Grunter's SR5 - Canning prep - build stage 3

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Grunter's SR5 - Canning prep - build stage 3

Postby gruntre69 on Sat, 14 Apr 2012 10:34 +0000

They won't yake a roof load, I want to carry gear on the roof rack.
Cheers

Grunter
http://gatorz.com.au/
If it's in the way...... use it for traction!
My build thread
gruntre69

Postby Qwerty on Sat, 14 Apr 2012 11:14 +0000

Ahh ok I carry max trax and a 25kg table on mine , and few other things like swags or surfboards possible , but yeah nothing much more which is ok for me I don't want any more heavy weight up that high (for me anyway) both in payload but also weight of canopy itself

Could use main roof rails for weight bearing? Though with extra cab you're probably dealing with different dynamics ?
Qwerty

Postby Qwerty on Sat, 14 Apr 2012 11:27 +0000

I can't find any info on the weight limits for the flexisport online
Qwerty

Postby gruntre69 on Sun, 15 Apr 2012 7:54 +0000

I had a look at them at the showroom in Malaga. It's something like 25KG. I was able to deflect the roof by reaching uo and pushing down with my hand. The are also slightly smaller. Not really what I'm after mate but glad you are happy with yours.
Cheers

Grunter
My build thread
gruntre69

Postby Qwerty on Sun, 15 Apr 2012 10:39 +0000

Roger roger
Qwerty

Postby packeteer on Sun, 15 Apr 2012 12:48 +0000

fyi, the tailgate dust sealing is non-existent!

ie. you'll want to fix that before heading out
2011 Dual Cab SR5 D4D manual.
build thread
shed page
packeteer

Postby Qwerty on Sun, 15 Apr 2012 1:11 +0000

On what canopy packeteer? Mine is perfect but the tailgate itself is the pain (Toyota tailgate.) have sealed my tailgate with some
Rubber but still
Not perfect
Qwerty

Postby gruntre69 on Sun, 15 Apr 2012 5:12 +0000

packeteer wrote:fyi, the tailgate dust sealing is non-existent!

ie. you'll want to fix that before heading out

Which canopy?

I've already done the crappy Toyota Tailgate, best I could....

Edit: Just looked in Packeteer's shed. Looks like no canopy....
Cheers

Grunter
My build thread
gruntre69

Postby gruntre69 on Sat, 21 Apr 2012 5:37 +0000

OK, decided on the canopy and have ordered it.

So here's my list of items I have on the way:
- Camburg UCA (ball joint type) and a diff drop kit (This will allow me hopefully to crank my Cal offroad Bilstiens up to the top groove and give me that bit of extra clearance for the lower fuel tank... and hopefully some caster to steer nicely)
- 150L long range tank
- Caddy canopy
- Rino welded roof rack to suit
- Rino hilift, shovel and spare wheel mounts

The last piece of the puzzle will be the rear springs which I'll wait until the front is sorted then get them matched.
Cheers

Grunter
My build thread
gruntre69

Postby packeteer on Sat, 21 Apr 2012 6:57 +0000

Qwerty wrote:On what canopy packeteer? Mine is perfect but the tailgate itself is the pain (Toyota tailgate.) have sealed my tailgate with some rubber but still not perfect

sorry for the late reply, I was referring to what everybody seems to have already fixed :)
build thread
shed page
packeteer

Postby Bushbound on Sun, 22 Apr 2012 10:51 +0000

gruntre69 wrote:The last piece of the puzzle will be the rear springs which I'll wait until the front is sorted then get them matched.

I have CalOffroad suspension front and rear, just told Cal what ride height I wanted and what load I carried, he did the calculations and supplied the correct springs. I have found it to be slightly oversprung when empty and just slightly unsersprung when fully loaded, so is pretty close to the perfect all round set up for me.
gruntre69 wrote:Camburg UCA (ball joint type) and a diff drop kit (This will allow me hopefully to crank my Cal offroad Bilstiens up to the top groove and give me that bit of extra clearance for the lower fuel tank... and hopefully some caster to steer nicely)

I'm interested to hear how this works as I am considering the same set up, for the same reasons.
Geoff
Danger is natures way of eliminating stupid people.
Bushbound

Postby darmo on Sun, 13 May 2012 8:54 +0000

Hi there mate,
Which tigerz 11 winch did you go? Do you reckon I could install one without removing the bar off my truck?

Cheers darmo.

gruntre69 wrote:Well I think I'm going to end up spending a fair bit of my hard earned on this Hilux so I've decided to document it for 2 reasons. 1: because this is a handy place to keep track of it. And 2: and more important, I'm really glad I discovered this forum and the wealth of info on here before I started. I'll be glad to share any little discoveries I make along the way to save some of you blokes some time.

I fitted my new ARB delude bar and Tigerz11 winch a couple of weekends ago and I thought I'd get some pics up now to show how I fitted the control Box.

Everything I needed was in the winch and bar kits, right down to the relay harness for the indicators which weren't needed because my Ute has the extra relay harness for the factory tow bar already. I'll find a use for those relays later I'm sure.

ARB also supplies 3 x 800mm battery cables which weren't required because the winch also comes with cables. These will come in handy for my second battery install coming soon.

I managed to get it inside the bar out of the weather, although it was very tight with one of the captive nuts that pre-locates the bar for flexible adjustment prior to drilling and fitting the main bar mounting bolts to the crush can frame(edit) The bolt that goes here also needed to have about 10mm cut off it so it didn't protrude through the captive nut into the control box.
Mounting the control box this way also sacrifices one of the holes for fixing the polyurethane bump pads. This can easily be drilled out from the underside to clear the cap screws and stuck down with a dob of silicone. I used the cap screws supplied with the winch to screw on the control box and I had to carefully mark and drill the 4 holes in the top of the freshly painted bar. I just drilled the holes 8mm for the 6mm screws to allow for slight errors in the drill pattern. I was too lazy to make a cardboard drilling template but it worked out sweet just measuring with a rule and square. (Recommend the template).

Winch mounted

Control box (just enough space for crush can captive nut)
Top view

I ran the small Earth for the control pack back to my cab and earthed it via a switch on the right below the steering wheel. I didn't really like the idea of leaving it all powered up because the weather proofing on the solenoid box doesn't look that great to me, even though I installed it inside the bar.

It’s not quite finished yet because I want to add a stud or something in the recess for the fairlead to hook the eye of the end of the winch rope to, which will keep it up out of the way and stop it from scratching up that polished hawser and eventually damaging the rope. I will leave the hook off and will use it if I need to during a recovery, I’ll probably just use D shackles anyway.

Next will be a cover for the top of the bar where all the holes are for the ARB/Warn control mount and the drum inspection slot. My skydiving background gives me knowledge on Nylon fibres and Sunlight and UV exposure severely degrades nylon and spectra fibres(correction - Spectra is way more UV resistant than Nylon). I will make up a quickly removable cover plate for these holes which will also tidy up the appearance of the entire bar.

I also wouldn’t mind somehow figuring out a way to lock the freewheel gear lever on the winch in case someone decides they like my $250 rope more than I do.

Coming soon the install of my ARB on board Air which was given to me for my birthday along with the dig options unit my awesome chick. (Thanks Babe)

I’ve already fitted the Dig options unit but there is no need to go into that as it’s already been well covered and is very straight forward. I will show a picture of the rear view camera mount though when I finish it because I plan to drill a 25mm hole straight through the top centre of the number plate and that’s a bit different.
darmo

Postby gruntre69 on Mon, 14 May 2012 9:04 +0000

I went for the 12000 unit.

You will need to take the bar off..
Cheers

Grunter
My build thread
gruntre69

Postby gruntre69 on Tue, 22 May 2012 4:29 +0000

Canopy and Rino Rack on! Very happy with this canopy, we'll see how well it stands up to punishment soon enough... :D
Fuel tank arrived and going in over the next few days....

I think I'm going to run a false floor and a centre sliding draw setup. Not the expensive draws, just some arrangement for plastic tubs to slide under the floor. Should do the trick without taking a second mortgage to pay for it!
Cheers

Grunter
My build thread
gruntre69

Postby packeteer on Tue, 22 May 2012 5:29 +0000

fwiw, I like the Drifta range of drawers. Although, it's gonna cost me around $1500 for what I want (drawer, kitchen unit and pull out table).Still cheaper than the other brands

edit: sorry for sounding like an advertisement, but I'm really sold on Luke's drawers :)
build thread
shed page
packeteer

Postby gruntre69 on Wed, 30 May 2012 4:35 +0000

OK the Outback accessories fuel tank is in. Took about 6 hrs in my driveway to fit it. They're dead on with the rated capacity and I filled it with 10l from a can and they used about a liter and filled it at the servo and it took 144l. So it is 153l capacity.

I'm pretty happy with how this tank went in and the clearance loss it very acceptable. I was thinking it would be much worse. I needed to pay a lot of attention to securing fuel lines and wiring harnesses because the old OE tank had mountings for all this incorporated and the OA tank has none. So I now have 193 liters with 2 jerries and am dead keen to finish the well fitout and go for a couple of dry runs to test the loaded finished product.....

Bring on July and the Canning! :P
Cheers

Grunter
My build thread
gruntre69

Postby Jeeves on Sat, 01 Dec 2012 10:20 +0000

Hey Grunter,
Love the build, love the avatar!!! Were did you end up getting your Camburg's from? Do you have a model number? Are they the same ones that go on the +05 tacoma's?

Tane
Jeeves

Postby randomrizzla on Tue, 29 Apr 2014 6:45 +0000

Hey Grunter, liking your setup there mate. Looks the goods! I'm just trying to put in my on board compressor and was keen to know how you did yours. Did you have to take off the quarter panel to bolt the plate in or can you access through the wheel arch from underneath?

Cheers mate!

Ryley
randomrizzla

Postby gruntre69 on Thu, 21 Jan 2016 9:34 +0000

I'm not sure if I mentioned this earlier in the thread but probably not so I'll enter it for the sake of completion and because the Lux is now fore sale and this thread is a reference.

I decided before the CSR trip to install a monster rides diff lowering kit. This was install along with the MR bash plate that is needed under the lowered diff. This was the final stroke to deliver a totally reliable and capable package and the CRS trip was dead easy for this Hilux. If anything I was slightly disappointed in the CSR because it was not even slightly challenging for the vehicle.
Cheers

Grunter
My build thread
gruntre69

Previous

Return to Member Build Ups