Whitey's Lux

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Whitey's Lux

Postby whitey89 on Fri, 18 Dec 2009 4:45 +0000

Hey guys n gals

Thought I'd start a little thread, pretty much just to show it off. 09 Dual Cab SR5 in Silver.

It's going to be set up as a capable off-roader for every weekend I can get away on (which is most) but something that will also eat through some miles for the bigger tours I have in mind, CSR, Simpson - you get the idea :D

I picked her up Tuesday before last and have so far put 1500kms on her. All I can say is it's fantastic to drive. It's my first 4wd, but I've been 4wding and camping with family all my life (all 20 years of it). I took her to Mt Mee and Glasshouse on the wkend just gone and found some pretty good tracks and most of all had a blast.

So enough about that. Here she is the day I picked her up.

Then on Friday the BFG A/T 31x10.5x15s went on

On Monday it went into ARB for Snorkel, Canopy, Dual Battery System, Fridge, Compressor and roof racks. I got the square bar roof racks but it turns out they're noisy at 70kmh, let alone highway speeds so they've taken them back for me and I should get the aero set early next week, just before xmas. Still waiting on the bullbar to arrive in early January and when it does, the uhf (GME 3340) and spotties (IPF 900XS) will also go on. After realising that it doesn't actually come with any recovery hooks on the rear, nor could I use the towbar as I didn't have one. I bit the money bullet again and ordered an ARB rear step towbar that should be arriving about the same time as the bullbar.

They couldn't fit the compressor underneath the bonnet with the snorkel and the DBS in there as well, so they put some extra wire through to the tub, leaving some excess for me to mount the compressor up on the drawers when they arrive.

Drawers will go in mid january (hopefully before the ausday weekend down at Coffs) so I'll be all set up for camping.

Here's a couple more pics of her:

The battery's a big bugger, 155minute reserve capacity running 25amps, which should do the job quite nicely

My Dustproofing. I've got a bit of silicone lying around so I'll also plug up the drainholes at the front of the tub. Will also take the left over foam and silicone when it hits the dirt to find the extra places that are letting in the most dirt ;) I don't reckon you'll ever get it dust 'proof'.

The extra bits of wire to hook the fridge and compressor up when the drawers arrive

About mid next year I'll be looking for a suspension upgrade with heavier duty leaves and springs and lift to get her running level and some more clearance.

Also going to get a FUG and TUG for extra protection - I'm thinking the TJM route as many people here use them so I'm thinking they must be strong and do their job?, but that will wait until I get the bullbar...and more money. I'll also get some sliders made up, or some steps from ARB once these have got a couple of scars and dents on them. Then on with the lockers.

Also going to get a Long Ranger Fuel tank to save me carrying jerries, a water tank and possibly a winch for an 'oh crap' moment.

That's it for now, I'll be sure to update this thread as the various bits go on, I hope you enjoyed reading :D

*Edited battery rating - if you know the formula to convert RC to Ah I'd be interested ;)
Last edited by whitey89 on Mon, 21 Dec 2009 6:38 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
whitey89

Re: Whitey's Lux

Postby rodw on Fri, 18 Dec 2009 5:04 +0000

Loking Good whitey. I forgot how clean a new can can be!
rodw

Postby Quinny34 on Fri, 18 Dec 2009 5:47 +0000

Loking Good whitey. I forgot how clean a new can can be!

X2... You need some spray on Mud... happy to supply samples.. :D

Nice rig though...
FCCW
Application for G##C membership REVOKED
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby PluckA76 on Fri, 18 Dec 2009 7:26 +0000

Hey whitey,

I like the colour I've done about much as you with the upgrades but when a high grain canopy. I've been waiting since the end of october for my rear step bar and bullbar from ARB. What a mission its been, I ordered everything the 27th of october got my snorkel and canopy fittede mid nov was told the bars would arrive on the 18th of Nov and here we are the 18 December. Latest is it was meant to be painted in Brisbane yesterday. Reason why I didn't get them sooner was it hadn't been allocated to me.

I'm not sure how that works, I make the order I expect it to be allocated to me. I've been in 3 times chasing it down. Last time I went in the sales guy says lucky you came in today or you wouldn't have gotten it until next year (they hadn't allocated it to me). They can paint the rear bar which is in Melbourne if you want but it can be up to 1.5 out on the colour coding and they can paint the deluxe BB in brisbane. I said just paint the 2 together.

It only took Toyota 2 months to build my car and prob another month between travel to the dealership.

ARB make excellent stuff but shit I don't know what the go is in getting stuff here in QLD. I hear people down south get stuff in 2 to 3 weeks. They prob steal orders from the northern states :o).

I'll jump off my soap box now. Just bloody frustrated .
HE WHO DIES WITH MOST TOYS WINS
PluckA76

Postby Alby on Fri, 18 Dec 2009 7:56 +0000

rodw wrote:Loking Good whitey. I forgot how clean a new can can be!

