SR Build

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

SR Build

Postby ToyotaMan006 on Sun, 04 Sep 2016 2:41 +0000

Here goes, there is a first time for everything...Image
The first pic is of my SR when I just got it a while ago back in '14. I Got it with the ARB canopy with the roof racks on the canopy(Support bars inside) and one on top of the cab, and the factory tow bar.
The first thing I added was on the communication side of things and installed the GME UHF with all the buttons on the speaker. I wanted to keep the look as stock as possible and did not want to remove the ashtray like most do. After a look around I installed it under the drives side panel. It is out of the way and with the speaker facing downward the sound is heard clearly. I attached a pic to show easier what I mean.
Still with the interior I removed the stock head unit as it was pretty useless. After a lot of reading and shopping around I went with a clarion head unit with reverse camera witch makes parking a breeze now. To finish of what I have done so far with the interior I added 2 volt gauges(eBay) to monitor my batteries(x2, will get to that in a moment), installed a merit plug for when I had the fridge inside on the back seat off my second battery. What i found with the volt gauges is that they were very bright at night and irritating when driving on the highway. I added 2 basic on/off switches(supercheap) to turn them on or off when needed as per the next picture.
Next thing I got stuck into and probably felt the dodgiest of all was fitting the Safari snorkel. I was very nervous and probably measured more then ever before in my life but went for it and it came out pretty neat I think.Image
In the engine bay I installed the dual battery system, went with the ARB one as I got the battery tray, all wiring and redarc isolator with a battery included. Installed it myself one afternoon and was pretty easy. Also added a fuse box(ebay) for my canopy light and awning light(getting there) but thinking of removing it as the fuses need to be "wiggled" sometimes and then it works. Will get to that when time allows but here is a pic of the battery and fuse box.
installImage
When I got the dual battery I also ordered the ARB commercial bull bar....I know it is not the prettiest thing but financially it meant I could get more more stuff done. I went with the winch compatible bar. Does not look pretty but is functional. Sometimes I wish I held on a bit longer or maybe went with the ironman one but it does the job so no point in crying over spilt milk. I installed it myself in the shed and came out ok for a one man job.
The next item was suspension. Went with the Tough Dog 2' kit. works pretty good and very happy with it. Also installed it myself and happy so far. Here is a pic of the bull bar and lift kit fitted.Image
For some shade I went with the Kings 2.5x2.5m awning. Easy to install on the roof racks and handy thing to have. For camping purposes I got a led strip(eBay) which has a sticky back so I just cut it to size and stuck it to the awning. To get power to the awning I ran my canopy light from my second battery and just tapped into the wiring at he back of the canopy light. When I want light I just open the back canopy window and plug the plug in and there is light. Very easy but effective. Here is pics of the awning light and where it is in use.
ImageImage
After getting irritated with the fridge on the back seat I wanted to mount it in the back. I got the fridge slide for my ironman fridge, and thought about drawers and got a couple of quotes but decided against it for the following reasons: they are very expensive, as I use the ute for its intended purpose at times it is also difficult to remove the drawer system myself and then there is a storage issue if it is not in the tub.
I just got 8 nutserts and drilled a couple of holes and installed them in the tub. If I want to remove the fridge slide it is a case of removing 8 6mm bolts and it takes literally 1 minute.
For power I ran an 8AWG dual core wire with in line fuse form my second battery all the way on the chassis rail and up behind the taillight. Had to trill a hole in the tub on the left hand side top part for the wire to come through. I had a spare merit plug laying around so I went to Bunnings and bought a plastic box for $4 I think, drilled a hole on either side one for the merit plug and one for the power wire to go into. Just screwed that into the side of the tub and it works a treat. Some pics of my fridge install:
ImageImage
Next thing to do is install my winch when time allows, bit the bullet and went for the Dominator 12000lbs from supacentre as I got it with a double swag delivered for $600 witch for the few times I need it I think is money well spent. The only thing I want to get done still is getting rid of the cheese cutters on the ute as I have 225/75r16 on at the moment. Apparently it is legally the biggest I can go on the standard wheels. I know there is a mammoth amount of information on here and I spent many many hours reading on this site but still cannot make up my mind. Just do not want to get flares as getting the rubber is already a big expenditure and want to either get the best rubber possible for my money's worth. For some extra light when daylight runs out I got a cheap 22' light bar(eBay-Muddog I think was the name with wiring loom and swith) for $50. It performs ok and for the amount of times I get to use it I think it does the job.
I also attached a pic for you after my latest adventure to just before we head home.
Hope you enjoyed my post and hope some people can get some ideas for their rigs just as I got inspiration from reading every one else's builds.
Regards
TM6
If you don't go you will never know.
ToyotaMan006

Re: SR Build

Postby TOYZX on Sun, 04 Sep 2016 4:50 +0000

Nice one mate

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby ToyotaMan006 on Sun, 04 Sep 2016 5:36 +0000

Thanks Toyzx, Not as flash as most but gets the job done. :D
ToyotaMan006

Postby The.Durry on Mon, 05 Sep 2016 6:37 +0000

I think decent rubber is one of the best mods anyone can do, but having recently done it I understand completely. Keep going mate, looks good.
The.Durry

Postby taresk on Mon, 05 Sep 2016 9:42 +0000

Looking good mate, it's a shame Toyota don't fit them with 7" wide rims, that extra half inch is all it takes to open up a world of great tyre choices.

It's good to see what can be done on a tight budget, my own build stalled due to finances, so I can relate to the struggle for finding good upgrades for minimal outlay.
taresk

Postby ToyotaMan006 on Tue, 06 Sep 2016 6:11 +0000

Thanks The.Durry and taresk, yes a big headache the wheels are, on the one side I want to go 235/85r 16 to fit my standard sr rims witch would probably be the cheapest option, just not sure about how legal it is but the pics I saw of them they seem to look the business and not very much out of place. Would probably get away with it anyway (stock standard officer, stock standard... :D. Can get a set of bf goodrich A/T's off ebay for $235 per tyre and 5 tyres delivered for $175 witch seem to be a good deal. Will first poke around the tyre shops to see what I can get there...only time will tell. I like the idea of spray painting the sidesteps black, might give that a shot sometime. For now my build would slow down a bit but will update as soon as I fitted the winch. Been sitting in the box and haunting me to fit it.
ToyotaMan006

Postby ToyotaMan006 on Sun, 11 Sep 2016 7:08 +0000

Been busy this weekend trying to find the annoying rattle from the passenger side airbag. Did not quite get it but have narrowed it down to the panel under the wiper blades, had door trims, a and b pillar trims and half of the dash out and the noise is still there :x .Will get some felt tape to secure the wiper panel during the week and check then.
After I installed my radio I got an USB and HDMI cables that I initially left in the glove box as it was the easiest thing to do. Still was a pain in the backside getting to it and using it so I thought to get it flush mounted to the dash somewhere and it is easy to access. I got a cable off eBay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Car-Flush-Mo ... SwPcVVliWV and installed that over the weekend. Now it is just a bit easier to get to and use, no annoying cables in the glove box. just added 2 pics of the install.
ImageImage
ToyotaMan006

Postby ToyotaMan006 on Mon, 24 Oct 2016 7:01 +0000

At last, got something done to the old lux, finally fitted my Domin8r 12000lbs winch to my ARB commercial bulbar. Was surprised how easy it was, just removed the lower plate at the bottom of the bulbar and there were heaps of room in there. fairly easy to fit also and it came out pretty good. Had to get an offset fairlead as the one supplied with the winch did not fit properly.

As I had the light bar on the bulbar I could not fit the control box on top of the bulbar and the wiring was also too short to reach from the engine bay, I just "manipulated' the mounting plate for the control box to make it fit between the grill and the radiator, still easy to reach and out of the way. Spray painted the mounting plate yellow as it was the only paint I had available at the time. Only have to open the bonnet to plug the remote in, got the wireless remote with the winch so will try that out one day or maybe wire in some rocker switches. Also spooled the rope by hand so far, still need to do it properly with the full weight of the vehicle but will try and sort that out as soon as possible. Now just to get stuck and try it out...
ToyotaMan006

Postby Fazz on Tue, 25 Oct 2016 2:49 +0000

Looks the goods mate :)
Fazz

Postby orange on Tue, 25 Oct 2016 5:01 +0000

Mate nice build! looks very similar to my hilux!
orange

Postby ToyotaMan006 on Wed, 26 Apr 2017 7:52 +0000

Ordered a set of Prado steel wheels 16x7 p15 from e-bay. Got all 4 delivered to my door for $285. Still waiting for them to arrive but making plans for the tyres already. I am set on Toyo at2 at size 265/75r16. would probably need flares for them to fit properly.... any advice on what size flares to get as I have an SR? Or even a cheap alternative like rubber flares but what size flare to get then?
I spent ages reading the posts in the tyre section and still confused.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Last edited by ToyotaMan006 on Fri, 12 May 2017 2:10 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
ToyotaMan006

Postby ToyotaMan006 on Fri, 12 May 2017 2:06 +0000

Finally some progress, got rid of the cheese cutters and got some proper rubber, Went with the Prado 120 GXL steel rims(16X7 P15) and some Toyo AT2's in LT265/75R16. Very happy with my choice as I was worried the rims and tyres would be poking out way too much but it just comes past the SR wheel arches only just by about 5mm roughly.Very happy but the brakes literally clears the brake callipers by 0.40mm as i measured with the feeler gauge. Will keep an eye out on that but I think all should be ok. Did a proper wheel alignment to minimise the slight rubbing on sharp turns up steep driveways and all seems sweet now. Just need to test them off road :D
ToyotaMan006

Return to Member Build Ups