BBG Custom built TRD upgrade

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: BBG Custom built TRD upgrade

Postby HK1837 on Wed, 06 Feb 2019 6:05 +0000

I have curves for it stock, with exhaust/XEDE and then supercharged, all on the same dyno. Will do the same when the TRD airbox goes on. The stock 2011 auto (that mine was) is rated DIN at 376Nm at 3800, mine measured 450Nm at back wheels at similar revs so there must be some torque multiplication happening which you can get with an auto. The original curves are in my shed but they won't open for me, will try and replace them. A stock TRD is rated 453Nm at the engine, and with the smaller pulley (6.5psi) and better exhaust you'd probably expect this rise to somewhere in the vicinity of 525-550 at the engine, add some torque multiplication and there is your 600Nm. What I might do when we dyno it again is do a run just to where peak torque is unlocked in 3rd with the converter locked and see what the difference is to with it unlocked.

The replacement box I got came out of a stat writeoff 2009 TRD with 120,000kM, it had no towbar and the fluid was red and didn't smell. When they pulled the pan off the box and removed the valve body it looks like it has never been offroad at least on sand as it is in good condition, it was original WS fluid and pan has never been off. So it will go in next week and have my Nomad valve body fitted, then we'll do a forensic on my transmission. If it is just a converter or a bush then it can be rebuilt and put on a pallet for now to be used later.

Once you've played with your test mule, I'll be interested. I'm only up in Lake Macquarie so easy to get to Sydney. The tacho redline is 5500, but I reckon 6500 will be fine, it is a multi-cam Japanese V6 after all! I would never use it as the whole point of the supercharger on mine is I tow so I wanted torque not power, but it would be nice to see what they'll actually do if given some rein. I have seen big figures out of the dual VVTi FJ cruisers and the Hilux VVTi with a belt driven turbo type supercharger, I knew I'd get more power with one of those but not the big rise in torque I wanted hence why I went for the Eaton type (TRD) blower. The reason I put the 2.75" Beaudesert exhaust on was to achieve peak torque, and I got really good torque gains from it (un-supercharged), and didn't lose any low rpm torque. (As a side note, GMH put the HK V8 GTS's redline at 5500, but that was for the 6cyl GTS's, the 307 and 327 easily rev to 6500 and develop useful power till then. Des West took off at Bathurst in 1968 revving his all day to 6500 and was never headed. He had to rev it as he was running a 3.36 rear axle, most of his only other competition (other GTS327's) ran 3.08. It was a dead stock production engine just pulled apart and checked for clearances (ie blueprinted)). So a multi-cam V6 should be OK for a few second trip to 6500rpm on a dyno, but in practice on the road there really is no point as you'd be shifted by 4500-5000 to stay on the peak torque crest.
HK1837

Postby boostedbuiltgarage on Wed, 13 Feb 2019 6:36 +0000

:idea: PART FOUR IS OUT GUYS!

https://youtu.be/FOGDb6H134g

Next ep is dyno time!
boostedbuiltgarage

Postby boostedbuiltgarage on Fri, 22 Feb 2019 3:38 +0000

boostedbuiltgarage

Previous

Return to Member Build Ups