Smithyworld's Buildup

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Smithyworld's Buildup

Postby rodw on Wed, 29 Apr 2009 10:23 +0000

any protection is better than no protection

Unless it breaks in use :lol: :lol: :lol:

Max, pretty sure any water ingress will be via the axle seals. The factory breather must be a one way valve and only lets air out when the diff gets hot! So by adding a breather there is no pressure on the seals.

When I removed the factory breather to do mine when the diff was cold, there was a big hiss of air going back into the diff. The diff must have almost been a vacuum!

If you must go through deep water, you would normally stop and walk the obstacle and prepare your vehicle, cover things, maybe loosen fan belt, maybe block breather in bottom of air cleaner (Max will know more about that as he has experience in water crossings :lol: :lol: ). Take your time. It is a good idea to wait half an hour or so to let things cool down as it is the sudden shock of the cold water on the diff pulling the temp down. If you can, stay in the shallows so this cooling happens for a while before you go in deep and test the breathers out.

Yes, the danger point for diff ingress is on the exit on the far creek bank, particularly on a long vehicle so close to the centre is a good thing. a 45 degree bank would reduce the height by half at the rear. A well prepared vehicle should have a pocket of air maintained under the hood by forward momentum. Bit of water in the cab isn't a problem in an SR with vinyl floors. :D :D al long as my Car PC does not go under! :roll: :!: :?:
rodw

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 29 Apr 2009 10:43 +0000

rodw wrote: Bit of water in the cab isn't a problem in an SR with vinyl floors.

may not be a poblem for the vinyl floors, bu when you start growing mushrooms out of the insulation beneath the vinyl, then you'll start wondering wtf is going on?

Oh, thanks Rod for reminding me bout water crossing....been trying very hard to put that episode out of my head.....now I need to go see my therapist again :P

:lol:
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby rodw on Wed, 29 Apr 2009 11:18 +0000

mmaaxx wrote:
rodw wrote: Oh, thanks Rod for reminding me bout water crossing....been trying very hard to put that episode out of my head.....now I need to go see my therapist again :P
:lol:

Hmm, I think I better add a reply to Drew's rig about the guy with the Wizard kit wound up to 4" of lift because he has to get to the Excavator he operates every day. When Brent told me that story, a certain image flashed before my eyes and I am sure I could see a gold Hilux in the picture with the excavator as it flashed up ... :roll: :roll: :roll: :?: :o

Now you'll really need that therapist session :lol: :lol:
rodw

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 29 Apr 2009 11:50 +0000

And heres my therapist-

bwahahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Skog07 on Wed, 29 Apr 2009 5:57 +0000

Smithy.
If you were to add a length of fuel hose onto the end of the fuel filter and plumb it up so that the hose output points down this would give you a little extra protection.
Would also stop wheel spray water making its way down the filter.
The whole setup looks tops mate very jealous.. :mrgreen:
Cheers
Skog
Skog07

Postby Marneus on Thu, 30 Apr 2009 3:14 +0000

Hey Smithy,
Awesome looking truck you have there mate! I hope mine looks something similar when finished.

Do you happen to know the part numbers for the OME suspension that you have? I've managed to find a couple of dealers in the UK that sell OME but they don't have a list for the new hilux.

Cheers

Jamie
Marneus

Postby Smithyworld on Thu, 30 Apr 2009 10:16 +0000

Marneus wrote:Hey Smithy,
Awesome looking truck you have there mate! I hope mine looks something similar when finished.

Do you happen to know the part numbers for the OME suspension that you have? I've managed to find a couple of dealers in the UK that sell OME but they don't have a list for the new hilux.

Cheers

Jamie

Hi Jamie

Parts are as follows:
Trim Packers OME95PF5
Spring Prado Fronts OME884
Struts Hilux Front N167S
MED Load Spring Hilux Rear Leafs CS044R ( I have since upgraded these and do not know the HD part number. I just added an extra leaf.)
Rear Nitro Charger Shock N169
Spring Bush Kit OMESB98
OME UBolt OMEU53
Greesable Shackle Hilux OMEGS14

Bear in mind that these code may have changed now.

Cheers
Smithyworld

Postby Smithyworld on Thu, 30 Apr 2009 10:17 +0000

mmaaxx wrote:Good stuff mate........ nice pic of her in action....

those trim packers, do they fit ontop of the strut assembly, and how much are they each?

