Pisso's tourer build up..

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: My first 4WD. 06 Lux tourer build up.. Jack off canopy o

Postby dunno on Mon, 07 Mar 2011 6:44 +0000

hey mate where bouts did you source those jack off legs in brissie
cheers
dunno

Postby pisso01 on Mon, 07 Mar 2011 6:57 +0000

Penguin wrote:Hey Chris,
Any idea how much your canopy weighs
Cheers
Tony

Not really sure mate, not much. 4 of us lifted it onto the tray the first time pretty easy and 2 of the blokes helping me were pins.. My guess around 100kg?

dunno wrote:hey mate where bouts did you source those jack off legs in brissie
cheers

Its Couplemate Trailer Parts.. Here is the link to their jacks - http://www.etrailerparts.com.au/index1.html?c294.html&1 They are made in South Australia somewhere I think so you might get them cheaper if you find a supplier down there.
My touring Lux - viewtopic.php?f=41&t=7795 - Nearly finished
pisso01

Postby Alby on Mon, 07 Mar 2011 7:20 +0000

That looks great Chris, well done.

From personal experience I would make sure those cam over latches are nice and strong. When offroad there is a lot of upward load on them particularly with the leverage the tent etc will put on them, I bolted mine down through the tray with 4 m12 bolts and 50 x 50 plate washers and managed to tear the 6mm aluminium chequeplate floor open in the Simpson desert. Not saying whether they are fine or not but just make sure.

Great setup though, I am sure you will be happy with it
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby pisso01 on Mon, 07 Mar 2011 7:36 +0000

Hmm, I was wondering about it. Judging by your experience I might need to beef them up a bit. I wanted to use bigger bolts but I was restricted by the counter sunk holes in the latches.. Might have to weld the latch body straight to the SHS and modify the hook so it hooks directly under the tray.. Dont really want to be fixing it halfway round our trip..

How did you attach your awning to the canopy? Im finding it a bit of a delema because when the doors are open they are heaps higher than the roof of the canopy.. Would you mind posting a couple picy's of yours when you get a chance?
pisso01

Postby pisso01 on Tue, 12 Apr 2011 7:57 +0000

Well a little update..

Been flat out recently preparing for our trip. We leave in a week and a half. :o

The lux is nearly finished, going to the mechanic tomorrow for a big service. Its getting new clutch, timing belt, water pump and a whole lot more. When I get it back I just have to fit a water tank and a couple other small jobs and its done.. Im having a fair bit of trouble with the tires. The tyre joint cant seem to get them balanced right. Ive been back 4 times now and still getting a studder. Anyone got any advice?

Went shopping at ARB the other day. :D Walked out with a really empty wallet and a canopy full of goodies. Got myself a long range tank, IPF spotties, recovery kit and a few other bits and peices.

Heres a pic. Looked impressive all stacket up..

The canopy still needs a bit of work but im getting through it slowly. Ive got the drop down slide in and a bit of a draw system in one side. I made a table that hooks on the tie rail of the tray a bit like albys. Got all the strip LED lighting in, so its coming along.

Ill get some pics up of it all before we head off.. getting really excited now..

Thanks,

Chris.
pisso01

Postby Jack S on Wed, 13 Apr 2011 4:09 +0000

Looking good man, the pic above with all your recovery gear looks great! Hopefully you wont need to use it too much....

With the balance, try different places, they may not get it spot on, but they will get it close enough! Though i dont see how they cant get it correct, they are only 31"s...
I took mine in the other day for a balance and one of them was out near 100 grams, now thats a shit load for a tyre :shock:
Jack S

Postby kyle300exc on Wed, 13 Apr 2011 5:18 +0000

Hi Chris, doing a great job mate. Have a great trip guys Im so jealous.... :P :P :P

Kyle

Are you taking the lap top so you can keep us up dated??
Kyle

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
kyle300exc

Postby pisso01 on Wed, 13 Apr 2011 8:14 +0000

Jack S wrote:Looking good man, the pic above with all your recovery gear looks great! Hopefully you wont need to use it too much....

With the balance, try different places, they may not get it spot on, but they will get it close enough! Though i dont see how they cant get it correct, they are only 31"s...
I took mine in the other day for a balance and one of them was out near 100 grams, now thats a shit load for a tyre :shock:

Yeah ive been recomended to go to a truck place apparently they have a balancing machine which does it on the car so its more acurate. See how I go..

kyle300exc wrote:Hi Chris, doing a great job mate. Have a great trip guys Im so jealous.... :P :P :P

Kyle

Are you taking the lap top so you can keep us up dated??

Thanks Kyle. Im sure we will have a ball. Cant wait, all this work finally put to use.. Yep we will have the lap top so we will keep you all updated with photos etc..

Thanks,

Chris.
pisso01

Re: Pisso's tourer build up..

Postby pisso01 on Fri, 21 Oct 2011 7:14 +0000

Well its been a while since Ive posted on here. I think its about time for an update. The lux is looking very different to the last lot of pics.

You can see our trip report here http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10120.

I ended up spending the 3 weeks before we left working night and day on the truck getting it ready for the trip. Ended up with a very simple setup in the canopy. Although its basic it ended up working perfectly and I probably wouldn't change much. The only thing I would consider doing different is making the canopy roof lower so its easier for Jen to help me pack the tent up and also more aerodynamic.

The set up looks like this.

I copied Alby's table idea which works a treat! Now that I'm back at work the system still works great. I just pull the camping tubs out and put my tools in their place. The tubs live next to the garage door packed ready for our next camping adventure.

About halfway threw our trip we ended up getting new rear springs. I had medium Tough Dog springs and they were not coping with the 1.9ton :o over the rear axle.. I tossed and turned for a week or so trying to decide if I should get heavier springs or air bags. In the end I rang Brendon from Ultimate Suspension. He recommended I get a set of heavy spring built to suit the weight we were carrying. The new Ultimate springs Brendon sent us completely changed the Lux. The ride was so much better and dust was able to settle on the bump stops for the first time on the trip. The best thing is now with the lux unloaded it still rides the same. Very happy with these springs.

That's about all for now. We have been back from our trip about two months now so slowly adjusting back into work and normal life. Keen for another trip in the near future.

Cheers,

Chris.
pisso01

Postby CJY91LUXXY on Sun, 23 Oct 2011 3:24 +0000

Nice setup dude!
When in fear, Lock, Stomp, And Steer!!

2008 Workmate -Tradie Rig
2007 Sr5-Daily
1989 Extra cab on 1984 Single cab chassis- Project.
CJY91LUXXY

Postby k_san on Sat, 03 Dec 2011 8:41 +0000

Nicely built! Where abouts did you get the tent and awning from? I don't have a canopy on mine, so just looking at the rooftop tent and awning mounted to the top of my cab! Iv a feeling that the cape trip will be so much better camping up off the ground ;)
Cheers

4WD's - Turning round-abouts into over-abouts :)
k_san

Postby pisso01 on Sat, 03 Dec 2011 11:39 +0000

k_san wrote:Nicely built! Where abouts did you get the tent and awning from? I don't have a canopy on mine, so just looking at the rooftop tent and awning mounted to the top of my cab! Iv a feeling that the cape trip will be so much better camping up off the ground ;)

Cheers mate. The tent and awning are a Ebay job. I think I bought this package from these guys:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RT02-RIPSTOP-ROOF-TOP-TENT-TRAILER-ROOFTOP-AWNING-ARB-/110786120846?pt=AU_Tents&hash=item19cb5e0c8e

I pretty happy with it. Pretty much the same as a ARB one only A LOT cheaper. I think they come out of the same factory. We found it pretty good on our trip. It is nice to know you are up high out of the crocs reach. Even though we didn't see one while we were up north.. They are very quick and easy too.

A few new bits on their way. Scottsr20 is making me some of his sway bar links and Ill be getting a dual pillar pod from Monster Rides soon with a few gauges. I'm looking at getting one of these Autron Boost+EGT gauges http://www.extremelimitsoffroad.com.au/prod440.htm They look pretty good but expensive. Has anyone got one of these? Also looking at a Smart Gauge and maybe an Oil pressure gauge to go in the pillar pod too.

