Mitch's build- still keeping the wallet empty...

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Mitch's build

Postby amitch888 on Sat, 30 Apr 2011 6:08 +0000

Well got home from the easter long weekend and noticed a heap of oil sprayed all over the tow bar and everywhere else under the rear of the tray. On a closer look oil was coming from between the diff housings on the rear diff, drained it out and only got just over 2 litres out of the original 3 litres. Decided to check all the bolts around the housing only to find everyone of them loose. Tightened them back up and hopefully it will be right now but i'll keep an eye on it. Utes done about 168,000kms and as far as I know the diff has never been opened up, so why they come loose im not sure....
FCCW
Mitch's Build

Education is what you get when you read the fine print, experience is what you get when you don't.
amitch888

Postby MADDOG on Sat, 30 Apr 2011 6:36 +0000

;)
MADDOG

Postby amitch888 on Sat, 30 Apr 2011 6:51 +0000

FCCW
Mitch's Build

Education is what you get when you read the fine print, experience is what you get when you don't.
amitch888

Postby MADDOG on Sat, 30 Apr 2011 7:00 +0000

No good mate.

After the caning mine endured over the weekend, I was straight out to check the diff. Mines all good, but I feel for ya.
MADDOG

Postby amitch888 on Sat, 30 Apr 2011 7:16 +0000

Yer I think we were all pushing fairly hard, especially that last day heading for home, dont think ive ever pushed it so hard on road :D :D :D Brusa the lucky shit headed straight back on his bike and did the whole round trip on his bike :x :evil: :mrgreen: am jealous :lol:
FCCW
Mitch's Build

amitch888

Postby dute on Sat, 30 Apr 2011 7:39 +0000

amitch888 wrote:Yer I think we were all pushing fairly hard, especially that last day heading for home, dont think ive ever pushed it so hard on road :D :D :D Brusa the lucky shit headed straight back on his bike and did the whole round trip on his bike :x :evil: :mrgreen: am jealous :lol:

He's so lucky as that would have been a great ride . . .
FCCW

inside Dute's black hole

"Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill"
dute

Mitch's build

Postby KTM525EXC on Sat, 30 Apr 2011 8:23 +0000

I'm very envious of that tray Mitch, it's a work of art 8-)
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby MADDOG on Sun, 01 May 2011 5:55 +0000

amitch888 wrote:Yer I think we were all pushing fairly hard, especially that last day heading for home, dont think ive ever pushed it so hard on road :D :D :D Brusa the lucky shit headed straight back on his bike and did the whole round trip on his bike :x :evil: :mrgreen: am jealous :lol:

Yep we all definitely shortened the life of our tyres on the last day. Yeah Brusa sent me a picture from the lookout. I reckon the bike would handle those corners a tad better than a fully loaded hilux. :lol:
MADDOG

Postby dute on Sun, 01 May 2011 7:23 +0000

MADDOG wrote:

Yep we all definitely shortened the life of our tyres on the last day. Yeah Brusa sent me a picture from the lookout. I reckon the bike would handle those corners a tad better than a fully loaded hilux. :lol:

I'm like the rest of you boys . . . My MTZ's copped a thrashing but thats ok I best start looking for a set of 33's ;)
FCCW

inside Dute's black hole

"Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill"
dute

Postby toddie on Sun, 01 May 2011 7:59 +0000

amitch888 wrote:Well got home from the easter long weekend and noticed a heap of oil sprayed all over the tow bar and everywhere else under the rear of the tray. On a closer look oil was coming from between the diff housings on the rear diff, drained it out and only got just over 2 litres out of the original 3 litres. Decided to check all the bolts around the housing only to find everyone of them loose. Tightened them back up and hopefully it will be right now but i'll keep an eye on it. Utes done about 168,000kms and as far as I know the diff has never been opened up, so why they come loose im not sure....

mate i noticed the same problem the day i got back from easter trip also, tightened all bolts but still leaked! gonna have another good look at it today

strange

toddie
ps. that tray is f***king sweet
toddie

Postby amitch888 on Sun, 01 May 2011 8:12 +0000

Thanks Troy, still got a fair few things to go on it yet.

My fully loaded Hilux didn't handle well at all, thought about putting some training wheels on with the amount of body roll it's got :o bring on some new suspension :lol:

Put some 33's on some 17 inch rims Pete and get the prado brakes! Wish I had of taken that path!
FCCW
Mitch's Build

amitch888

Postby amitch888 on Sun, 01 May 2011 8:19 +0000

Thanks Toddie, im hoping that tightening the bolts is enough, wishful thinking maybe :cry: not looking forward to fixing it properly! So no idea on why yours come loose?
FCCW
Mitch's Build

amitch888

Postby brusa on Sun, 01 May 2011 10:17 +0000

Thanks guy's, I am a lucky bugger cos the ride was freekin awesome. 8-) Only issue we had in 1020 kms was 1 dead wallaby after it jumped out of the bush and into the side of my bike between Whitford and Mansfield. :shock: No time to brake, swerve or react at all, bloody lucky tho as it was on a short straight and it jumped straight into my left foot.........Brusa 1, Wallabies 0. :twisted:
FCCW
Brusa.
....the more hair I lose, the more head I get.....
brusa@newhilux.net
brusa

Postby toddie on Mon, 02 May 2011 7:31 +0000

amitch888 wrote:Thanks Toddie, im hoping that tightening the bolts is enough, wishful thinking maybe :cry: not looking forward to fixing it properly! So no idea on why yours come loose?

yeah had a good look yesterday, it seems to be the seal! (also snapped a bolt in the process of tightening up :cry: )
ive just used some gasket oil seal that drys like a rubber seal atm, doing the job fine, will keep an eye on it though! maybe this is the lux telling me to put a rear locker in :D haha

toddie
toddie

Postby amitch888 on Mon, 02 May 2011 8:09 +0000

toddie wrote:maybe this is the lux telling me to put a rear locker in :D haha

toddie

My thoughts exactly :D except I'd like to do ratios aswell which means the front also, all costs to much at the moment.

My diff is still leaking, slower but still there so I'll have to do something about it during the week sometime...
FCCW
Mitch's Build

amitch888

Postby amitch888 on Mon, 02 May 2011 8:32 +0000

Brusa your making me wonder why I ever sold my road bike :cry: :cry: :cry: shut up would ya :lol:

This would be my plan sometime this year, super motard :twisted:

That just gives me a horn! :D
FCCW
Mitch's Build

amitch888

Postby brusa on Mon, 02 May 2011 10:24 +0000

amitch888 wrote:Brusa your making me wonder why I ever sold my road bike :cry: :cry: :cry: shut up would ya :lol:

This would be my plan sometime this year, super motard :twisted:

That just gives me a horn! :D

Mitch, if you rode like that you wouldn't get from Omeo to Falls creek with the same rear tyre :shock: but how much fun would that be! 8-) .....let me know when you want to go and I'll come and help you change it :lol:
FCCW
Brusa.
....the more hair I lose, the more head I get.....
brusa@newhilux.net
brusa

Postby amitch888 on Wed, 04 May 2011 7:17 +0000

Got a few more photos here of my canopy and roof top tent and how they fit to the tray after a couple of questions from a couple of members.

Its all fairly simple and easy, canopy fits to the tray without using bolts to make things easier and that bit faster! Its held on using 4 spring loaded pins which go into the side of the tray. Photo's will explain it a lot better then I can.

Using 4 of these in each corner welded to the canopy

welded on they look like this

The pins slip into the sides of the tray where I have welded some tube with the ends blocked off to keep water and rubbish getting in and rusting, pins are a snug fit to prevent any rattling.

Ive used the same idea on my dog cage to keep it on which worked a treat and only takes a minute to pull off.

Using 4 jacks they will slip into the 4 corners into this box you can see below to raise the canopy and drive off. Plan is to have a set of draws and a false floor so I can leave everything in there while its off the tray. Floor will need small trap doors in each corner so I can still get to the pins.

Roof top tent sits flat on the roof and bolts through the roof onto the frame underneath, and no I havnt cleaned up the small plates or painted them, I was under the pump trying to get all this finished into time for the easter trip and couldnt wait to be on the move! 8-)

It lasted 5 days in the highcountry with the ute bouncing around and nothing fell off :D :lol:

Over the next month or two i'll slowly get my draws done and some sort of camp kitchen done, ive taken a liking to dutes camp kitchen, I did try to grab it when he wasnt looking but never found the perfect oppotunity :lol: next time ;)
FCCW
Mitch's Build

amitch888

Postby Jack S on Wed, 04 May 2011 7:26 +0000

Looking great mitch, the end product is going to be awesome!!
I know you said you have used them pins before but just a head up, don't let too much dirt and grit get into the springs, or let the spring get rusty, try to spray some wd40 every now and again on them. Only reason I am saying this is we have them at work for various applications, and there an absolute bitch to only open if any of that happens. As you probably know already....
Although my work conditions are far worse than yours, so it may be a different story!
Jack S

Postby MADDOG on Wed, 04 May 2011 7:31 +0000

That's a bloody great setup Mitch. I love your work. You have so much room in that canopy too, you just need to replace those saggy rear springs to be able to utilise it. Your not wrong about Pete's kitchen as well, honestly I reckon I could take an idea from every rig that was on the trip.
MADDOG

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups