Breathers

General discussion of basically anything related to the 1988 - 2005 Hilux

Breathers

Postby jpathy on Sun, 09 Oct 2011 9:04 +0000

Does anyone know where the breathers are on the gearbox and transfer case on an 02 hilux? And if so, how to get to them?
My Hilux Build up
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=8877
jpathy

Re: Breathers

Postby elvin on Mon, 10 Oct 2011 7:07 +0000

Same question for a 2000 SR5 dual cab please.
elvin

Postby HardCharger on Mon, 10 Oct 2011 1:33 +0000

Breathers on the G52 Transmission is located on top near the gear shift and t-case lever. You should use an "L" fitting so you don't pinch the hose when you put the interior trim back on.

As for the t-case, I hear that you have to tap out the breather with a drill and do you plumbing from there but I haven't seen it done yet.

Hope this helps.
HardCharger

Postby jpathy on Mon, 10 Oct 2011 2:59 +0000

I Found them.

They are right besides the gear stick for each one of them. You need to pull out the console etc to get to them, Heres how.

1. Open the lid of your centre console, pull out all the crap and at the bottom there is 2 X 10mm bolts to remove

2. Along the side of the console there are 4 screws (2 either side) remove them

3. Unscrew gear knob, remove small philips screw in 4WD stick and lift panel up. When you have it up enough theres a wire for the 4WD button to disconnect before you can pull the panel/gear boots right off.

4. Under this you will find two rubber boots around the gear sticks, on this panel is 4 gold 10mm bolts to remove, once undone get a small flat blade screw driver under one side of this plate and lift up. This will release it and make it easy to pull of. Then work the rubber boots up the sticks until completely free.

5. Wallah, where you see the two blue hoses are the breathers. Now the issue is that they dont bolt on/off like the diff ones. So i popped off the top cap (same as diffs) and it has a small hole inside the breather. Luckily for me i bought the BRC quad breather kit and the hoses were NEARLY small enough to fit in them holes, i did shave the ends down so that i could push the hose in about an inch. Now the obvious downfall here is the fact that this isnt the right way to secure them so i had one option and that was to sikaflex them on, so i did and all is good.

And for me the finished product is this
My Hilux Build up
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=8877
jpathy

Return to General Discussion