show us your custom tray mounted camping setup

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Postby blueluxrobbie83 on Wed, 13 Apr 2011 5:03 +0000

how yas garn... i really want to build a tray mounted camping setup, maybe with a roof top tent for my lux, so if uv got a sweet rig and setup would love to see it for some ideas...i have a wellbody tray on at the moment and would also like any pics and designs for a custom tray... cheers
blueluxrobbie83

Re: show us your custom tray mounted camping setup

Postby dave06 on Wed, 13 Apr 2011 5:29 +0000

Hey robbie,

Your gunna spend some time looking at sweet rigs on hear there is a few around :D

Just finished building the back of my ute out. I'm running a standard alloy tray not a custom tray but all works well so far.
Check the pics in my shed save me posting them up on the thread. might give you some ideas.

cheers
dave06

Postby Bushbound on Wed, 13 Apr 2011 5:49 +0000

Mate,
PM me your email as I cant post photo's up here. I've custom built a camper for my xtra cab and its a proven design after many trips in all conditions.

Geoff
Danger is natures way of eliminating stupid people.
Bushbound

Postby Jack S on Wed, 13 Apr 2011 9:38 +0000

Dude my tray/setup isnt for camping, though it may give you some ideas of where to head if your looking at building a custom tray....

Here is my build for you to have a look at, instead of filling your build with my pictures... If wanting more pictures will post on request!

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6765&start=260
Jack S

Postby KTM525EXC on Wed, 13 Apr 2011 10:47 +0000

Have a look at Dutes build his setup is awsome!! :D
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby KTM525EXC on Wed, 13 Apr 2011 10:49 +0000

Here is the link to Dutes build viewtopic.php?t=3444
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby blueluxrobbie83 on Fri, 15 Apr 2011 9:09 +0000

dave06 wrote:Hey robbie,

Your gunna spend some time looking at sweet rigs on hear there is a few around :D

Just finished building the back of my ute out. I'm running a standard alloy tray not a custom tray but all works well so far.
Check the pics in my shed save me posting them up on the thread. might give you some ideas.

cheers

awesome rig dave!.. ur canopy setup is pretty much what i had in my head!... did u build the actual canopy yourself or did u get someone else to build it.. it looks really neat and tidy.. grate work! do u get much dust or weather inside due to the canvas sides at all??.. cheers
blueluxrobbie83

Postby dave06 on Fri, 15 Apr 2011 10:48 +0000

Hey Robbie,

I had the canopy made in Gympie buy Tracwell (http://www.tracwell.com/) Cobbs uphlstery done my vinyl also in Gympie (http://www.cobbscustomcovers.com.au/epages/coco16008.sf). The canopy frame is all aluminum, with ally propeller plate roof (keep the weight down) I had them put a extra roof brace in to suit the bolt down points of my roof top tent.

As for dust it's preety good for vinyl sides, I still get a fine mist in the canopy but as my bed isn't in there it doesn't bother me. I have placed foam under my tray side to stop in coming in through there, which worked a treat. In the future (when i get time) i intend to put a vent on the front so it pressurises & keeps dust out, had this on my last hilux & it worked a treat, held out more dust then my mates flexiglass canopy :o & as for water never had a drop in it from rain or water crossings. obvisously if you come to a stop in a deep water crossing your gunna get water inside the canopy.

If i was to do it again i would think hard on going to full aluminium doors & removing my tray sides more for the easyness & quickness of getting in & out of the canopy, no zippers or stretch ropes etc. But it adds alot of cost & weight but something to think about. hope this info helps

cheers
dave06

Return to Member Build Ups