Lerroy's MY07 - City to Bush

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Lerroy's MY07 - City to Bush

Postby lerroy on Sun, 29 Oct 2017 10:21 +0000

Hi All

Quick note : This build is mainly bolt ons, The car is possibly only with me for 18 months and was trying to spend as little as I could, whilst making it my own.

I'll start with a bit of back story

I live with my family in Warburton community in remote WA, we are 1000km west of Kalgoorlie and 1000km East of Alice Springs, so yep pretty much in the middle of nothingsville.
I previously had a 93 landcruiser petrol that we got cheap from family however its been slowly dieing, add to that its petrol and loves to drink, we decided to get something more reliable.
Que the search for a nice Hilux, I really wanted something with a few mods as to save money like lift kit, canopy etc. I found a good looking albeit with up there kms (280k) in Sydney, it had all the gear we wanted and was a good price.
My family is in Sydney so got them to test drive and after some haggling we had a hilux in the family.

We flew back to Sydney on leave and to pickup the car the plan was to get anything large added to it whilst in postal / courier area and then drive the car back to Warburton (4500km) on a road trip with my dad so he could see Ayers rock etc..
The car is to last us 18 months, every 3 months we drive to Ayers rock airport from Warburton (570km one way) on a dirt road for leave, however after adding bit and pieces and driving the car I really love it and when it comes time to head to NZ I may look at shipping her across with us, see how we go.

OK there will be quite a few posts of the progress so far as we did a lot of work before heading off on the roadtrip, ill post more as I progress....

So onto the car....

Here is the car fresh off the car sales website

Mods already done.

2" Lift kit old man emu shocks
Safari 16" x7 +25 offset wheels
BF Goodrich Mud Terrains 245/75/16 with pretty good tread
Toyota Steel bull bar
Toyota high roof canopy
127L Long range tank (didn't know it had this till after purchase)
Snorkel
Halogen Spotties
Last edited by lerroy on Sun, 17 Dec 2017 2:13 +0000, edited 2 times in total.
lerroy

Re: Lerroy's MY07 - City to Bush

Postby lerroy on Sun, 29 Oct 2017 10:31 +0000

After picking up the car and finally driving it I was pretty impressed, it was super clean inside and out the dealer had done an amazing detail job and it was in great shape for the amount of KM's its done.

First things first was to get the tyres sorted, they had been run on low PSI on road and had uneven wear, super loud and vibrating on the passenger front, I got a new wheel and tyre as I need a second spare anyway and rotated all the tyres.

Would have loved to step up to 32-33" but couldn't justify the price for all new shoes.

I then added a bonnet protector, not sure how I feel about the tape and the clips, but seems to hold pretty well.

Rear matt arrived for the tray to stop things moving around, super smelly let it air out in the sun a few days and it settled gown

Seeing as its almost at the 300k mark it was time for a service, I got the timing belts changed water pump and all the gear and got the mechanic to give it a look over. He came back with some great news engine was in great condition, previous owner had dropped money on all Toyota parts and really looked after it, he also pointed out it had a long range tank which was an added bonus, I hadn't even filled up or looked under yet.

Gear was starting to arrive in Sydney my plan was to load up the car and head to my parents in Orange where i had more room and tools to do the work I wanted.
Last edited by lerroy on Sun, 29 Oct 2017 12:50 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
lerroy

Postby lerroy on Sun, 29 Oct 2017 10:43 +0000

Arrived in orange took some shots of the car before

When I planned out my truck I wanted to replace the toyota bullbar with something better, I searched second hand as I couldn't spend too much, in the end i came up with nothing as my time window was small to get sorted I decided on plan B

Plan b, repaint the front of the car black, yep I know its paint and i should have powder coated but again time and other factors this was my solution.

I also purchased some Mars led headlights from ebay, I really like the look of these gave looks allot more modern, I know they are not for everyone though. Thanks TRS build for the inspiration. I did stick with the halogen standard lights at the moment.

First step remove the bullbar, front grill,lights and plastic spacer. The bar is really bolted on and super heavy had to get my dad to help out, not sure if i could have done this alone. no chickens were harmed in the process

Whilst this was being done I added some gas struts to the bonnet I got on eBay, super handy.

Last edited by lerroy on Sun, 29 Oct 2017 12:53 +0000, edited 2 times in total.
lerroy

Postby lerroy on Sun, 29 Oct 2017 10:46 +0000

I started prepping the bars and grill for a flat black paint. (to be honest wish i had powder coated but what the hell)

left side has first coat compared to right stock

pretty happy with the reults however, let just see how long it lasts.
lerroy

Postby lerroy on Sun, 29 Oct 2017 10:50 +0000

Whilst the paint was drying onto the rear.

Now the front was looking modern I decided to replace the tail lights, one was pretty faded anyway so on with the newer style. I had to get some orange bulbs from super cheap to go in the clear parts that the old lights didn't have. I got these on ebay very cheap, quality was OK i did have to cut out some plastic for the bulb holders to fit securely.

right one looking a bit dull

New ones installed

Last edited by lerroy on Sun, 29 Oct 2017 12:54 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
lerroy

Postby lerroy on Sun, 29 Oct 2017 10:54 +0000

Onto the cabin, for the long trip really wanted some tunes so next came the audio upgrade.

Kenwood - DDX4017BT Double din head unit
Aerpro Hilux dash kit and wiring loom
Dynamatt door kit
Focal 165AS 6.5"
Spacers for speakers
Kenwood reversing Camera
Tweet mounts behind the mirror

I also picked up some black badges whilst on ebay...

Stock head unit

Kenwood installed, super easy with the correct wiring kits. just had to tap into reverse lights for the camera

Excuse the night image pulled a late one, decided to paint the dash console as the silver was fading and tended to reflect on windshield ever so slightly
lerroy

Postby lerroy on Sun, 29 Oct 2017 11:04 +0000

Onto the speakers

Drilled out the rivets holding stock speakers in

Installed the dynamatt covering the holes inside the door and out, I had to play around with the crossover position and they are quite large to fit behind the door but seemed to work fine. tested the speakers and was super happy with the sound really nice, i did lower the volume of the tweeters to -6 as they were a bit hot in that position.

lerroy

Postby lerroy on Sun, 29 Oct 2017 11:10 +0000

Time to re assemble the front bar and grill......

Its not 100% what I wanted (new bar would have been better) but its made me allot happier with the bar really wasn't a fan of the color and it looks allot better no in my opinion...

The foglights now stood out like dogs balls so another trip to super cheap and I got some tinting paint..

They are allot darker but they still allow light through.
lerroy

Postby lerroy on Sun, 29 Oct 2017 11:22 +0000

Next plan of attack the roof rack, I really wanted some extra space on the roof for additional tyre and or other storage.

After doing a bit of research i went with a alloy rack from OCAM industries, i did order one on ebay from another store but they screwed me over with no stock and then didnt refund for a week (they are no longer on ebay)

Pretty happy with the rack came quick and pretty light. After watching the 50 min install video on youtube and another trip to super cheap to get some sikaflex we were ready to go.

All the handles, centre light, sun visors removed to get behind the roof lining, unfortunately the plastic clips that also hold the roof liner were very brittle and snapped on removal. Had to get some replacements from Toyota after the install (25 bucks for 9 of them)

After triple checking all the measurements we drilled into the roof and mounted the feet to hold the roof cage, wasn't as scary as I thought and took a couple of hours of work. The Sika 227 black sealant for the bolt holes is super messy I would recommend gloves whilst working with it.

We also mounted a 40" light bar to the rack, one of the slimline ones from 4wd Super centre, to be honest standard light bar would have been tight on the roof where the rack sits currently.

