Jayden's Dlux

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Jayden's Dlux

Postby Hypersprint on Sat, 14 May 2016 11:48 +0000

Decided i wanted to share everything i have done to my 06 SR5 Hilux. I bought it December 2010 as a not so sneaky Christmas pressie to myself. I was 18 years old, owned a 1993 petrol hilux which Dad and i spent months cutting out rust and painting up.

I had wanted one of those "new" look hilux's since i had seen one but never thought i could afford it. i had decided that i would buy ex mines sr model.... but then this beauty showed up, SR5 Stock as a rock... the perfect 4x4 for me to build up exactly as i wanted.
First thing first. the new rig needed a Bullbar and some spotties. I went for the TJM alloy deluxe, winch compatible for the future, light weight with a strong steel plate protecting the important bits. Plus a pair of Xray Vision 50watt HID spot lights.
Image[/URL
[URL=http://s1086.photobucket.com/user/Jayden_Baker/media/7.jpg.html]Image

shortly after i upgraded to a fresh set of BFG MK2 mud terrain tires, 31x10.5.
Fitted a Safari Snorkel as we had begun to plan a trip to the Kimberly's.
by this time dad and I where well into planning a Trip to Gibb River Road. my first time driving past lancelin and it would turn into a 10,000km trip.
up north we got the cars covered from top to bottom, Image
found some water, didnt quite need that snorkel but glad i had it anyway.
Got back from our trip and got strait back into the new toys, 2 inch lift from West Coast Suspension.
Fitted it over the weekend with the old boy. handy having someone who actually knows what they are doing.
Took a drive down Moore River and loved the change in terrain and scenery. until Dads pajero got a tad stuck. luckily we had this Weapon of a jeep (Don't tell anyone i said that about a Jeep).

This little drama brought me to my next bit of gear...
Finally making use of that steel plate hidden in my bull bar. 13,000 Lbs winch. ive used it atleast 10 times since fitting it. Recently had to strip it down and remove some internal rust but it is working again, like brand new...

This was the biggest part for me to do..... The canopy. Pulled the tub liner out and found it chaifed and rusty. Sanded and sprayed the inside of the well body.Image
i chose the Razorback/SMM steal canopy, it looked the best by far, Didnt need internal frame work for a roof rack, electronic locking, lights interior lining. a real nice bit of kit.
3 months after it was fitted it started to rust... Great $3.5K on a canopy and it rusts. it took a further 4 months for them to organise the respray. then the gas struts on one side failed... then the window seals started falling apart. then the side window randomly shattered... the point i am making is don't buy there overpriced Scrap steel.
Before all the rust and chaos however we started work on the Drawers... Steel frame, ply wood top and drawers
Image[/URL
[URL=http://s1086.photobucket.com/user/Jayden_Baker/media/22.jpg.html]Image
Bought a Drop down slide for the engel. make life a little easier. Well worth every dollar.
Fitted charging plugs for my Remote controlled cars aswell as a few ciggy lighter plugs for lights and charging
Then a LED strip along the rear window, light up the camp kitchen.
Color coded shovel for an added touch of wank factor. then I printed out a custom design on perforated vinyl to keep everyone's eyes out.
Picked up a 2mx2.5m Tigers awning for some added camp comfort.
Local canvas makers made me up a sheet to fit into the end as a wind break.
I was approaching my end goal for the Rig. becoming more and more self sufficient.
Lighting was my next plan.
Curved LED lightbar for the roof, plus LED flood lights on both sides and the rear, as camp, night trailing and reversing lights.
So near to my goals, i still needed more self sufficiency. been able to carry fuel + an extra wheel was a must for me.
i was quite impressed with the price of the powerful 4x4 rear wheel carriers. they're cheaper because the finish is not perfect... so what, i spent $1300 for a steel duel wheel carrier / jerry can holder, all led's with a 3tonne towing ratting ( apparently, theres no rating plate so i wouldnt trust it for 3 tonne but who knows).
made up a nice number plate holder/light to keep the police happy. come up pretty nice.
then just this weekend i fitted my fold out Solar panel to the roof. moved the electrics to the drawers so i could monitor it easily.

The car has really come together. its taken 5 1/2 years and its not quite there but Oh so close...

One of the last few things left to do is a Rear E Locker

On the side i couldnt help but Rebuild the camp BBQ and color code it.

and somewhere along the way i picked up my awesome Co-driver Jäger. Since he was 8 weeks old he has loved going for drives. took a while to get used to the bumps of 4x4ing but he is getting there.

If anyone see's me out on the tracks or setup on the beach, come say hi. Usual camp/play grounds are along wilbinga.

I'll see yas on the tracks!
Hypersprint

Re: Jayden's Dlux

Postby Jacko9 on Sat, 14 May 2016 11:50 +0000

Looks great mate! Liking the read so far.
Jacko9

Postby TOYZX on Sun, 15 May 2016 8:30 +0000

Nice one mate!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Jayden's Dlux

Postby gold member on Sun, 15 May 2016 8:41 +0000

Nice build mate, you've done well!m and have set your rig up awesomely. What battery management system are you running with regards to the solar? Keen to run solar myself. Like the draws too well done . Might see you out and about around Perth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gold member

Postby miccos on Sun, 15 May 2016 1:24 +0000

Hey nice work man looks good!

When you removed your tub liner, what did you use to get rid of the leftover adhesive on the top of the tub walls? Looking at doing the same in the next few weeks.
miccos

Postby snakesoup on Sun, 15 May 2016 3:58 +0000

hi Jayden, you have done very nicely in setting this thing up , looks great!!
how does the hilux go up against the old mans pajero?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
snakesoup

Postby Mug64 on Sun, 15 May 2016 3:58 +0000

Looks good!
Mug64

Postby Hypersprint on Sun, 15 May 2016 8:12 +0000

gold member wrote:Nice build mate, you've done well!m and have set your rig up awesomely. What battery management system are you running with regards to the solar? Keen to run solar myself. Like the draws too well done . Might see you out and about around Perth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers mate, I had previously ran some heavy duty cable to hardmount an arb compressor in the side compartment of the drawers ( i forgot to mention), that runs directly to the battery via the fuse that is already on the compressor. all I did in the end was make up a extender with some reasonably heavy duty wire with the original plugs and joined it to the compressor power feed after moving the solar panels indicator, light box..... thing to the drawers.

miccos wrote:Hey nice work man looks good!

When you removed your tub liner, what did you use to get rid of the leftover adhesive on the top of the tub walls? Looking at doing the same in the next few weeks.

i used Mineral Turpentine to get rid of the adhesive and afterwards some metholated spirits to clean up.

snakesoup wrote:hi Jayden, you have done very nicely in setting this thing up , looks great!!
how does the hilux go up against the old mans pajero?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have to admit.. the Pajero is a very understated 4x4. quite often he tows his home built camper trailer to the beach at Wilbinga. on rutted climbs his Paj with traction control is hands down better suited then my Hilux ( with its brick inspired flex and useless " LSD " ) but I'm happy to say he has never gotten anywhere i couldn't, and I've out done him a few times. aswell as my winch has been used for him more times then myself =).
Hypersprint

Return to Member Build Ups