Help a newb out

General discussion of basically anything related to the 1988 - 2005 Hilux

Help a newb out

Postby Jmart432 on Thu, 14 Jan 2016 7:04 +0000

HI guys so Im new here and I just bought myself a hilux which we will be picking up on the weekend. It cost $8,500 and is a 99 single cab 3lt diesel (non turbo) with a tilt tray. Obviously the tray is custom made but it also has a "sports exhaust" (not sure how wide), couple toolboxes, steel arb bullbar, very new all terrain tyres (stock size), and 220 on the clock.

Anyway, Im pretty new to the 4wd scene. My dad is an engineer and my brother is a sierra addict but this is my first car and the only automotive experience ive had has been on a couple motorbikes.

So, can someone give me the complete breakdown on this car. I know its the engines a 5L but is there a more specific model name for the car? Also what should I look out for on it?

As for future plans for it I dont see myself going to 4wd parks every chance I get but more going on the odd camping trip or checking out local tracks so the extent of what ill do is probably going to be limited to putting a snorkel on and maybe some spot lights or a light bar (can someone confirm if I can get away with just using the current single battery to run a light bar?)

Anyway, thanks for any help on it and I cant wait to get this on the road (still got 2 months til I get my Ls lol)

Edit: one last thing, I want to keep this thing legal so can someone give me the run down on that too? (tyres, lift, lights, etc.)
Jmart432

Return to General Discussion