Cheers,

Chris.
pisso01

Postby packeteer on Fri, 16 Nov 2012 7:39 +0000

so what locker did u get?
2011 Dual Cab SR5 D4D manual.
build thread
shed page
packeteer

Postby pisso01 on Fri, 16 Nov 2012 8:48 +0000

Jeez Craig making me update my build thread. :lol: :lol:

Ended up with a Lokka from 4WD Systems. So far so good. Dont really notice the difference in normal driving, only had one sideways moment in the rain but I was testing it. ;) Put it in last night. Took a while but there was a bit of head scratching and sleeping on the job as it got later. Finished at 2am this morning.
Keen as mustard to see how it goes offroad. Im a bit worried now Ive got a locker ill have to find harder tracks as the ones I normally do might not be so challenging. See how we go. ;)

In other news. I picked up a bargain set of GU Patrol wheels with pretty much new tires the other day for $120 Ill use these as my road tires and save the KM2's for off road. When they are all worn out ill get some 31" BFG All terrains for the Prado wheels and run a serious off road tire on the Patrol wheels. Not sure on size yet. Probably stick to 32's, 33's might make the gearing too tall.

Matt from Monster Rides dropped me over a transfercase guard as well as an engine plate the other day. Hopefully have these on ready for Newvember as well. Waiting for the hi-clearance front bash plate, then Ill have full protection.

Cheers,

Chris.
pisso01

Postby CJY91LUXXY on Fri, 16 Nov 2012 8:54 +0000

pisso01 wrote:Jeez Craig making me update my build thread. :lol: :lol:

Ended up with a Lokka from 4WD Systems. So far so good. Dont really notice the difference in normal driving, only had one sideways moment in the rain but I was testing it. ;) Put it in last night. Took a while but there was a bit of head scratching and sleeping on the job as it got later. Finished at 2am this morning.
Keen as mustard to see how it goes offroad. Im a bit worried now Ive got a locker ill have to find harder tracks as the ones I normally do might not be so challenging. See how we go. ;)

In other news. I picked up a bargain set of GU Patrol wheels with pretty much new tires the other day for $120 Ill use these as my road tires and save the KM2's for off road. When they are all worn out ill get some 31" BFG All terrains for the Prado wheels and run a serious off road tire on the Patrol wheels. Not sure on size yet. Probably stick to 32's, 33's might make the gearing too tall.

Matt from Monster Rides dropped me over a transfercase guard as well as an engine plate the other day. Hopefully have these on ready for Newvember as well. Waiting for the hi-clearance front bash plate, then Ill have full protection.

Cheers,

Chris.

I have the same Locker and love it, the only Downside is they are a little noisy but well worth it in my opinion. I was amazed first time i went wheeling with it in.
When in fear, Lock, Stomp, And Steer!!

2008 Workmate -Tradie Rig
2007 Sr5-Daily
1989 Extra cab on 1984 Single cab chassis- Project.
CJY91LUXXY

Postby pisso01 on Fri, 16 Nov 2012 8:58 +0000

Yeah im dying to get out on the tracks with it. Missus is complaining because I seem more excited about Newvember than our holiday to Hamilton Island. :roll:
pisso01

Postby packeteer on Fri, 16 Nov 2012 9:01 +0000

hey Chris, I'm keen to see what its like. been raining half the week, so Newvember is gonna be FUN
build thread
shed page
packeteer

Postby pisso01 on Fri, 16 Nov 2012 9:04 +0000

Yeah id be interested to see if there is any difference between yours and mine. As in how they feel to the driver. On the track they should be the same.
pisso01

Postby kranky81 on Sat, 17 Nov 2012 4:19 +0000

Pipe line track won't be the same for you now. You will find that you won't use your winch nowhere near as much now
Cheers Josh
kranky81
Platinum Subscriber

Postby packeteer on Sat, 17 Nov 2012 6:42 +0000

heh, pipeline was still fun even with my locker
build thread
shed page
packeteer

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups