Drews Build. For Sale !!

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Drews Build

Postby Drew on Wed, 24 Nov 2010 10:41 +0000

Ultimate Suspension's clutch upgrade has been ordered !!!!! Thanks heaps Brendan !!
Im not stuck..... Im thinking
Drew

Postby Drew on Wed, 01 Dec 2010 6:06 +0000

Got the new clutch today ! thanks Brendan !! The gear box is out and the fky wheel machined. What a bloody mission lol. Will hopefully have it back together tomorow with picks!!!
Drew

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 01 Dec 2010 6:14 +0000

good stuff mate.......get it done right huh?
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Sr5luxy on Wed, 01 Dec 2010 8:48 +0000

very nice drew, should be running all smoothly ;)
Sr5luxy

Postby Drew on Fri, 03 Dec 2010 1:52 +0000

Finaly done !!!!! got it finished yesterday but the beers were calling lol so il post this now. Big thanks to Trav and Jase even if they do both drive patrols :shock:

It felt like a bit of a mission, but i have done a few clutches in other cars so i gave it a go and puting it back together went easier than we expected !!! if you have a couple of floor jacks, a mate or 2, some beers and long extensions give it a go !!

Started off pulling out the center consol and removing the shifters. Transfer has a circlip and the transmission just pushes down and turns.

Then we marked and removed the front and rear prop shafts and removed the front sections ont he exhaust from the turbo.

Remove the side steps, undo all the bell housing bolts and put a jack at the front and rear of the gearbox to lower it, then drag it out. This was nice and easy with 3 blokes. You can see the burn marks in the flywheel and pressure plate from where it was slipping. There is still heaps of meat on the clutch plate, just toyotas claping pressure is shithouse lol
The big supprise of the day was the 12v impact wrench i got from my 4wd action subscription, the rattle gun or breaker bar couldnt undo the flywheel blots but it did it like they were finger tight lol

Then off to town to get the fly wheel machined, and home just in time to meet the truck droping off the new clutch from Brendan at Ultimate Suspension. The clutch industries kit is very impressive !!! Good website too if oyu want more info. I got a clutch aligning tool from super cheap for $20 but the bloody thing kept pulling through, so a bit of electrical tape to firm it up and more grip for the clutch plate spline and all was tops...

So got it up and on, used a bit of medium strength locktite on everything to stop any blots vibrating loose, but they can still be removed with hand tools. Aslo got onto the toyota global service website and got the torque settings for all the blots just to be sure.

Put the gearbox back up the same way we got it down on the jacks, a bit of a wobble arround and on it went, nice and easy. Then just to tighten it all up.

I also took the opportunity to extend the gearbox and transfer breathers as high as i could....

It was all prety easy and am looking forward to test out the new clutch !!! I always said to myself if it went i wouldnt bother with toyota crap !!!!! not after reading what people have gone through on here.
Drew

Re: Drews Build HD Clutch in !!

Postby Drew on Sat, 04 Dec 2010 8:21 +0000

Pedal feels the same, no harder, and clutch engages and disengages nice and low in the pedal stroke. Nice to drive. For anyone else having clutch issues go for one of these. And if anyone wanted my old one for some crazy reason let me know before it goes in the bin lol
Drew

Postby OFFTRAK on Sat, 04 Dec 2010 9:45 +0000

Great write up, Drew. Well done on the install. :)
OFFTRAK

Postby Marshwa on Sun, 05 Dec 2010 9:28 +0000

awesome write up Drew, cheers for taking the time.
Marshwa

Postby Drew on Sun, 05 Dec 2010 6:24 +0000

No worries. I though it might get others to give it a go themselves when they normaly wouldnt
Drew

Postby OFFTRAK on Sun, 05 Dec 2010 7:06 +0000

I'm one of those 'others'... Even with the pics it will be difficult, though. I have an auto. :lol:
OFFTRAK

Postby axeten on Mon, 06 Dec 2010 12:39 +0000

Sent you a PM regarding clutch
axeten

Postby Jack S on Mon, 06 Dec 2010 4:02 +0000

Luxative wrote:I'm one of those 'others'... Even with the pics it will be difficult, though. I have an auto. :lol:

Are there any upgrades we can do to the auto?
Jack S

Postby VMN on Mon, 06 Dec 2010 4:20 +0000

Looks Good Drew. Certainly looks the goods!