:D

Max just to confirm they sit under the spring base at the bottom of the spring.
Smithyworld

Postby Marneus on Thu, 30 Apr 2009 10:14 +0000

Smithyworld wrote:Hi Jamie

Parts are as follows:
Trim Packers OME95PF5
Spring Prado Fronts OME884
Struts Hilux Front N167S
MED Load Spring Hilux Rear Leafs CS044R ( I have since upgraded these and do not know the HD part number. I just added an extra leaf.)
Rear Nitro Charger Shock N169
Spring Bush Kit OMESB98
OME UBolt OMEU53
Greesable Shackle Hilux OMEGS14

Bear in mind that these code may have changed now.

Cheers

Cheers for these mate, I can now start looking :P
Marneus

Postby Smithyworld on Fri, 01 May 2009 6:41 +0000

Incase you are interested thought I would post the suspension heights.

Fronts currently sit at 760mm left and right side
Rear are 724 on the left & 728 on the right

When I measured this morning I had to 40ltr fridges with fridge slides, aluminium drawer set, 55 ltr water tank which is empty, hi lift jack, compressor and some tool in the drawer to weigh it down.

Cheers
Chris
Smithyworld

Postby rodw on Fri, 01 May 2009 7:15 +0000

Good to see your height measurements. I'll post up mine over the weekend. I have been thinking of maybe packing the bottom of my springs similar to yours which I think will give me about the same clearance as Max.

Since I wrecked my knee (which is almost good to go now) they allocated a car park under the building for me at work. I have been driving my son's car for a few days since I took out all my gear out of the back to fit my water tank. Yesterday, back inthe Hilux and I scraped the roller door going in and out of the building. Been parking there for eight weeks with no problems previously. Not sure if my rig is growing or the world is sinking. I better do measurements with and without a load I think.

Smithy, you have an awesome setup in the rear. I think you and Timewaster have set the standard for canopy fitouts. I've got to get onto mine. Have a look at his slide out tap in his profile that clears the tailgate. Very clever!
rodw

Postby herm on Fri, 22 May 2009 3:17 +0000

gday mate, i was wondering how far out past your flares do the tires stick out ... is it HEAPS, or not at all

its just that i spoke to the guys at FOURBYS today and they seemed to think that they would stick out a mile and look REALLY illegal on a SR , do the SR5 flares completely cover the tyre, or does it still stick out
herm

Postby rodw on Fri, 22 May 2009 3:32 +0000

herm wrote:gday mate, i was wondering how far out past your flares do the tires stick out ... is it HEAPS, or not at all

its just that i spoke to the guys at FOURBYS today and they seemed to think that they would stick out a mile and look REALLY illegal on a SR , do the SR5 flares completely cover the tyre, or does it still stick out

Herm check my buildup. I have got the Utemart flares from Leon at Burleigh on my SR. See here www.utemart.com.au. You do need them even for 31x10.5's While 31's look legal on an SR, the first bit of mud makes an awful mess up the sides. Ifound out the hard way. They are easy to fit yourself.
rodw

Postby Alby on Fri, 22 May 2009 4:20 +0000

Herm, you probably won't hear back from Smithyworld for a few weeks because he is headed for the Cape.

I have the same wheel/tyre setup as him and you will definately want to extend your guards. I have the SR5 flares and they still stick out a bit further than them. I will probably add some flare rubber flare extenders because as Rod said you do get a lot of mess and stonechips up the sides. Now that I have fitted the muddies I am guessing that they will throw up more stones than a Palistinian boy on the Gazza strip :lol:
If you look on my build up thread you can probably get a better idea from the pics

Alby
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby herm on Fri, 22 May 2009 4:45 +0000

yeah that is what i was worried about,

would the problem be nullified if they made them a 7 inch wide rim ?

i think i will probly have to choose another mag.... DAMMIT

oh yeah, my SR will have the sr5 flares fitted from the dealer, so im guessing even with the sr5 flares, they stick out too much still

wat a bummer, i had me mind made up bout those dc-1 rims...... BUMMER
herm

Postby Alby on Fri, 22 May 2009 8:04 +0000

Herm they are a nice looking rim but as Max said are not legal but then either are the 32" that most peple are running anyway. So I got them anyway
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Previous

Return to Member Build Ups