Tail shaft grinding centre bearing

General discussion of basically anything related to the 1988 - 2005 Hilux

Tail shaft grinding centre bearing

Postby Pricenator on Thu, 16 Jul 2015 7:57 +0000

Hey guys anyone tell me what may be causing the front nuts on my rear tail shaft to be hitting the centre bearing bracket and chewing the centre bearing out? It's mainly under exeleration and worse taking off or going up hills... It's like there is not enough clearence between shaft and bearing but I don't no what is causing it I have changed between 3 shaft's but no matter what I do it still happens? It's an 89 hilux with a 92 model turbo diesel motor and it has 2" springs and 2" cab lift
Pricenator

Re: Tail shaft grinding centre bearing

Postby davenmarcia on Thu, 16 Jul 2015 1:42 +0000

swap it out for a single straight shaft eliminates the need for a centre bearing.
davenmarcia

Postby Pricenator on Thu, 16 Jul 2015 2:41 +0000

I thought about doing that but then if it takes a hit it will bend and I'll have to replace the whole thing
Pricenator

Postby jplozza on Tue, 21 Jul 2015 9:10 +0000

Have you had the rear suspension replaced or upgraded?

Sounds like the rear axle may have moved forward. Make sure there is still some movement available in the rear shaft slip splines. If there is little or no available movement for the shaft to shorten up when driving then most likely the rear axle has moved on the rear leaf springs and is pushing the whole drive train forward. including transfer box, gear box and engine.

When you accelerate and travel up hills the give in the suspension will naturally push the rear axle forward. also when there is extra weight in the tub or on the tow bar.

Also check the rubbers in the leaf springs where they mount to the chassis (forward of the axle) if these are chewed out this could also allow the axle to move forward pushing the drive train forward.
jplozza

Postby Pricenator on Thu, 26 Nov 2015 4:22 +0000

There was plenty of movement in slip, couldn't find the problem so I have just gone a one piece. Thanks for the help guys :)
Pricenator

Return to General Discussion