JAKES Tough Tourer

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: JAKES Tough Tourer - Tray Mods

Postby jakelux on Wed, 22 Jul 2015 12:54 +0000

Me and the Luxy just got back from 2 weeks and 2500 k's in Tassie for a bit of work around the family property.
Bit of damage to the poor girl, ripped the bashplate off on rocks and rolled back into a tree and bent new tail light section of tray.. :cry:
She's in need of a little TLC and a good service :)

Yes that says minus 3 at 7:20 in the morning! :o
jakelux

Re: JAKES Tough Tourer

Postby jaybags on Wed, 22 Jul 2015 5:11 +0000

My mates just come back from there in 3 patrols (one blew his clutch).

Looks freezing! How crazy was the track you were on to rip your bash plate off? :o
Cheers,
Jay

My (super slow) build - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=20120
jaybags

Postby jakelux on Sat, 25 Jul 2015 4:14 +0000

Where did your mates wheel? West Coast?

The track that i pulled the bash plate off is one I've been making for the past 12 months on private property near Swansea (East Coast) Will be a gnarly track when its all cleared... Not sure if my lux will drive it all.. Very very steep, Rocky, short sharp creek crossing... has it all, I'm gonna say it will be one of the Hardest tracks on the East Coast of Tas!! :D :twisted: Amazing camp spot at the top with views over Frecinet peninsula and maria Island
jakelux

Postby jaybags on Mon, 27 Jul 2015 6:39 +0000

Yep, West coast, they tried to do majority of Tas, and wasted a full day looking for the 1000 dollar track they had on 4wd action a little while ago.

That sounds crazy, have to get some footage of it once you've cleared it.. at least getting majority of the way through it. :twisted:
Cheers,
Jay

jaybags

Postby jakelux on Mon, 27 Jul 2015 3:38 +0000

jaybags wrote:Yep, West coast, they tried to do majority of Tas, and wasted a full day looking for the 1000 dollar track they had on 4wd action a little while ago.

Ha Ha.. Well that is probably a good thing from what I've heard about your mates Jay.. :lol: Kidding..
But yeah that track is a bit of a secret local one and its a good thing that 4WD Action didnt give its exact location.

jaybags wrote:
That sounds crazy, have to get some footage of it once you've cleared it.. at least getting majority of the way through it. :twisted:

Will get some photos of e driving it at Christmas! :twisted:
jakelux

Postby jaybags on Tue, 28 Jul 2015 6:36 +0000

jakelux wrote:
jaybags wrote:Yep, West coast, they tried to do majority of Tas, and wasted a full day looking for the 1000 dollar track they had on 4wd action a little while ago.

Ha Ha.. Well that is probably a good thing from what I've heard about your mates Jay.. :lol: Kidding..
But yeah that track is a bit of a secret local one and its a good thing that 4WD Action didnt give its exact location.

Ahahaha, na I think you're right.. one blew his clutch, the others have a quite a bit of panel damage apparently. :lol:

Yeah, they end up saying lot of the locals wouldn't give much info on the tracks either, but wished 'em good luck. The locals need to keep a few things up their sleeves.
Cheers,
Jay

jaybags

Postby dooka85 on Sat, 22 Aug 2015 6:47 +0000

wow spent a long time reading ur build, top job, very jeolous mines a d4dud. keep making shit tho its awesome
dooka85

Postby jakelux on Mon, 24 Aug 2015 3:51 +0000

dooka85 wrote:wow spent a long time reading ur build, top job, very jeolous mines a d4dud. keep making shit tho its awesome

Cheers mate, thanks for spending the time to look through.
She's pretty well done, just maintenance things now... about to tick over 200,000.. :D
jakelux

Postby Milan on Fri, 04 Sep 2015 8:38 +0000

jakelux wrote:Been some serious maintenance/servicing on the lux the last week in prep for a few small and big trips over the summer.
All the usual oil filter, air filter fuel filter.
New Koyo radiator, hoses, clamps... Trying to prevent overheating up the High country like last year :?
New genuine thermostat.
New genuine A/C condensor + full A/C service... man it is nice and crisp now... doesnt smell like stale mud :roll:
New slotted brake discs and pads in the front
New drums, shoes and cylinders in the rear + braided extended brake line.
Wow its great to have brakes again!!

Got a few little canopy and camping mods to do and then she's ready for another round :D

Got 2 little high country trips planned + a 2 week trip down the coast along to Robe SA :D

Hi Jake just reading through your build nice work mate, i noticed you did the A/C condenser.
Whats involved, parts if you remember this is definitely next on my to-do list its giving me some headaches alright :roll:
cheers mate :D
Milan

Postby 1NCH2 on Sat, 10 Oct 2015 9:43 +0000

Hey mate, was searching how to make my leaves flex better and instead spent the last 4 hours skimming through your build. Have to say you have created a capable piece of kit. I was just wondering in regards to a few things, have you resolved the engine light from the long tube headers?
How do you find removing the sway bar now you have done a few decent trips, still think it's worth while?
Any mods that you have done that you would have tackled differently or changed?
Did you get your speedo recalibrated at all or did the diff regear sort it out?
And how do you find your fuel economy now? I often only get 4-500 kms with a bit of low range work with 32s, 3" lift, bullbar and winch plus gear.
If it won't go, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.
ARTE ET MARTE
1NCH2

Postby jakelux on Sun, 11 Oct 2015 4:57 +0000

1NCH2 wrote:Hey mate, was searching how to make my leaves flex better and instead spent the last 4 hours skimming through your build. Have to say you have created a capable piece of kit. I was just wondering in regards to a few things, have you resolved the engine light from the long tube headers?
How do you find removing the sway bar now you have done a few decent trips, still think it's worth while?
Any mods that you have done that you would have tackled differently or changed?
Did you get your speedo recalibrated at all or did the diff regear sort it out?
And how do you find your fuel economy now? I often only get 4-500 kms with a bit of low range work with 32s, 3" lift, bullbar and winch plus gear.

Hey, thanks for reading through.
Havn't resolved the engine light yet but i just clear it with the scan guage, comes back each time i start the car :roll:
Removing the sway bar was fun in low range for a couple weeks but felt to boaty on the highway.. i have it back on now.
A few mods i did i would do differently but nah i pretty happy with it.
The Re-gear fixed the speedo, its only out by a couple of percent now.
Fuel economy is not great.. but i don't mind, it's as reliable as F##k!
jakelux

Postby 1NCH2 on Sun, 11 Oct 2015 7:57 +0000

Sweet as. After I read you removed it i was about to jump on the band wagon as you hadn't mentioned putting it back in so i thought it may not have been as bad as i thought it would have. Glad i waited haha
Just out of curiosity, have you ever had any dramas with your throw out bearing making a squeaking/squealing sound that goes when you depress the clutch?
ARTE ET MARTE
1NCH2

Postby jakelux on Mon, 12 Oct 2015 3:10 +0000

Yes! Bloody thing is squeaking at the moment.. i have lubed it up in the past but as soon as you hit water or mud again it comes back.. :roll:
jakelux

Postby 1NCH2 on Mon, 12 Oct 2015 4:12 +0000

Damn, i was hoping that an aftermarket clutch would have solved the problem. And that toyota just made crap clutches. Apparently a few blokes have had success with installing a speedy sleeve and oversized throw out bearing as the alloy, i guess you could call it a snout?, that the bearing runs on wears away and creates freeplay allowing it to move slightly and sqeak its little heart out. I'm waiting for my clutch to die so i can inspect it further and find a solution.
ARTE ET MARTE
1NCH2

Postby Milan on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 6:25 +0000

1NCH2 wrote:Sweet as. After I read you removed it i was about to jump on the band wagon as you hadn't mentioned putting it back in so i thought it may not have been as bad as i thought it would have. Glad i waited haha
Just out of curiosity, have you ever had any dramas with your throw out bearing making a squeaking/squealing sound that goes when you depress the clutch?

Sorry to butt in, just the way you discribed the squeaking sound that's the way I described mine but someone linked me to a writeup from good old "boxhead". In my case it was the clutch fork pivot point maybe worth a look :)

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=23839&p=376659#p376659
Milan

Postby jakelux on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 2:24 +0000

Milan wrote:
1NCH2 wrote:Sweet as. After I read you removed it i was about to jump on the band wagon as you hadn't mentioned putting it back in so i thought it may not have been as bad as i thought it would have. Glad i waited haha

Sorry to butt in, just the way you discribed the squeaking sound that's the way I described mine but someone linked me to a writeup from good old "boxhead". In my case it was the clutch fork pivot point maybe worth a look :)

http://www.newhilux.net/forum/viewtopic ... 59#p376659

Yeah i have gresed it a few times.. problem is you hit some fast running water or a bog hole and the squeak is back :roll:
jakelux

Postby jakelux on Sun, 20 Mar 2016 6:12 +0000

The 1GR just turned over 200,000 k's :D
In the theme of keeping her ultra reliable I'll be doing Full service and changing out wear and tear items before they fail.
Also re-jigging the RTT setup to make it lighter and easier to take on and off.
jakelux

Postby jakelux on Sun, 20 Mar 2016 6:16 +0000

jakelux

Postby jaybags on Mon, 21 Mar 2016 5:46 +0000

Ha, you're doing good with the K's! I ticked over 200k a bit over a month ago.

What's changing on the RTT?
Cheers,
Jay

jaybags

Postby jakelux on Mon, 21 Mar 2016 2:23 +0000

jaybags wrote:Ha, you're doing good with the K's! I ticked over 200k a bit over a month ago.

What's changing on the RTT?

Ha ha well luckily mine has been a dedicated offroader for the last 5 years so doesn't move during the working week so really low k's for a 2005!
Just a simple steel frame for the rtt, keep it a bit lower than roof and light poly toolboxes underneath... light and low!
New tyres in the next 6 months too! :D
jakelux

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups