wood

Return to General Discussion