All up really happy with the rack it doesnt sit too high and it also now levels out the roof line with the canopy.

mounted some hoops to tie in a 3 point ratchet strap to hold wheel on the roof, tight and secure

just noticed I'm a bit out of order hadn't done the fog lights in above pictures.
Last edited by lerroy on Sun, 29 Oct 2017 12:59 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
lerroy

Postby lerroy on Sun, 29 Oct 2017 11:35 +0000

Put the spotlights back on for looks, will likely replace them with LED ones at some stage can never have too much light out where we live.

wired up the rear vision camera, ran the RCA under the passenger seat grommet to outside and along the chassis rail to the rear of the car. Seeing as my car is wired to have the parkers on all the time I tapped into the rear lights to get power to the camera.

After playing around with different mounting positions this spot just above the plate worked really well, I can also turn the camera on whilst driving and it activates when you select revere as well. The kenwood camera has a decent picture but no night vision and to be honest its pretty dam wide angle, handy though in some situations.

I took this photos after the roadtrip hence the red dirt in background
Last edited by lerroy on Sun, 29 Oct 2017 1:01 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
lerroy

Postby lerroy on Sun, 29 Oct 2017 11:42 +0000

Alright car is pretty much ready for the road trip

Fixed up a second cigarette light in the dash and loaded up the tunes....

We headed off from orange to Hay then Renmark and made are way through the flinders ranges to Williams creek, lake Eyre and across to Cobber Pedy. We then arrived at kings canyon where we took in the sights and hiked around till our final stop at Ayers Rock (left the car at the airport and headed back to Sydney for a wedding). we did roughly 4000km and the car didn't miss a beat. we camped the entire time really missing a few comforts like water tanks, on board lighting and extra power to charge things but ill work on them when i get home.

lerroy

Postby lerroy on Sun, 29 Oct 2017 11:54 +0000

So picked up the car a week later from airport and drove home into WA

Summer has officially arrived it was a 40.c day and the air con decided enough was enough and stopped working. What's really strange is if i slowed to 40kmh (roadworks) it would kick back on, and last maybe 10 mins if i sped up again. when the sun went down it also worked well so its got an issue i need to look at, either way was a hot drive home.

Where we live there is a car graveyard and I was keen to go pillage any parts i needed, unfortunately the only hilux is fairly wrecked but i was able to get some extra handles for the rear passengers to get in, and some pieces to fix the broken vents, just need a bit of a clean.

We still have the landcruiser so I started work on removing anything we wanted to move accross like the second battery, under seat fusion power sub, rear draws and the 6" light bars for reversing and camping.

The old land cruiser draws measured up pretty well to fit into the tray there will be a gap up the front but I'll make something to go up there.

I needed to cut some of the metal to get accommodate the fender position, out with the angle grinder..

After grinding away and securing the draws in place with some bolts it was starting to come together in the tray, the next step is to wire up battery and accessories and do some more carpentry to fix the holes.

Last edited by lerroy on Sun, 29 Oct 2017 1:03 +0000, edited 2 times in total.
lerroy

Postby lerroy on Sun, 29 Oct 2017 12:00 +0000

Waiting for parts to arrive for the next part of the build

Ordered (things take a while to arrive out here)

HID for the headlights
    OSRAM night breakers for the high beams
    Battery tray to mount the deep cycle in the rear
    Power distribution and fuse boxes and wiring
    9" LED Super centre spotlights
    Steinbrauer Plug and play chip for that bit extra power, was able to get one cheap on ebay 2nd hand.
Will continue with the sub install, and rear of the car for camping over the coming weeks.

Need to work on the light bar as well, its working independent from the full beams, for some reason no matter how i wire the headlight adapter from the wiring kit it either turns off on high beam or it just works independent.

Old isolater kit but still works so I'll install...
lerroy

Postby Tyler1993 on Sun, 29 Oct 2017 6:58 +0000

Starting to come together now mate, great stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tyler1993

Postby jabiru18 on Mon, 30 Oct 2017 12:40 +0000

Nice work. You lux has come up real good with the mods, looks great.

