Custom Swingaway project.

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Custom Swingaway project.

Postby Glenn k on Tue, 24 Mar 2009 1:54 +0000

i believe he gets the feather duster out to get rid of all the metal filings when he has finished for the day

due to recent financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel has been shut off until further notice !
Glenn k

Postby jamiecracker on Tue, 24 Mar 2009 2:27 +0000

Alby wrote:Mate I love the lace tablecloth on your workbench :lol: , Do you work under Chandelier lighting??

Looks good Mark

Alby

i think scented candles would give a better result and a much calmer work enviroment
jamiecracker

Postby McSumWay on Tue, 24 Mar 2009 2:42 +0000

He also wears his steel capped stilletos :lol: :lol:
I have nothing good to say down here so I wont say anything at all
McSumWay

Postby jamiecracker on Tue, 24 Mar 2009 3:02 +0000

that is not a pretty thought....i will require consuling for that one
jamiecracker

Postby dute on Tue, 24 Mar 2009 3:14 +0000

Jamie you could lend him one of your scrapbooks . . . ;)
FCCW

inside Dute's black hole

"Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill"
dute

Postby Alby on Tue, 24 Mar 2009 5:01 +0000

Look at that, a quality informative thread trashed so quickly, you blokes just don't take this site seriously. Not to mention lack of respect shown to Skog

By the way last time we went camping I did see a pair a pair of steel capped stilletos next to Marks swag and he was drinking VB out of a crystal long stemmed glass. He is a very classy bloke :lol: :lol:

Alby

What do think the chances are of him making me a Swingaway bar???
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby Quinny34 on Tue, 24 Mar 2009 5:15 +0000

Depends... Will you pair up with him at Dance class..... :D :D

Seriously though... the poor bastard probably had that thing draped on the side of his bed or some other BS spot in the house... thinking of how to rid himself of it he's probably "strategically" spilt shit on it... Unfortunatly... he wasn't allowed to rid himself of it fully... having been handed down from shopper to wife and to house... 3n generations....

Therefore he must bear the guilt and hang it in shame in his shed.... hidden only by the arse kicken tools, 4x4 calanders and beer fridge...
FCCW
Application for G##C membership REVOKED
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Skog07 on Tue, 24 Mar 2009 6:33 +0000

You have all offended me........ Was going to show you pics of the finished unit but now I'm not going too...
Will be going back to my chandelier litten workshop, light a scented candle or two, and drink VB out of a longstemmed crystal glass.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Skog07

Postby bms on Tue, 24 Mar 2009 6:58 +0000

Mate gotta say your'e doing a top job love your work and don't take any notice of what all them nockers are sayin about you :shock: :lol:

Tell me it aint true :shock: :shock: :?:
bms

Postby Skog07 on Tue, 24 Mar 2009 7:08 +0000

Welding the frame to the hub. (Note tablecloth removed from table so it doesnt catch on fire....) :D :D
My favourite little welder no bigger than two house bricks welds to 150 amps of a 10A 240Vplug...
Wanted to make sure that the swingaway would not interfere with the canopy window It would have shit me to tears to have to open it everytime I wanted to get into the back. Used a few straps to hold it into position to get the measurements.
Here is a shot in the closed position.
The open position.
Decided to put more angle on the final weld up, and offset the wheel slightly further out. I am hoping to fit a HiLift jack between the tyre and the open window position. I have around 4inches of clearance.
After a I had a few beers with a mate tonight and have also worked out that I could incorporate a fold down table into its design.
The bar does have a little flex in it but once its secured properly and locked to the towbar with latches it should be fine. Opened the swingaway and stood on the end of it and it didnt bend. Im not a light bloke either at 110kgs ish... :? so I am really happy with it so far. Have to muck around with latches now but just using a tiedown to secure it into position at the moment.
Cheers
Skog
BMS. I know these people they are very cruel and my hardest critics...... :cry: :cry:
Only joking mate, there a good bunch of blokes that I do a fair bit of 4bying with.
Looking forward to that dance Alby...... Might even make you up a set of sliders if your real nice to me........ :P
Skog07

Postby jamiecracker on Tue, 24 Mar 2009 7:34 +0000

looks good skog
well thought out..i like the wheel tilted so you can get the canopy open
jamiecracker

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 25 Mar 2009 6:22 +0000

Great Stuff skog....looking good.....just thought Id post some pics of a forum members design for a twin swing out tyre carrier off the Territory Offroaders in the States....im sure you guys will appreciate it.

I really like the design of it but think the workmanship needed might be abit out of my league......

I wonder how heavy that design above would be too?

I like how it incorporates the quarter panel protectors. :D
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Glenn k on Wed, 25 Mar 2009 11:14 +0000

i would be careful just what you say to mark , he could kick your arses, especially since he has been doing all those pilates classes, his core strength is really strong now :o :o

i like the swing away wheel carrier mark, it looks great
what colour are you thinking of painting it??? a nice pastel??? or something bold like a magenta or turquoise??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

sorry, your free to get back on topic now
Glenn

due to recent financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel has been shut off until further notice !
Glenn k

Postby McSumWay on Wed, 25 Mar 2009 11:50 +0000

Great work mate. Have you had a look at the latch idea I had the other day. I have some links if you want.

Warren
McSumWay

Postby McSumWay on Wed, 25 Mar 2009 1:27 +0000

Have a look at www.conceptlatch.com.au and around page 100-113 of the downloaded catalog are the slam latches.

Warren
McSumWay

Postby Skog07 on Wed, 25 Mar 2009 5:09 +0000

Glenn, when it comes time to paint it will possibly use glitter face paint red, pink, white and blue. Stick some Macaroni to it then get it clear coated over the top. Possible put some sequence on it as well to highlight it as well. 8-) 8-)
Warren, there does seem to be a bit of flex with the wheel over bumps. It improved with the use of a G clamp over the strap that I was using to stop it from swinging out.
Welded post onto the towbar section and finished welded the swingaway to accept the clamps Will be using Elsa ganter clamps X 2 with a lockdown force of 7200N. Also will be machining up a tab to fit inside the post so I can also bolt it directly to the towbar as well. Just as a precautionary measure for the Cape trip. This post (in Blue) greatly increased the strength of the wheel carrier in the closed postion.
Just another shot of welding up the clamp mount on the bottom.
Mmaaxx that wheel carrier certainly looks pretty custom. It would be a struggle to get two 33 inch tyres to fit on the back I reckon. Reckon there would be alot of redesigning and cutting up rewelding to get that swing away right.
Cheers
Skog
Skog07

Postby Wade on Thu, 26 Mar 2009 10:42 +0000

Looks good mate, i paased you on the M2 yesterday
Wade

Postby bj343 on Fri, 27 Mar 2009 7:05 +0000

gees mark if I had known you had a shed full of tools like that I would have married you, great work keep the projects rolling
Regards Brian
bj343

Postby Dave on Sun, 29 Mar 2009 9:18 +0000

That wheel carrier looks tops mate, love it!
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Skog07 on Mon, 30 Mar 2009 4:01 +0000

Thanks Dave.
It looks a bit "agricultural" at the moment. Will be chopping it up and starting it again to get the wheel placed into the right position. I can move it down 125mm at least in height and want to offset the wheel another 20mm further towards the centre of the truck. This should hopefully give me a full 180 degree swing on the carrier and I hope to also incorporate a fold down or clip-on table into its design.
Really want to try and keep its functionallity of being able to open the rear window without opening the swingaway.... if possible.. but might have to bring the wheel back towards the tailgate to minimise load on the mounting points. :cry:
Cheers
Skog
Skog07

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups