Murf's Hilux- Has gone to new owner!!

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Murf's 06 Hilux- Now sold!! Hunting for new V6 SR5.

Postby murf6 on Fri, 29 Oct 2010 7:00 +0000

Well the Hilux has been sold. New owner picking it up in a few days.

So now the hunt is on for a replacement. This time a V6 SR5 will be my choice.

I did like the diesel, but I have always been a petrol fan. I do have to admit the thought of spending thousands of dollars if a small amount of water got into my fuel system was enough to sway me into a change. I don't do a heap of k's each year so the bit more fuel usage from the V6 wont be an issue.

So enough about the past, now for the future plan:

Hoping to find a V6 05-06 model for decent price in either black or white, leaving me a bit of cash to make a few changes. Leaning toward black this time. Looking at doing:

1) - body lift (will only do if I can get tassie transport approved) (not sure if there has been one approved in tas yet, rodw you might have some idea on that one)
2) - Suspension
3) - Still deciding on 265's or 285's (will be MTZ again)
4) - Either Allied Tomahawk 16 x 8 or, Mickey Thompson Torque 16 x 8 (any thoughts?????)
5) - Snorkel
6) - And the jury is still out on possibly putting a tray on this one (just a bit better for dirt bike, mountain bike etc)
7) - Front bar

Im sure there will be more added to the list, but this is a pretty good start.

Definitely look at getting the body lift approved as first point of call.

But before any of that can commence I need to find a ute first. Anyone know of something around?

CHEERS MURF
2014 SR5, 2.5 lift, BFG 33's, with a few ARB bits and pieces.
murf6

Re: Murf's Hilux- New lux found. New project begins!!!

Postby murf6 on Sun, 28 Nov 2010 5:40 +0000

Well the hunt has finished and I picked up my new lux a couple of days ago. I ended up with an 07 V6 manual in black. At the moment stock standard besides a factory hardcover and tinted windows.

So now the new project begins. First item on this one will be to try and get a bodylift approved here in Tas. I will be submitting the paperwork asap, and hopefully get approval, and installed before Christmas.

After that wheels, suspension, snorkel, front bar, and possibly a custom tray (still deciding on that one)

At the moment I am looking at fitting M/T "Torque" 16x8 alloys. I have seen a couple of black utes with them fitted, and have been impressed with how they look on a black car. Any thoughts??? If not and depending on price, I don't mind a few of the wheels Monster Rides are looking to import as well, so decisions decisions.......

I will throw a couple of pics up when I get a chance......

So now to get some paperwork submitted for my body lift application. I think I might need a bit of help from the experts on this one. Mmaxx and Rod will be the ones for this I would think...

cheers murf
murf6

Re: Murf's Hilux- New lux found. New project begins!!!

Postby Sr5luxy on Sun, 28 Nov 2010 8:27 +0000

looking forward to the pics mate, go the 285's :D should be a pretty tuff lux when ur finished.
Sr5luxy

Re: Murf's Hilux- New lux. New mods, New pics!!!

Postby murf6 on Sat, 19 Feb 2011 5:36 +0000

Well it has been a while so I thought I better pots a few photos of the new ute.

When I brought the hilux, it was pretty much stock standard. Over the last few weeks I have added the following:
Rhino Racks - powder coated gloss black
Ironman Snorkel
Ironman 3 inch suspension lift
Ironman deluxe steel front bar
ARB rear bar
16x8 Mickey Thompson “Torque” wheels
265x75x16 MTZ

I had a number of Ironman products on my last hilux and was more than happy with them, so went that way again. Also buying a number of items I got a great discount.

I got the deluxe front bar for only $950. I thought that was excellent buying. The wiring loom etc that came with the bar for the light was great quality. It even had matching Toyota switch gear. Also the deluxe bar now comes with splash plates and bash plate.

Also because I brought the bar and suspension from the same place, I also managed to swing a full 3 inch suspension kit for only $895.

I also managed to grab a rear ARB bar that a different outlet had sitting in stock that they couldn’t shift for $750 including a wiring loom. I couldn’t even buy a standard Toyota towbar for that price.
So all in all I am pretty happy with the result so far.

I decided to stick with the 265’s as I think the extra size of a 33 with hurt the old clutch a bit too much.
Next on the list will be to get the sports bar power coated gloss black, and also add a set of driving lights.
Hope you guys enjoy the pics. I fitted the front bar, and snorkel myself so if you have any questions feel free to fire away.......

Cheers
Murf

On day of pick up

How it looks now
murf6

Postby helmut79 on Sat, 19 Feb 2011 5:59 +0000

Looks good Murf.

Ironman front bar seems to sit tighter than the other one on your original Lux.

Love the black
Mick
FCCW

“This is anger management......I’m channelling it into something and then I destroy it!”

My Build viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6869

New Member Sandpit viewforum.php?f=83
helmut79

Postby dute on Sat, 19 Feb 2011 6:02 +0000

Nice . . . . . . very nice . . . . . ;)
FCCW

inside Dute's black hole

"Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill"
dute

Postby jakelux on Sat, 19 Feb 2011 6:51 +0000

Hmmm.. looks familiar.. ;) How you findin' the V6 over the Diesel? bit more oomphh ya rekon?
Should meet up for a drive one day mate, The other week i did the 'Brushy Lagoon track' between launy and Devonport.. great track in the wet..
Jake
jakelux

Postby murf6 on Sun, 20 Feb 2011 7:34 +0000

jakelux wrote:Hmmm.. looks familiar.. ;) How you findin' the V6 over the Diesel? bit more oomphh ya rekon?
Should meet up for a drive one day mate, The other week i did the 'Brushy Lagoon track' between launy and Devonport.. great track in the wet..
Jake

Yea mate it does looks fairly similar to your bus. I would love that sahara bar hanging off the front of yours though. That was definitely my first choice but at twice the price of the Ironman the option was made.

The V6 over the diesel???? I have always been more of a petrol fan, and I am really enjoying the V6. Maybe the auto version would have just topped off the choice of change. Not quite sure how long the clutch will hang in there with the bigger tyres, but I suppose time will tell....... As far as the power goes, I would say that they are very similar. The extra power of the V6 is matched by the extra torque of the diesel. V6 definitely has a bit more grunt off the line, but the diesel pulled that bit harder on hills. I am loving not having that thought of massive dollar signs ringing in my ear in relation to new injectors, new fuel lines etc aaarrr....

Mate a catch up for a drive would be great. Most of my trips have been down the west. Temma track, Sandy Cape etc. Haven't done a lot inland, so would be good for a look around..........

cheers murf
murf6

Murf's Hilux- New lux. New mods, New pics!!!

Postby KTM525EXC on Mon, 21 Feb 2011 10:49 +0000

Ya gotta love the look of black!!! Looks good Murf ;)
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby pauli85 on Sun, 27 Feb 2011 9:34 +0000

nice,the rear bar looks pritty tuff. pritty keen to see it with the black sports bar as i had similar plans.
pauli85

Postby seb on Mon, 11 Apr 2011 9:02 +0000

Yeow!! :lol: :lol: 8-)
Cheers Seb.
seb

Postby jpecs on Wed, 13 Apr 2011 9:35 +0000

soo murf 6 i got the same ironman suspension as you but may i ask how you got the front to look so high? i find mine has a real nose dive look to it with the lift...truck looks good tho! props!
jpecs

Postby murf6 on Wed, 13 Apr 2011 10:54 +0000

G'day mate,

I have had an extra spacer added to my suspension strut (15mm packer, Ironman product), and I am also running the Ironman heavy duty coils. I have achieved about a 3 inch lift with this set up. Your standard Ironman front set up will only give you around 40mm of lift, and if you are running comfort coils with a steel bar, that will drop to around only 25-30mm of lift......

I had this set up on my white hilux as well, and have never had an issue, I am more than happy with it.

I have attached a photo will show you the extra spacer. You should have one spacer as standard, and you can see the second one that has been added. I find with the steel front bar, the heavy duty coils still have a comfortable ride.

Cheers Murf

murf6

Postby murf6 on Mon, 18 Apr 2011 7:31 +0000

Next mod under way. Rear sports bar has been removed, and currently off getting powder coated gloss black. Managed to get the job done for $60. I was just going to paint it, but it would have nearly cost me that much in materials. So for the price I don't think I can go wrong.... I should have it back and re fitted in a couple of days.. Will post some pics up then
murf6

Postby Hilux Max on Tue, 19 Apr 2011 7:02 +0000

murf6 wrote:G'day mate,

I have had an extra spacer added to my suspension strut (15mm packer, Ironman product), and I am also running the Ironman heavy duty coils. I have achieved about a 3 inch lift with this set up. Your standard Ironman front set up will only give you around 40mm of lift, and if you are running comfort coils with a steel bar, that will drop to around only 25-30mm of lift......

I had this set up on my white hilux as well, and have never had an issue, I am more than happy with it.

The ironman shocks run the same setup as my desert fox shocks did...I also had run the extra 15mm spacer and was more than happy with the end result.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby H20PRF on Tue, 19 Apr 2011 8:32 +0000

Mate the Torque Rims look the Goods i had them on my old GU V , 3 years ago ! , easy clean and look Mean !

Well done nicely set up truck !
H20PRF

Re: Murf's Hilux- New pics 5th May....

Postby murf6 on Thu, 05 May 2011 5:49 +0000

G'day guys

Just a couple of new pics of how the ute sits now. Not a lot has changed, but have had the rear bar power coated. Besides getting some driving lights at some stage I think I am nearly finished with mods. But as usual, the more you look at your tyres the smaller they look.... Probably should have gone the 285's.... Maybe one day!!!

murf6

Postby danmcccc on Thu, 05 May 2011 5:52 +0000

liking the black theme...very nice ;)
old enough to know better...young enough to not give a f**k

MY KILLER BUILD THREAD
viewtopic.php?t=9235
danmcccc

Postby seb on Thu, 05 May 2011 10:02 +0000

Love this car.
Makes me want to take my Toyota off and powder coat my roll bar.
Misses likes the shiny letters.
Cheers Seb.
seb

Postby BREAKINBAD on Fri, 06 May 2011 1:52 +0000

:mrgreen: Great idea to powder coat tub bar..
BREAKINBAD

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups