My Boat Rack

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

My Boat Rack

Postby mduncan on Sat, 04 Apr 2009 11:32 +0000

Just wanted to show an example of a boat rack for a dual-cab hilux that was built in about half a day. Actually, this boat rack has already been to cape york 2 times, although it was on a Landcruiser ute.

This rack is made specifically to fit my Brooker 3.6m Aluminium boat on.

It was given to me, and then we modified it to suit the hilux. This involved cutting some bits shorter, extending others, and making up new mounting feet for it. It incorporates the standard headboard in the SR hilux, so the only mods to the actual ute body are a few drill holes (8 to be exact)

Yes it looks super bodgy, but this is a simple design that has proven to be very strong. It will be going to cape york again in May (next month yipee cant wait!).

PS Click on the photo to see the full image. Someone might like to educate me how to make the pictures show correctly within the post.

mduncan

Re: My Boat Rack

Postby Alby on Mon, 06 Apr 2009 6:18 +0000

Mate that's good, simple but as long as it does the job that's all you need, what size motor are you taking?

I have tought of taking my tinny but I think I will be loaded up enough so think I will just do a few charter trips

Alby
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby mduncan on Mon, 06 Apr 2009 6:26 +0000

Alby,

We're taking an 18hp Tohatsu, its the perfect match for the hull.

I'll be posting an article showing how it all fits in the car. The big bonus for our cape trip is that there is only 2 people per car, so we'll be taking the back seat out, giving us loads more room. Given that we are going mainly for fishing/waterway exploring, we are sacrificing some other things that you would normally take (e.g. comfy tents. We'll be using tent cots instead)
mduncan

Postby Alby on Tue, 07 Apr 2009 7:37 +0000

MDuncan
I like the sound of your trip, fishing, fishing, fishing. I know I will enjoy doing our family trip but would love to head up again as a dedicated fishing trip on a live aboard mothership :D :D
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Return to Member Build Ups