Courtesy lights in doors

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Courtesy lights in doors

Postby justos on Sun, 05 Sep 2010 9:02 +0000

I notice the other day on a mates navara the courtesy lights he has in his doors, what a good idea hey. you'd think an sr5 would have them by now..

Anyway i thought about it n i pick up some led's from jaycar. Wiring up was pretty easy, used the original switch in the door frame and brought power through the cabin.

Next few days iv got to mount the light, which is gona poke though the bottom off the door and wire though the door... not looking forward to it but should look awsome once im done

ill post up some picks soon, cheers
justos

Re: Courtesy lights in doors

Postby Steve9R on Mon, 06 Sep 2010 6:28 +0000

Sounds good mate.. post up the pics and instructions once you've got it all sorted ...

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby justos on Mon, 06 Sep 2010 9:47 +0000

ok well couldn't get a whole lot done tonight but i wired up the doors and now i just need to fit the lights and connect.

ps: the plastics/covers/door trims are sooooo easy to take off! ive had a ba falcon and a suzuki grand vitara nowhere near this easy.

and getting power through the cabin was easy too. theres a grommet straight ahead from the battery, just ran the wire along the side of the car then through that grommet.

all the threading i did was with the wire you get from old windscreen wipers blades. i always keep them for things like these there so handy!!!!

heres some pics
once through the cabin i split the wire just behind the glove compartment
and ran the wire as high as i could so as not to see it, then down past the cigarette lighter and under the steering wheel but as far back as i could. then down the side.
theres the button in the door frame, and the blue clip is where i made the connection. ran that wire down the b pillar, along the side and then up through to the door.
with the grommet going from the car to the door, take the one off the door NOT the car. its easier that way.
make sure once you've pull the wire through that u go under the window track and zip tie it down to the existing wiring loom. if your wire is in the way of the window when it goes down it leads to big trouble and ripped wires. found that out the hard way when i had the falcon.
this is what im up to at the moment. wires are ready just have to mount the lights and connect. but its gona have to wait till friday.

thanks for looking guys
justos

Postby Bushbound on Tue, 07 Sep 2010 4:47 +0000

Justos,
Great idea and I'll look at doing something similar with mine sometime down the track. I have replaced the globe in the interior light of my xtra cab with a 6 LED replacement unit but would recommend maybe a 12 LED as the 6 is a bit weak.
I see in your photo's you used a 'Scotchlock' to take your feed from the switch. They're quick and easy to use but prone to causing trouble down the track and I wont use them on my vehicle, instead I carefully pare off the insulation of the supply wire for about 10 - 12 mm, strip the end of the wire you want to connect and wrap it tightly round the original wire and solder it. To replace the insulation, I use 'Self Amalgamating Tape' an insulating tape that binds to itself and will give your joint a strong, perminent insulation and not cause any problems long term. Self Amalgamating tape is available from electrical wholesalers, is a bit more expensive than normal insulation tape but well worth carrying a roll in your tool kit.
Geoff
Danger is natures way of eliminating stupid people.
Bushbound

Postby Alby on Tue, 07 Sep 2010 5:12 +0000

Geoff, there is a thread here somewhere with an LED replacement lamp for the courtesy and maplights if you are interested. I know Tunnel rat has them.

Sorry Justos, not wanting to pinch you post but just mentioning as it is related. Looking forward to seeing your lights finished
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby dute on Tue, 07 Sep 2010 5:12 +0000

Boys have a look at this thread :idea:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3651&p=48826&hilit=door+lights#p48826

I did the same to my ute. . . 8-)

Pete. . . .
FCCW

inside Dute's black hole

"Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill"
dute

Postby justos on Wed, 08 Sep 2010 4:27 +0000

all good alby.

dute thanks for that, was think about ideas on how to finish it up. looks good.

bushbound, yeh i was going to do some soldering but wanted to see hows these went b4 i cut anything.

thanks for the input guys...
justos

Postby justos on Tue, 14 Sep 2010 8:05 +0000

trying to find something similar to the lights found from dutes post, iv already got the lights just want to see if i can get a cover for them or somethings.

if anyone has any ideas?

cheers
justos

Postby justos on Mon, 11 Oct 2010 7:19 +0000

for those that have been watching im sorry for the latest reply ever! ive been researching ebay trying to find a light that was water proof small but also bright. the ones off the hilux used by matty_r_1 i couldnt find and there 100 buks from dealer so i found some on ebay and they just arrived today!

really excited except i have to wait for tomorrow or wed maby even thurs b4 i can fit these babies on

thanks for looking

if anyone is interested in the lights...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 801wt_1002
justos

Return to Member Build Ups