Noise on bumpy roads - solved

General discussion of basically anything related to the 1988 - 2005 Hilux

Noise on bumpy roads - solved

Postby Sharonjh on Fri, 31 Dec 2021 3:45 +0000

Hi, can anyone please help with what may be causing this sound when going on bumpy roads? It’s a 2001 4x2 2.7l hilux.


https://youtube.com/shorts/J8Kr1dEl65k?feature=share
Last edited by Sharonjh on Fri, 14 Jan 2022 2:43 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Sharonjh
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 3:34 +0000
Location: South Australia


 

Re: Noise on bumpy roads

Postby Rob_Wood on Fri, 31 Dec 2021 4:43 +0000

Sharonjh wrote:Hi, can anyone please help with what may be causing this sound when going on bumpy roads? It’s a 2001 4x2 2.7l hilux.
https://youtube.com/shorts/J8Kr1dEl65k?feature=share


Bit hard to tell from the recording, but it almost sounds like bump stops are hitting. Get your shocks checked is all I can suggest for now.
Rob_Wood
 
Posts: 325
Joined: Mon, 21 Sep 2020 8:32 +0000
Location: NSW

Re: Noise on bumpy roads

Postby Sharonjh on Fri, 31 Dec 2021 5:03 +0000

The car also has worn area on outside of tyre on the side of the noise.
Sharonjh
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 3:34 +0000
Location: South Australia

Re: Noise on bumpy roads

Postby Sharonjh on Fri, 31 Dec 2021 5:03 +0000

Rob_Wood wrote:
Sharonjh wrote:Hi, can anyone please help with what may be causing this sound when going on bumpy roads? It’s a 2001 4x2 2.7l hilux.
https://youtube.com/shorts/J8Kr1dEl65k?feature=share


Bit hard to tell from the recording, but it almost sounds like bump stops are hitting. Get your shocks checked is all I can suggest for now.



Thanks Rob, I’ll get them checked.
Sharonjh
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 3:34 +0000
Location: South Australia

Re: Noise on bumpy roads

Postby Rob_Wood on Sat, 01 Jan 2022 12:28 +0000

Sharonjh wrote:The car also has worn area on outside of tyre on the side of the noise.


Wear on only one side of the tyre indicates you'll need (at the least) a wheel alignment
Rob_Wood
 
Posts: 325
Joined: Mon, 21 Sep 2020 8:32 +0000
Location: NSW

Re: Noise on bumpy roads

Postby Gipsy on Sat, 01 Jan 2022 5:25 +0000

It sounds more like a broken shock absorber... Try pushing down on the mudguard on the front and see the rebound... Broken shock will show up as the front bounces up and down and not just returning to the normal position. The worn tyre also indicates a worn/broken shock absorber especially if the wear is uneven, scalloped. Also check around the shock absorber for oil leaking from the seal. The age of the vehicle also indicates it's probably due for new shocks. Take it to a suspension specialist.
Cheers Gipsy :D
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy
 
Posts: 1848
Joined: Tue, 07 May 2013 2:00 +0000
Location: South Coast NSW and all over Oz

Re: Noise on bumpy roads

Postby Sharonjh on Sat, 01 Jan 2022 9:16 +0000

Gipsy wrote:It sounds more like a broken shock absorber... Try pushing down on the mudguard on the front and see the rebound... Broken shock will show up as the front bounces up and down and not just returning to the normal position. The worn tyre also indicates a worn/broken shock absorber especially if the wear is uneven, scalloped. Also check around the shock absorber for oil leaking from the seal. The age of the vehicle also indicates it's probably due for new shocks. Take it to a suspension specialist.


Thanks Gipsy, appreciate your advice.
Sharonjh
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 3:34 +0000
Location: South Australia

Re: Noise on bumpy roads

Postby Sharonjh on Fri, 14 Jan 2022 2:05 +0000

I replaced the front shocks. They were blown but it wasn’t what was causing the noise. I’m wondering if it’s some sort of interior vibration noise now as is doesn’t sound like metal.
Sharonjh
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 3:34 +0000
Location: South Australia

Re: Noise on bumpy roads

Postby Sharonjh on Fri, 14 Jan 2022 2:43 +0000

Solved. It’s the mud guard flapping lol
Sharonjh
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 3:34 +0000
Location: South Australia

Re: Noise on bumpy roads

Postby GREGSLUX on Sun, 16 Jan 2022 8:33 +0000

:lol: :lol: at least that was a cheap fix
Sharonjh wrote:Solved. It’s the mud guard flapping lol
GREGSLUX
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun, 07 Feb 2021 12:52 +0000
Location: Penrith


Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest