Noidea's Hilux ***Up For Sale***

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Noidea's Hilux

Postby Noidea on Tue, 20 Mar 2012 12:29 +0000

Pinion gears stripped......... Ive got some pics ill put up in a minute from my phone as i dont have them here on this computer. Im assured they werent playing round with the lockers or anything but ill be having another chat with the owner this arvo to make sure.
Noidea

Postby Noidea on Tue, 20 Mar 2012 12:52 +0000

So just found out 14 months after buying the gears that lockedup 4x4 arnt going to warrant them. So im at a loss where i go from here. They are not making the nitro gears anymore but have some still in stock.

Rod from VMN (who i bought the original nitro gears from) will give me another set at cost to him but it will be 10 days or so in transit and is still around the $400 mark.

Let alone labour cost and seals/gaskits etc on top of that.

This is getting out of hand :(
Noidea

Postby Noidea on Tue, 20 Mar 2012 12:57 +0000

Some photos from my phone.

Noidea

Postby toddie on Tue, 20 Mar 2012 1:00 +0000

thats no good mate, sorry to hear!!

id be deffently getting onto the tyre shop, dont see how it can just let go as there saying, but i guess you just never kno, pictures will give a good idea on what happened anyways

hopefully you can get it all sorted as cheap as possible

Toddie
toddie

Postby Noidea on Tue, 20 Mar 2012 1:36 +0000

toddie wrote:thats no good mate, sorry to hear!!

id be deffently getting onto the tyre shop, dont see how it can just let go as there saying, but i guess you just never kno, pictures will give a good idea on what happened anyways

hopefully you can get it all sorted as cheap as possible

Toddie

Thanks Tod. I did get some good news just then, my diff guy has just found a set of 4.1 genuine toyota prado gears in his shop in good condition that hes going to give me for 200 buks. Saves me around 200 on the gears and 10 days waiting time for them to ship over from the states.

While everythings apart and on a different note, my axel seals have been leaking for a while now (been through 3 sets in the past year and even had one of my axels straightened as it was bent) im going to get my whole axel housing straightened as it has to be the only thing left to be crooked. So really the only thing to go wrong now is that ill find out that the air locker has been damaged by the bits of teeth floating around in the diff and that it needs replacing.
The rear of my truck hates me :lol:

All of this has come about because of the brake upgrade :lol: it better stop on a dime when this is all done!!
Noidea

Postby Swinny on Tue, 20 Mar 2012 1:43 +0000

dam mate hope you get it sorted.. :(
Swinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Hilux Max on Tue, 20 Mar 2012 2:49 +0000

helmut79 wrote:I would be going back to the tyre shop for some coin, they have insurance policies to cover this kind of thing.

Sounds like they were try to do something to your truck Josh.

Keep us updated on how it goes.

x2......Id be calling consumer affairs and getting advice.....whether they did anything or not it broke when it was under their responsibility.

If it was busted before it got there it would have been making a racket before they drove it onto the hoists......

Tyre shop should be liable.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby ultimate on Tue, 20 Mar 2012 3:28 +0000

Not good mate. :(

I would try and get this sorted out as quickly and as quielty as possible. Bringing in the big guns can make things difficult if your vehicle is illegally modified (e.g. oversized tyres). Work with the mechanic to find a solution. It makes life a lot easier for both parties.
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby Noidea on Tue, 20 Mar 2012 7:29 +0000

Hey guys thanks for your advice but im just going to fix it and be done.

Yes I might be able to get some compensation from the tyre shop if I took them to court but I dont have the time nor the patience and I know im stuck with court costs etc. I know the guy that runs the shop and Ive been told the guy that was driving at the time wasnt playing around (whether he was or he wasnt he isnt going to admit it now is he) and he was being sincere so Im just going cop it on the chin and hope it doesnt happen again. Ide like to think he was professional with his work just like I am and this is just coincidence.

It is hard to grasp how it can just go like that but plenty of people have told me today of their diffs going while just driving normally.

I suppose im a bit of a push over ill admit that but im well known round my area and I like the 'nice guy' rep that I have.

Im looking at about the $800 mark to get it up and running again which isnt to bad at all considering.

Am I being to soft?? What would you guys do if you were in my position?? Im just curious thats all
Noidea

Postby amitch888 on Tue, 20 Mar 2012 7:47 +0000

Noidea wrote:Am I being to soft?? What would you guys do if you were in my position?? Im just curious thats all

If it happened to me at my local tyre or 4x4 shop I'd just fix it and be done, I've got trust in the people I deal with that's why I stick with them.

I'm still curious to why it would happen, as I'm sure you are! Nitro is ment to be the better option over prado for the rear :(
FCCW
Mitch's Build

Education is what you get when you read the fine print, experience is what you get when you don't.
amitch888

Postby tigger on Tue, 20 Mar 2012 8:09 +0000

If there not making the nitro gears anymore doesn't that mean they must of had problems with them to stop?
tigger

Postby NimrodAUS on Wed, 21 Mar 2012 12:13 +0000

tigger wrote:If there not making the nitro gears anymore doesn't that mean they must of had problems with them to stop?

was thinking the exact same thing
NimrodAUS

Postby Rocket55 on Wed, 21 Mar 2012 3:22 +0000

If you trust the guys and don't want a full on blew, then I'd say that I'll do you a favour with the aim of sorting it out quickly and quietly and go 50/50 in the costs. Or you supply the parts and I'll pay for the labour, time off the road, hire car, inconvenience etc. Cheaper than an insurance claim for them.
Cheers Rod
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Bitumen ...... another waste of public funds
Rocket55

Postby Alby on Wed, 21 Mar 2012 3:32 +0000

Not good mate! I was with Mcsummway when his went and he was not doing anything crazy at the time, we were on sand doing less than 50 k/h so they do just go without warning
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby Noidea on Mon, 26 Mar 2012 11:58 +0000

Alby wrote:Not good mate! I was with Mcsummway when his went and he was not doing anything crazy at the time, we were on sand doing less than 50 k/h so they do just go without warning

Yeah looks this has happened with mine to.

Anyway im back on the road now. My diff guy had a genuine prado rear diff with 4.1 gears in good condition he sold me for $220 :D So not only did I not have to pay almost double that for some more nitro gears from the states, I didnt have to wait the 10 or so days in shipping them over here to. Everything went really well and i got away with doing just the diff for about $800.

The prado brakes are on to with my new rims and tyres and to be brutally honest guys........... THEY ARE NOTHING SHORT OF AMAZING. No word of a lie or any exageration!! :o :D I could not lock up my 33's in the wet with my old brakes but now i can get the abs pumping in the dry without even trying. The pedal feel is 10 times better (this probably had something to do with the braided brake lines I put in at the same time as well) but after all the mucking around with trying to find some good rims and locating some tyres then my diff blowing up it was all worth it knowing I can jump on the anchors and my truck will actually stop!

Also I might add and to clarify. Im running 285/70/17 KM2's. On dynamic 17x8 +10 offset rims and and full lock to lock I get zero rubbing anywhere. Yes none :) With a little compression in the front and when the wheels are slightly turned I do rub but on closer inspection its just touching the plastic guard and not the body mount.

Very happy chappy. 8-)
Noidea

Postby Rocket55 on Mon, 26 Mar 2012 12:17 +0000

Great to hear your're back on the road again without the need for huge amounts of cash :D

Sounds like this brake package upgrade has worked wonders, just what our lux's need (should be standard!!), I must admit, I'm starting to get a bit annoyed with the lack of braking performce we have, especially with a bit of weight in it....

Need pics of your bigger wheel / tyre combo mate 8-) 8-)
Cheers Rod
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Bitumen ...... another waste of public funds
Rocket55

Postby Noidea on Mon, 26 Mar 2012 1:18 +0000

Couldn't agree more mate. I've got a few pics on my phone I'll throw up in a minute :grin:
Noidea

Postby Hilux Max on Mon, 26 Mar 2012 1:38 +0000

good stuff mate...got yourself a nice handling package by the sounds of it.

Pics?
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Noidea on Mon, 26 Mar 2012 7:38 +0000

mmaaxx wrote:good stuff mate...got yourself a nice handling package by the sounds of it.

Pics?

Thought i took photos this morning. ill take some in the morning and throw them up
Noidea

Postby RonBacardi8 on Mon, 26 Mar 2012 9:24 +0000

Sounds good mate, you got away so cheap on the diffs I'm too :oops: to say what I paid :oops: :oops:
How much time went into changing the breaks?? I'm starting to think about doing the same to mine as stopping is not one of my lux,s strong points :(
RonBacardi8

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups