Is this a good first car 2004 sr5?

General discussion of basically anything related to the 1988 - 2005 Hilux

Re: Is this a good first car 2004 sr5?

Postby bigfut on Thu, 28 Jan 2016 4:05 +0000

Jack4WD wrote:
bigfut wrote:
Jack4WD wrote:Thanks mate!

Also thanks for the reply on my other thread mate. I've heard about te 2004 is the last of the 'unbreakable' Lux's. I've heard about the diesel issues with the post 05 Lux's.

Is your Hilux a turbo-diesel or is yours a petrol?

Mines a 99, so has the "5L" motor (3 litre n/a diesel), its the slow n steady wins the race kindof motor :)
Everything else on it, is how I want it, so the plan is to get a turbo put on it in the near future. Its fine most of the time, it can just be painful when your loaded up in hilly terrain. If I could go back and do it again I would have searched for a 1KZTE turbo, but now the rest of the ute is setup, its cheaper to turbo it than to sell and buy another, that has an unknown history.

That sounds sweet mate. If you get a turbo in that you will be flying up the hills. :)

I sound really dumb but why do people call them 5L engines when they are only 3L?

Just the motor codes really. I believe the 2.8 diesel is the "3L" code engine, then there is mine the 5L (mechanical injection), then early 2000s it went to the 5LE (EFI). Then over the 5L and 5LE time span, there was also the 1KZTE motor (factory turbo diesel).

I went the 5L for the mechanical injection. Wanted it as simple as I could get, with no electronics.
bigfut

Re: Is this a good first car 2004 sr5?

Postby Jack4WD on Thu, 28 Jan 2016 7:11 +0000

Thanks mate, I gathered it was something around those lines :)

Cheers ;)
Jack4WD

Previous

Return to General Discussion