You have given me some ideas and Inspiration I think Ill get those headlights and also look at that head unit you installed.
jabiru18

Postby Critter350 on Mon, 30 Oct 2017 5:58 +0000

Nice work lerroy. I’ve got a very similar Fusion sub under the passengers seat, borrowed from the bro, definitely helps out. Great maiden voyage too!

Cheers
Crit
Critter350

Postby Juforrest on Tue, 31 Oct 2017 11:21 +0000

The front end looks really good.
Juforrest

Postby lerroy on Sat, 11 Nov 2017 12:34 +0000

New gear arrived this week ....

Was excited to get the Steinbrauer installed but when it arrived the model was slightly different to what had been listed, (was 2nd hand) quick phone call to Steinbrauer confirmed was all OK for my car phew, then sent me a new install manual and gave me some handy tips with throttle wire. Install was fairly simple, had no issues could have done with a bit more wire length however for main unit.

My car has aftermarket cruise control and the wires arent the same colors as what are mentioned online/instructions, quick volt meter test confirmed it was the wire closest the firewall, so tapped into it and all was OK with the LEDs on the unit.

I took it for a quick test spin to be honest I didn't notice the extra power straight away, however I grounded the switch wire to disable the unit then I noticed the difference, felt a lot more torque and extra oomph, defiantly able to hold higher gears now cornering.
Overall very happy with the result I was able to pickup the unit $500 shipped so great bang for buck mod.

Simple quick change of the wheel nuts to black as well this week previously just bare metal, minor change but I like the look allot.

HID and the Full beam bulbs arrived, Since changing the headlights I haven't been that happy with the low beams, I'm running the standard bulbs that came with, H7 for the Mars headlights and H1 for the high beam.

I choose to not buy the HID from Mars performance and try somewhere else and after a bit of research went with the ones above( 35w 5000k). Also picked up OSRAM night breakers as I wanted to get a whiter full beam to match the HID.

The photo above is the stock low beam bulbs and the OSRAM high beam on the right, as you can see it is whiter but not a huge difference I was expecting more, not really much brighter either. I'll have to test on the road to get a better idea.

I had to cut a small hole in the back of the headlight covers to run the wires and grommet.

The HID ballasts are mounted with 3M tape and one tech screw, and the additional I think stabilizers are mounted next to the ballasts with 3M tape, the passenger side is a bit tighter because of the battery but just behind the headlight.
Will have to tidy up the wiring a bit more as I have all the light bar adapters etc..On that note I was able to get the light bar working off high beam activation now :)

Ill post up the results of the HID and high beams when I get a chance we have had crazy storms here last few nights with 100km winds and hail...
lerroy

Postby lerroy on Sat, 11 Nov 2017 12:40 +0000

Wired up the fusion under seat sub today, was surprised at the amount of room under the seat when i removed, in the 80 series I had the sub installed but it had to be turned long ways, rather than mounted sideways so you could see it from the back seat allot easier.

Ran the cables under the carpet to give it a cleaner look, excuse the mess in photos car needs a good vacumm.

Not sure if its the different head unit but the sub sounds allot better now, really fills in the missing bass that the splits cant do.

lerroy

Postby lerroy on Sat, 11 Nov 2017 12:50 +0000

Whats next ?

Battery tray to mount the deep cycle in the rear
Power distribution and wiring to clean up under bonnet / rear
Navra fuse boxe
Cigarette socket / Volt meter / USB
Caravan power socket with cover will come from inverter
Dimmer and touch power socket for the LED lights in rear
Gas struts for the tailgate
Tray seal kit (rubber stripping ) to fix the dust situation
Hinges and push to open magnetic clips
Decided against the Super Centre spotlights and got CREE LED set with DRL, they have red surrounds but I'm going to likely paint them black like the bull bar.
Throttle controller I'll pick up in Sydney over christmas ...
Last edited by lerroy on Sat, 11 Nov 2017 11:14 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
lerroy

Next

Return to Member Build Ups