Jack S wrote:
Luxative wrote:I'm one of those 'others'... Even with the pics it will be difficult, though. I have an auto. :lol:

Are there any upgrades we can do to the auto?

Jack, probably just fit a tranny cooler. I am at a loss to understand why everybody complains about the auto overheating when towing when years ago the very first thing you did to an Automatic Ford or Holden if you added a tow bar was to fit a transmission cooler!
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
Dedicated to providing exceptional value and service to NewHilux members
VMN

Postby Drew on Mon, 06 Dec 2010 5:25 +0000

Yeh jack what rod said... In a past life when i for a short time worked with subaru if you got a towbar in an auto you had to get the trans cooler or you voided your warranty. A very worth while mod.
Drew

Postby Drew on Wed, 08 Dec 2010 5:13 +0000

I forgot to put some pics up of the 12v impact wrench and the tape mod to the clutch aligner lol

Oh and yeh i didnt leave the breathers on the aireal
Drew

Postby Drew on Sat, 11 Dec 2010 1:46 +0000

Just abit more feedback on the clutch. I was watching a US tv show the otherday and the clutch they put in the 600hp car looked just like this one... button on one side and full plate on the other. Good to see.

But the clutch itself is great !! you can feel it grab and it feels much more positive than the stock one ever did. It had a loud rattle at frist when i stopped and idling in neutral, but touch the clutch or throttle and it goes away. A quick call to brendan who checked with clutch industries for me and as soo as i read his reply i knew exactly what he was saying, I forgot button clutches can rattlle !!!! its all normal and now after a week of driving it rarely does it and is much quieter when it does. I know its still early but i highly recommend this clutch if yours ever goes, screw warranty and buy one of these !!!
Drew

Postby Noidea on Sat, 11 Dec 2010 3:54 +0000

Drew wrote:Just abit more feedback on the clutch. I was watching a US tv show the otherday and the clutch they put in the 600hp car looked just like this one... button on one side and full plate on the other. Good to see.

But the clutch itself is great !! you can feel it grab and it feels much more positive than the stock one ever did. It had a loud rattle at frist when i stopped and idling in neutral, but touch the clutch or throttle and it goes away. A quick call to brendan who checked with clutch industries for me and as soo as i read his reply i knew exactly what he was saying, I forgot button clutches can rattlle !!!! its all normal and now after a week of driving it rarely does it and is much quieter when it does. I know its still early but i highly recommend this clutch if yours ever goes, screw warranty and buy one of these !!!

I got one of these clutches in my room waiting to go in, glad to hear the positive feedback on it. Especially for the price !!! Just waiting for my stock one to go completely or I have a free weekend to put it in :D

Josh
Noidea

Postby Drew on Fri, 21 Jan 2011 7:25 +0000

Well the lastest lil thing ive done is out the arb hose extensions on the locker solenoid exhausts as the one for the rear diff had started blowing diff oil all down the side of the engine bay. Pretty cheap, now hopefully il have some time soon to install the 2wd low range switch and monster rides cv's, and then 4.1 nitro gears lol the mrs thought it was finished....... :lol:

Drew

Postby Drew on Tue, 14 Jun 2011 1:11 +0000

Question for others running lockers. Mine have been working fine but for some time now the rear is blowing oil all the way back to the compressor, which is a common thing. But im now having trouble getting it to disengage... anyone else have the same issue ?? A mate had the problem on his patrol he also like me installed the extra bits of hose off the compressor and ran them into the chassis so the oil blow back would just run down there, his got blocked with dirt and mud. When he tried to disengage it it wouldnt, then half way home it let go with a massive bang. I went to go to town this morning and noticed mine was still in since locking it yesterday around my block. It took a few laps around on the grass and gravel to get it to disengage bit of a pain and a worry to say the least. So any one else have the same issue ??
Drew

Drews Build HD Clutch in !!

Postby KTM525EXC on Tue, 14 Jun 2011 8:36 +0000

Hey Drew,

By memory Mark (Skog07) had a simular issue, he had it where the oil thickened in the airline and wouldent engage because the oil was acting like a plug in the line. I wonder if you disconnected both ends and hook one end up to a compressed and give it a blow out if that would fix it?

Cheers Troy
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups