Bonnet Struts

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Bonnet Struts

Postby johnsie on Tue, 06 Jul 2010 7:02 +0000

I've just bought an '09 dual cab, trayback Hilux and am slowly doing it up for a trip across Oz from Brisbane to Alice to Kalgoorlie to Perth later on this year. I've done a 50mm lift, installed dual batteries, snorkle, bullbar, Narva driving lights, 80 litre under tray water tank, roof console, Coopers AT tyres on standard rims and have yet to fit the long range fuel tank and winch.

One of things I didn't really like about it was how the bonnet is held open. Being a short guy it was difficult to put the bonnet rod up with the lift kit so I reviewed it on this forum and found out that most people were buying them from overseas. After many phone calls I discovered that no-one really wanted to help me to install bonnet struts, or that they have never done it before and didn't want to do it.

Well I finally found a person who not only wanted to help me, but was so helpful that I created a document on how to install the struts, including photos, and sent it to him. They work perfectly and cost me $165 plus postage of $15 from SA to Brisbane. He sent me photos, told me what to do via email and voice, and was really helpful with a lot of good advice. I ended up changing the design slightly but the overall design was Vic's.

If anyone is interested in purchasing and installing the bonnet struts, I would highly recommend Vic from SA. His web address is http://www.strutmaster.net or you can send him an email to vikk@bigpond.net.au. If anyone wants me to send them some piccies, let me know and I'll forward it to you.
johnsie

Re: Bonnet Struts

Postby Steve9R on Tue, 06 Jul 2010 7:10 +0000

Welcome to the site Johnsie,

We have a lot of members already on here with bonnet struts installed. They are readily available for the Hilux. (And if you're vertically like some of our members, you could always stand on your toolbox ... eh pete! :lol: :lol: )...

Please use the search button to find more information on bonnet struts.

If Vic would like to be a sponsor of the forum, please get him to email dave@4wdnetwork.com to arrange sponsorship and related benefits..

Cheers
Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby johnsie on Tue, 06 Jul 2010 7:43 +0000

Hi Steve. I did do a search but obviously didn't look at the results properly dammit.

This is a great site and I've got some really good ideas from it to help me prepare for the trip. One of the best is standing on the toolbox!! :lol:

Cheers

Steve
johnsie

Postby dute on Tue, 06 Jul 2010 9:50 +0000

I know it's to late but . . . . . http://shop.ebay.com.au/?_from=R40&_trk ... Categories

Also your local carryboy retailer as thats where I got mine from. . .

PS: Steve cheap shots at people Mmmm way to go . . . . new mod and all. . . . good start . . . :lol:
FCCW

inside Dute's black hole

"Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill"
dute

Postby Steve9R on Wed, 07 Jul 2010 6:55 +0000

dute wrote:PS: Steve cheap shots at people Mmmm way to go . . . . new mod and all. . . . good start . . . :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: all in fun Pete.. as i said.. not much will change ! ;)

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby noodle on Wed, 07 Jul 2010 9:13 +0000

Those that do have these struts already installed, have you found any strucural problems with them?
I am also curious if the struts are a hinder when trying to do anywork over the guards, for example, air filter change outs, dual battery setups etc.

I like the idea of bonnet struts, but I'm not sure if they make life easier to work in and around the engine bay or not.

Al
Al
07 D4D D/Cab Manual

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
noodle

Postby Steve9R on Wed, 07 Jul 2010 11:39 +0000

the only thing i remember noodle about them is that they were hindering people from trying to mount compressors etc close to the firewall as the struts have brackets that fold over the edge... if that makes sense.. maybe one of the guys with them could take a pic to explain..

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby johnsie on Thu, 08 Jul 2010 8:22 +0000

Al, there aren't any structural problems with them but if you want to remove the second battery then you need to remove the left hand strut. This is easily done by the removal of the small pin and literally only takes a few seconds. Naturally you would have to put the bonnet rod up first.

It doesn't interfere with the air filter at all.

Can someone explain to me how to post a picture?? A picture is worth a thousand words and I have several pictures of the installation which may assist.

Steve
johnsie

Postby MADDOG on Thu, 08 Jul 2010 8:53 +0000

johnsie, follow the link. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4397
MADDOG

Postby jap on Thu, 08 Jul 2010 9:21 +0000

I'm interested in doing this on the red rocket
The Quickest TRD Hilux in Australia - 13.690 @ 100.56mph
True Bolt-On Power, Performance & Reliability

Traded for:

BT50 D/C 3.2l Auto - TJM Deluxe Bullbar - TJM Rear Step - TJM Canopy - Airtec Snorkel
jap

Postby johnsie on Thu, 08 Jul 2010 6:07 +0000

a photo of the small quick release pin for the bonnet struts. Makes it easy to take them off if work is required around them.

johnsie

Postby noodle on Thu, 15 Jul 2010 8:08 +0000

Thanks for that guys, I'm putting this high on my to do list, esp now that the pins release easily.
If I had to muck around for 1/2 just to get one off, then I wouldn't bother... but this looks good

Cheers for your feedback

Al
Al
07 D4D D/Cab Manual

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
noodle

Return to Member Build Ups