Smithyworld's Buildup

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Smithyworld's Buildup

Postby Smithyworld on Tue, 28 Apr 2009 12:43 +0000

Hey All

Since I like reading through other members build ups I thought I would put my build up even though it's already completed and has been built over the last 12 months still thought it might be of interest to some.

My rig has been built as a tourer with the ability to go pretty much anywhere in Australia with the occasional more challenging off road tracks. Also needed to accommodate for a family of 4 (including baby!)

I am personally happy with it although would like to upgrade the suspension at some stage as well as add sliders, long range tank and lockers.

First pics are of the virgin vehicle. SR5 Hilux Dual Cab 2008 Manual. By the way click on the pic to see full picture!!!

First upgrades were to lift it and I chose 2 inch Old Man Emu from ARB. To get extra heigh I went with the heaviest springs in the front with 2 5mm packers. In the rear was their medium weight leaf springs which have since been upgraded to to the HD ones to cater for the extra weight I carry as well as the camper i now tow from time to time.

All up I seem to have gained closer to 3 inches. Will check the measurements for those who are interested. As a part of the suspension I decided on a set of Mickey Thompson DC1 rims with Mickey Thompson MTZ 32 inch tyres.

Next came the canopy and ARB rear bar. Current roof height of the canopy is at 1.95m exactly.

As you can see in this I get pretty good articulation. I am happy with it anyway! :)
Last edited by Smithyworld on Tue, 28 Apr 2009 1:05 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Smithyworld

Re: Smithyworld's Buildup

Postby Hilux Max on Tue, 28 Apr 2009 12:49 +0000

Good stuff mate........ nice pic of her in action....

those trim packers, do they fit ontop of the strut assembly, and how much are they each?

:D
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Quinny34 on Tue, 28 Apr 2009 12:49 +0000

Looks good Smithy.... How do you find the wind cheaters on the front windows.... I love em... keeps a shite load of water out of the inside compared to not having them...
FCCW
Application for G##C membership REVOKED
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Smithyworld on Tue, 28 Apr 2009 1:11 +0000

mmaaxx wrote:Good stuff mate........ nice pic of her in action....

those trim packers, do they fit ontop of the strut assembly, and how much are they each?

:D

Hey Maxx

Now you are testing my memory. Pretty sure they are on the bottom. Really expenisve too.....$5 :lol: haha Bu they do the job. I have two sitting on top of each other. Can get you a pic if you like?
Smithyworld

Postby Smithyworld on Tue, 28 Apr 2009 1:12 +0000

Quinny23 wrote:Looks good Smithy.... How do you find the wind cheaters on the front windows.... I love em... keeps a shite load of water out of the inside compared to not having them...

yeah mate I do love them. got one for both side. Well worth it. Just when its p*ssing down with rain and you can still have fresh air! :D
Smithyworld

Postby Smithyworld on Tue, 28 Apr 2009 1:18 +0000

I just wrote the second part of this post and submitted it but it hasn't submitted and now its gone! I have to start again! nooooo
Smithyworld

Postby Smithyworld on Tue, 28 Apr 2009 1:53 +0000

Next on the agenda was to lengthen the rear diff breather which I relocated to the rear tail light. Nice easy job.

Decided on a Safari snorkel and Outback roof console too house the GME TX3240 UHF No pics sorry. Keeps every thing nice and neat as well as providing a great spot to keep the sunnies and beanie!

Next we move to the rear tub where it was time to install a custom aluminum drawer set up with 50 ltr water tank and Hi Lift Jack storage. This was thanks to a mate of mine so saved me a packet!

You will see that on the right and left sides there is a "hidden compartment" which can be used for storage. We put lids on these so all space was utilised. On the left side we installed a tap and ran the filler and breather hose to the left compartment. This means when filling i can pull the filler hose out the window and not spill water through the tub.

Also in the left compartment I have installed the ARB compressor. Decided against the engine bay as it was too busy already, under the rear seat was no good as I have a baby seat in there so lifting the seat would be a pain. Being in the rear it can reach the front wheels, rear wheels and the wheels on a trailer without the need for an extension hose.

Hose comes out nicely through the finger hole in the compartment lid keeping everything nice and neat while on the road.

In the last week I have installed dual fridge slides to accommodate two 40ltr (i think) Engle's. One to run as fridge and other as freezer. This is for the 5 week Cape York trip that we are doing in May. I won't always be running the 2 fridges. (One is borrowed from my father)

Also just finished sealing the rear tailgate. Bought some seal from Clark rubber and ran it from each side of the tub along the tailgate to prevent dust entering. Tailgate is now really tight to close which should mean it does the job.