Funny that was the first think I thought of when I saw the pics ' look how clean and shiny it looks' :lol: Good that you got some pics that way because after a couple of trips it will never look that way again, but there is nothing wrong with adding a bit of 'character' to your lux. get some real stuff though not that fake spray on stuff that Quinny uses :lol: :lol:

Congratulations Whitey, you have lined yourself up with some nice mods too. I am sure that it will bring you a lot of pleasure.
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby H20PRF on Fri, 18 Dec 2009 7:33 +0000

Nice one mate

All you need now is a Ultimate Smart Lift and your laughing !

Well Done

Cheers

Daz
H20PRF

Postby MADDOG on Sat, 19 Dec 2009 9:01 +0000

Looking good Whitey. You'll have those side steps looking like bananas in no time.

Cheers

Joel
MADDOG

Postby RokitRyder on Sat, 19 Dec 2009 10:39 +0000

MADDOG wrote:Looking good Whitey. You'll have those side steps looking like bananas in no time.

Cheers

Joel

yeah and some nice racing stripes down the side! ;)
WHEN YOU BUY A NISSAN THERES SOMTHIN MISSAN
RokitRyder

Postby Triggy03 on Sat, 19 Dec 2009 7:52 +0000

Whitey, Can I ask what sort of deal you got with changing over to your Goodrich's. ( assuming you you traded in your stock tyres or have you hung onto them?)
" Normal people worry me "
Triggy03

Postby rockman on Sat, 19 Dec 2009 8:09 +0000

In time , check your side windows on your canopy ..............ARB's side windows have a problem with wanting to fall out :shock: , something to do with the sh1t glue that they stuck them in with .
ARB know's about it and will normally exchange for the slide windows . :roll:

Nice looking outfit by the way .

Cheers
"Naked man walking through airport door sideways is going to Bangkok."
rockman

Postby whitey89 on Sun, 20 Dec 2009 2:03 +0000

PluckA76 wrote:Hey whitey,

I like the colour I've done about much as you with the upgrades but when a high grain canopy. I've been waiting since the end of october for my rear step bar and bullbar from ARB. What a mission its been, I ordered everything the 27th of october got my snorkel and canopy fittede mid nov was told the bars would arrive on the 18th of Nov and here we are the 18 December. Latest is it was meant to be painted in Brisbane yesterday. Reason why I didn't get them sooner was it hadn't been allocated to me.

I'm not sure how that works, I make the order I expect it to be allocated to me. I've been in 3 times chasing it down. Last time I went in the sales guy says lucky you came in today or you wouldn't have gotten it until next year (they hadn't allocated it to me). They can paint the rear bar which is in Melbourne if you want but it can be up to 1.5 out on the colour coding and they can paint the deluxe BB in brisbane. I said just paint the 2 together.

It only took Toyota 2 months to build my car and prob another month between travel to the dealership.

ARB make excellent stuff but shit I don't know what the go is in getting stuff here in QLD. I hear people down south get stuff in 2 to 3 weeks. They prob steal orders from the northern states :o).

I'll jump off my soap box now. Just bloody frustrated .

That's a shame about that mate - I went ARB also because I reckon they're quality is great, I hope I don't have the same issues.

Thanks Rod and Quinny. Went out to Mt Mee again but found some better trails, unfortunately RokitRyder I think you jinxed me. Hit a branch to get my wheels in the right track out there, all the way from the headlight to the tail-light hitting the bonnet and everything; pics to come when I get a chance to upload them. 4.5hrs of polishing later I got the bastard out - Repo Carnuba wax is amazing, I think the wax I had on it also saved me a little bit. Also got me thinking about getting some brushbars when I get the sidesteps.

What other recommendations do you reckon would help on keeping the buggers out, so they can be polished out?

rockman wrote:In time , check your side windows on your canopy ..............ARB's side windows have a problem with wanting to fall out :shock: , something to do with the sh1t glue that they stuck them in with .
ARB know's about it and will normally exchange for the slide windows . :roll:

Nice looking outfit by the way .

Cheers

Cheers rockman, will definitely keep it in mind!

Triggy03 wrote:Whitey, Can I ask what sort of deal you got with changing over to your Goodrich's. ( assuming you you traded in your stock tyres or have you hung onto them?)

I got them for $260ea from jaxquickfit including labour to fit them all (5) so I was pretty happy - but they didn't trade the stock tyres - which didn't really worry me, I got the tyre I wanted :D. It's probably still up there $-wise but family has always run bfg's and always been really happy with them - also don't like the look of coopers and haven't ever tried Mickey T's, the Mickey T's I may try in the future. In an ideal world I'd have a second set of rims with some M/Ts on them - we'll see how it pans out ;)

Alby wrote:Congratulations Whitey, you have lined yourself up with some nice mods too. I am sure that it will bring you a lot of pleasure.

Thanks Alby - definitely looking forward to getting to use it over the xmas break :twisted:

H20PRF wrote:Nice one mate

All you need now is a Ultimate Smart Lift and your laughing !

Daz

Didn't know about them, thanks for that. It's a toss-up between OME, EFS and now I'll have to look into Ultimate as well.
whitey89

Postby RokitRyder on Sun, 20 Dec 2009 6:54 +0000

yeah sorry mate didnt mean to jinx you!! but if she is going to be used properly then it's to be expected i suppose, just think yourself lucky you don't have a black one like me and a few of the boys here!!! :)
WHEN YOU BUY A NISSAN THERES SOMTHIN MISSAN
RokitRyder

Postby whitey89 on Sun, 03 Jan 2010 11:09 +0000

Over xmas I went out to Warwick with family and camped to find things out that I'd forgotten and need in the future, which way to pack is best - basically just a trial run of everything. Unfortunately the roof racks hadn't arrived yet so I had to use anther car to take the oztent up.

It rained. It rained from waking up at 4am Boxing day, to arriving about 10am at the campsite, all the way through to Monday where it gave us a break for maybe an hour, then the rain/spitting continued until Tuesday when I go sick of getting wet all day and came home.

The campsite

The black-mud hill and my thoughts of, 'yeah, she'll be right'

No Further

Still waiting on Bullbar, racks, rear step towbar - if the bullbar and rearstep towbar don't arrive before coffs I'll have to bail as I'll have no recovery points. Here's to hoping :?
whitey89

Postby Diegothecat on Wed, 06 Jan 2010 1:42 +0000

you did what i thought of, camping at warwick that is, but it got turned off by the relentless rain, good thing too by the sounds of things.'

Looks like the All Terain tyres just didnt cope too well in the mud but i bet it was fun none the less.

where did you go in warwick? I was thinkin of goin to the Springs 4x4 park. I just couldnt get tyres in time oh well next time.
Speed Safely
Diegothecat

Postby whitey89 on Wed, 06 Jan 2010 2:41 +0000

Went out to Gordon Country, just before Goomburra. I've been going there since I was 8 weeks old, only the second time with my own gear though :D I thought about packing the sides for the awning and well...hindsight's 20/20 :lol:

Max put a link on 'Ebay finds' about some more sr5 alloys, definitely tempting for a second set of wheels (with muddies. Just need more money, and space in the garage :(

When you get the new tyres we should do a weekend run out there as I haven't been before?
whitey89

Postby Diegothecat on Wed, 06 Jan 2010 2:48 +0000

yea or even a quick trip to the glasshouse mt's

iv been keen to go back up there for a while just need the new rubber.

Ill keep you in mind next time i think about goin?? Is always better when you have some one to pull you out when you get into trouble. :lol: :lol:

Ben
Speed Safely
Diegothecat

Postby whitey89 on Wed, 06 Jan 2010 3:12 +0000

Yeah mate sounds like a plan. Not into the panel damaging stuff or getting soggy carpet if I get bogged but apart from that I'll give it a go :)
whitey89

Postby Diegothecat on Wed, 06 Jan 2010 3:44 +0000

that makes 2 of us. I dont think you'll find anyone on this site that is into hurting there new lux
Speed Safely
Diegothecat

Postby whitey89 on Mon, 11 Jan 2010 6:31 +0000

I thought I'd take some measurements at this point so that when I get the rest of the accessories (bullbar, rear bar, winch and suspension lift), fully loaded for camping etc I have a base line that I can refer to of, 'way back when'.

So at the moment I have 2500kms on the clock, DBS, Fridge, Compressor, Snorkel and Canopy on board. The bullbar, spotties and UHF go on tomorrow so I'll be able to see what kind of a difference that makes to it.

So the figures:

Front Passenger
Base of rim to arch: 690mm
Ground to base of bumper: 365mm
Ground to base of step: 325mm

Rear Passenger
Rim to arch: 765mm

Front Driver
Rim to arch: 700mm
Ground to base of bumper: 375
Ground to base of step: 335

Rear Driver
Rim to arch: 765
whitey89

Postby whitey89 on Fri, 05 Feb 2010 4:39 +0000

A quick update!

This is the new bashplate made by Budscustoms - I'll get the final product next week :D

I also removed that damn ignition key beeper and on the weekend I'll also do the seatbelt one. Stupid beeping. Like the lights, they could have just as easily wired it so the lights turn off when you open the door with the keys out of the ignition, you know, like a $15000 rio has but no no...lets have it make a noise.

The two itsy bitsy wires that caused all the irritation

Just before the coffs trip I got roof racks to carry the oztent. I initially had the tradie ones with the hollow running the entire way along the rack, but at 70 clicks it was quite noisy, even louder at 100 so they very kindly swapped them over to the aero ones which I find really quiet

And the Coffs harbour trip

The (compared to the rest) low-slung sports car :)
whitey89

Next

Return to Member Build Ups