Finally the most recent edition has been the camper trailer which isn't really part of the build up. Good pic of the final set up though! :roll:

Overall as I mentioned I am pretty happy with it all. Hope I keep the vehicle long enough now to get the value out of it!!!
Smithyworld

Postby dute on Tue, 28 Apr 2009 2:27 +0000

Top set up well done . . . .. :)
FCCW

inside Dute's black hole

"Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill"
dute

Postby Hilux Max on Tue, 28 Apr 2009 3:23 +0000

awesome setup...two fridges? :o :shock: who needs food when you got that much beer....LMAO :lol:
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby rodw on Tue, 28 Apr 2009 5:25 +0000

Looking good mate ! does that table slide out from the main drawer in the ute?
rodw

Postby 9W6VX on Tue, 28 Apr 2009 6:21 +0000

Smithy,

Nice work there.

:D :D
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby Smithyworld on Tue, 28 Apr 2009 6:37 +0000

rodw wrote:Looking good mate ! does that table slide out from the main drawer in the ute?

No mate it stores inside the draw and then hooks onto the side of the draw. It can hook on either side which makes it nice and versatile.
Smithyworld

Postby Brookster on Tue, 28 Apr 2009 6:49 +0000

Very impressive build-up Smithy! Very similar in philosophy to what I'd ultimately like to achieve. Great all-round tourer with reasonable off-road ability. Well done! :D :D
IF A MAN TALKS IN THE FOREST AND THERE IS NO WOMAN TO HEAR HIM, IS HE STILL WRONG?
Brookster

Postby rodw on Wed, 29 Apr 2009 4:40 +0000

Smithy,

I was going to put my rear diff breather where you have as that's where the factory put it on my Vitara, but I was told by Brett at On Track 4WD not to because if you go through deeper water there is often a steep bank to contend with on the other side so the tail lights go under. If you do get stuck at that point (which is the most likely spot), water will pour into the rear diff from the breather. They told me to run it along the brake line and put it on the firewall somewhere. They tried to mount them behind the brake servo, but that was a bit awkward so I have mine mounted up behind the engine as high as I can get it.

I also picked up the front one on the way past so I only use one filter. It was suggested to use plastic fittings so they are nice and light and won't vibrate round and break or leak.

rodw

Postby Smithyworld on Wed, 29 Apr 2009 7:03 +0000

[quote="rodw"]Smithy,

I was going to put my rear diff breather where you have as that's where the factory put it on my Vitara, but I was told by Brett at On Track 4WD not to because if you go through deeper water there is often a steep bank to contend with on the other side so the tail lights go under. If you do get stuck at that point (which is the most likely spot), water will pour into the rear diff from the breather. They told me to run it along the brake line and put it on the firewall somewhere. They tried to mount them behind the brake servo, but that was a bit awkward so I have mine mounted up behind the engine as high as I can get it.

Very valid point there Rod. I guess the way I see it at the moment is that, from my understanding (and I could be wrong) diff breathers really serve to prevent the diff sucking in water as it hits the water which cools down the hot diff. The contraction of seals and parts etc forces the diff to suck in air which can also suck in water.

The diff breather due to the height of my vehicle must sit at approx 1 meter high at a guess. I figure that to submerse the diff breather, one it will have to be a very deep crossing & 2 by the time it is actually submersed, the diff will have been in the water long enough to have cooled and contracted therefor hopefully not sucking in any water. Also at that height if the water is that deep then I am pretty sure it will be flowing over the engine anyway. If I am stuck then I won't be moving either so I will have more problems such as water coming in through the door seals and god knows where else!!

Hey by the way love the nav set up you have done in your vehicle. Only wish I could understand what you had done there to copy the idea! Way beyond my technical abilities!!!
Smithyworld

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 29 Apr 2009 7:21 +0000

Smithy,

Just to add to your diff breather location issue that Rod brought up, what he is saying is even thou the breather is at the height of the tailight, you could easily submerge that in water half that height, if having to contend with an embankment rising out of a water crossing, where the front of the hilux is out, but due to traction issues or terrain, you can get the rear out of the water, hence getting you stranded.

I beleive thats what Rod was reffering to.....in that case, you could submerge it in almost half that height.

I personally, ran mine and mounted it in between the cab and the front of the tub....bolted a little bracket to the front side of the tub and its tucked away nice and high, protected by the cabin.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Smithyworld on Wed, 29 Apr 2009 7:22 +0000

Maxx is the diff always sucking air in though or just when it changes temperature suddenly?
Smithyworld

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 29 Apr 2009 9:36 +0000

when it heats up, the fluid expands, when its hot and cools suddenly it will want to suck in air, which is when the valve shuts and theoretically stops things going through......but if theres enough temp difference, I have heard it may be possible to suck in water through the axles seals.....nto common, but theoretically possible....

end of the day, any protection is better than no protection. ;)
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Smithyworld on Wed, 29 Apr 2009 9:38 +0000

end of the day, any protection is better than no protection. ;)[/quote]

That has alway been my motto.......if you know what I mean!! haha :lol: :lol: :lol:
Smithyworld

Postby 9W6VX on Wed, 29 Apr 2009 10:20 +0000

Gentlemen, let's stick with our Hiluxes........ ahem..ahem... cough... cough.....i like to use the thinner protection as it gives better feeling.......

Oh...what a feeling......

cough...cough.....
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Next

Return to Member Build Ups